Training Camp 2021

Bobby816

To be fair, when I see other rookie QB highlights on other teams. They are either against no pass rush or the pass rusher would have sacked them in a real game but ran by them and then they threw the pass.

I'll wait until real games to hold my judgement.  I have a article of Mahomes throwing 6 INTs in practices.  Wilson is going to go through struggles this season, its important we develop  a run game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

If Wilson doesn’t start to make strides (let’s say he doesn’t look much better in preseason than he has in the scrimmage) do you still start him week one just because? Surely there has to be some risk there.

I don't think we're going to sit him for Josh Johnson, so we may not have a choice. I think he'll be fine, but I really believe we waited too late to sign a vet QB for him to learn the small things from. 

No player learns everything from coaches. Wilson is coming from BYU having to learn how to prep, study film, train, read defenses, and command the locker room in New York without an example. I seriously don't know a great QB out there that didn't have a former starter with them during their rookie season. So I hope fans show some patients during the first few weeks of the season because he has a lot to learn. 

I love Wilson’s answers to making mistakes. Even if this year is a tough one for him there’s no question that he has the arm and the brain to make improvements. Would rather he struggle and learn now and continue to make the most of all these reps.  By week 1 he should be a lot more comfortable even if it’s still a work in progress. 

Not sure what some of you were expecting from Wilson. But IMO this is normal for a guy like him. Let's remember (as I said in pre draft discussions on him)... it's not like he was a 2-3yr starting SEC QB going against top defenses and was crazy prepared for the talent on defense being vastly better. He came from BYU where they pretty much play no one. So of course there will be struggles. As expected. I wasn't expecting him to light up the league. I actually expect a very Darnold like rookie season from him (but with him hopefully playing all 17 games). Where the numbers and wins don't jump out at you... but the skill set is shown and the progression is shown. I expect him to do better than that Darnold rookie season bc our talent level on offense is vastly superior now, so that should help a good amount. But what I'm pretty much saying is I think anyone who is "worried" about him. needs to not worry. And just maybe calm down on what they thought the expectations of him will be. He's a rookie QB of a 2 win season with a 1st year HC.

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I don't think we're going to sit him for Josh Johnson, so we may not have a choice. I think he'll be fine, but I really believe we waited too late to sign a vet QB for him to learn the small things from. 

No player learns everything from coaches. Wilson is coming from BYU having to learn how to prep, study film, train, read defenses, and command the locker room in New York without an example. I seriously don't know a great QB out there that didn't have a former starter with them during their rookie season. So I hope fans show some patients during the first few weeks of the season because he has a lot to learn. 

He’s got a rough slate to begin the season, so I expect a slow start. I agree we waited too long to sign a vet, I wanted him to sit for a bit all along, but clearly the Jets don’t share that sentiment.

My only concern is if he continues to struggle through preseason (which is a big if, and he would probably have to look “lost”) putting him out there game day could lead to mechanics breakdowns, confidence issues etc. but I don’t think Saleh would truly allow that to happen.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not sure what some of you were expecting from Wilson. But IMO this is normal for a guy like him. Let's remember (as I said in pre draft discussions on him)... it's not like he was a 2-3yr starting SEC QB going against top defenses and was crazy prepared for the talent on defense being vastly better. He came from BYU where they pretty much play no one. So of course there will be struggles. As expected. I wasn't expecting him to light up the league. I actually expect a very Darnold like rookie season from him (but with him hopefully playing all 17 games). Where the numbers and wins don't jump out at you... but the skill set is shown and the progression is shown. I expect him to do better than that Darnold rookie season bc our talent level on offense is vastly superior now, so that should help a good amount. But what I'm pretty much saying is I think anyone who is "worried" about him. needs to not worry. And just maybe calm down on what they thought the expectations of him will be. He's a rookie QB of a 2 win season with a 1st year HC.

Agreed 100%. He has the right mindset for where he's at, he'll be just fine. 

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

He’s got a rough slate to begin the season, so I expect a slow start. I agree we waited too long to sign a vet, I wanted him to sit for a bit all along, but clearly the Jets don’t share that sentiment.

My only concern is if he continues to struggle through preseason (which is a big if, and he would probably have to look “lost”) putting him out there game day could lead to mechanics breakdowns, confidence issues etc. but I don’t think Saleh would truly allow that to happen.

Yeah, if Lance, Fields, and Lawrence start lighting it up early, it's going to be rough from the fans/media. JJ is well experienced and pretty much seen it all, so he maybe able to help. 

My concern is him not mentally ready for reading defenses and learning how to adapt throughout the season. Also, him managing different egos on the field when things go wrong is something he'll learn to deal with. It won't be him alone, but players will be looking for him to speak up when needed. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

it's not like he was a 2-3yr starting SEC QB going against top defenses and was crazy prepared for the talent on defense being vastly better

I gotta comment on this.  Your point is absolutely logical but the reality is SEC QB’s have some pretty horrible histories. I will not rehash the argument about the failures of Bama or LSU QB’s (you can throw OSU in here also) but the point that they also played in elite offenses kind of offsets the playing against elite defenses.  On the surface Big 4 QB’s should be better prepared for NFL D’s but they just don’t pan out as much as one would expect. If anyone on here is going to school for sports, it might make an interesting thesis. 

The future hall of famer, Trevor Lawrence, is not having a better camp than Zack.  Time will tell. 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

I just heard Mims had bad food poisoning from eating bad salmon at the Jets facility 2 months ago. He lost 20#. He gained 10 back so far. I think the Jets coaches are just easing home back in.

Listen to nothing from the media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, if Lance, Fields, and Lawrence start lighting it up early, it's going to be rough from the fans/media. JJ is well experienced and pretty much seen it all, so he maybe able to help. 

My concern is him not mentally ready for reading defenses and learning how to adapt throughout the season. Also, him managing different egos on the field when things go wrong is something he'll learn to deal with. It won't be him alone, but players will be looking for him to speak up when needed. 

I don’t think it’s a reading defense issue. Like he said he’s trying to see what he can and can’t get away with and he won’t know until he makes the throw and it’s better to be done in practice. Now if he was throwing the ball over guys heads or into the dirt then we should be concerned.