Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, ekill08x said:

our roster is really bad lol. 4-13. i can already feel it. we will be picking top 5 again.

I have said this so many times over the years but by constantly having ‘young guys’ developing and not any proven quality through the squad it’s very difficult for the younger players to do all the right things they need to maximise their potential.
 

What’s troubling to me is the history of our draft picks already through JD’s couple of years here. We have preached on here that the successful teams draft well especially in those middle rounds. They build your roster not hitting on top 5 picks. 
 

Zuniga and Morgan are gone. Perine has looked the worst of all the running backs we have. Clark hasn’t played and won’t again this year.  I like Mims but he’s been barely getting any time with the 1’s. Davis is meh and not really anyone we can count on and wouldn’t shock me if he doesn’t do anything again for a second straight year as he’s been injured all camp.

That leaves Becton and our punter. Not a great start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Today was a loss for us IMO. We cut a starting CB and did nothing worth a darn on the waiver wire when we’re 2nd on it. Bringing in a few guys that won’t play for us. Or I should say shouldn’t play for us.

So on a day where we should’ve been adding talent. We instead cut a starter

Austin was not a starter he was awful. Sick a tired of watching him get cooked week in and week out last season.  Not losing sleep over him whatsoever.  If Echols has a rough year at least there is hope he can improve.  Austin is a scrub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Austin was not a starter he was awful. Sick a tired of watching him get cooked week in and week out last season.  Not losing sleep over him whatsoever.  If Echols has a rough year at least there is hope he can improve.  Austin is a scrub.

Why give Austin starting reps all camp then? If he was garbage these rookies should’ve got reps over him. But they didn’t. So if Austin is garbage then it was a waste to give him the starting reps like we did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Why give Austin starting reps all camp then? If he was garbage these rookies should’ve got reps over him. But they didn’t. So if Austin is garbage then it was a waste to give him the starting reps like we did.

Echols got starting reps and so did Dunn at times.  It wasn't exclusive to Austin.  Even Hall took some 2nd team reps from what I recall a few days.  We were mixing and matching most of camp.  Austin had a leg up being the vet of the group so he started as the default starter I guess.

They gave Austin every chance to win the job and he didn't because he isn't very good.  Not sure what else to tell you.  Shouldn't be upset losing a bad player is my point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What annoys me is having all these talented but untested youngsters playing such a crucial position but yet have zero experienced quality guys in the building.

I know Sherman has had his issues recently but there’s so many quality vets available each year and for some reason we have (as a fan base) this obsessed thing with not bringing in vets because we’ve been burned in the past. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Echols got starting reps and so did Dunn at times.  It wasn't exclusive to Austin.  Even Hall took some 2nd team reps from what I recall a few days.  We were mixing and matching most of camp.  Austin had a leg up being the vet of the group so he started as the default starter I guess.

They gave Austin every chance to win the job and he didn't because he isn't very good.  Not sure what else to tell you.  Shouldn't be upset losing a bad player is my point.

I don’t disagree. I’m not this big Austin fan. What I am a fan of is clearing up who is starting generally 10 days before the season starts. If he was even a candidate to get cut. Then you give the young guys nearly all the starting reps so they’re more prepared. Now we cut a guy who got most the 1st team reps at CB and will be starting guys who missed out on starting exposure in TC. Just a fail if you ask me. These young guys should’ve got more starting reps if it was a possibility of us cutting Austin at all. Which clearly it was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

I have said this so many times over the years but by constantly having ‘young guys’ developing and not any proven quality through the squad it’s very difficult for the younger players to do all the right things they need to maximise their potential.
 

What’s troubling to me is the history of our draft picks already through JD’s couple of years here. We have preached on here that the successful teams draft well especially in those middle rounds. They build your roster not hitting on top 5 picks. 
 

Zuniga and Morgan are gone. Perine has looked the worst of all the running backs we have. Clark hasn’t played and won’t again this year.  I like Mims but he’s been barely getting any time with the 1’s. Davis is meh and not really anyone we can count on and wouldn’t shock me if he doesn’t do anything again for a second straight year as he’s been injured all camp.

That leaves Becton and our punter. Not a great start. 

If you read my post on Aug 29 about 50 years of fifth thru seventh or even thru 12 rounds draft picks it is shocking only one pick in all those years was a star and that was Center Joe Fields in 1974, we had three other players who were serviceable but not the kind of players who will take you to the playoffs. Our problem no matter who the  GM has been over the years their drafting has been pathetic. Only the Sonny Weblin, years did we  draft great. To me Joe Douglas so far is doing a good job. I think most of us are upset about all the strange moves we made yesterday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My belief with Austin is that he was given every opportunity to seize the job but did not show enough for the coaching staff to say he’s the guy. I really think they wanted him to win the job but he just could not.

To me it is not a loss. At this point our CB’s are going to suffer anyway. Might as well see if someone else can blossom.

This year was all about the O. Protecting Zach and giving him the weapons to succeed. Get that established then attack the D next year, especially the DB spots. Let’s not forget we lost two starting front 7 players and a rotational third player. Can’t predict that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xrade said:

My belief with Austin is that he was given every opportunity to seize the job but did not show enough for the coaching staff to say he’s the guy. I really think they wanted him to win the job but he just could not.

To me it is not a loss. At this point our CB’s are going to suffer anyway. Might as well see if someone else can blossom.

This year was all about the O. Protecting Zach and giving him the weapons to succeed. Get that established then attack the D next year, especially the DB spots. Let’s not forget we lost two starting front 7 players and a rotational third player. Can’t predict that.

I don't think releasing him is a loss. I think the loss is the missed opportunity to give the rookies more reps over the last couple months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think releasing him is a loss. I think the loss is the missed opportunity to give the rookies more reps over the last couple months.

I hear you and it does appear a bit puzzling on the surface. But I just really think the coaches wanted him to start and gave him every opportunity. It wasn’t until decision time arrived that they decided he ain’t gonna be the guy.

I agree that it would have been wiser to do that sooner and give whomever more reps with the 1’s, but I am not in the rooms and don’t know what they were really trying to accomplish.  
 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They just wanted to see if Bless would make a difference but really didn't. The young guys were going to get the reps with or without him anyway. Hints why people like Dunn was getting reps with the 1's so early at practice. I'm glad they at least gave Bless a try. 

S.Lawson, Rankins, QW, and (DE tryouts) should still be a good enough line. The LB group will likely be trash, but Williams gives Sherwood/Nas a chance to develop while rotating . That's great news to me. DBs, I think one of the young guys will eventually prove to be a long term answer. It's just going to take time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

They just wanted to see if Bless would make a difference but really didn't. The young guys were going to get the reps with or without him anyway. Hints why people like Dunn was getting reps with the 1's so early at practice. I'm glad they at least gave Bless a try. 

S.Lawson, Rankins, QW, and (DE tryouts) should still be a good enough line. The LB group will likely be trash, but Williams gives Sherwood/Nas a chance to develop while rotating . That's great news to me. DBs, I think one of the young guys will eventually prove to be a long term answer. It's just going to take time. 

Rick, when you come into the NFL, after four years of high school and four years of college you either have it or you don't have it. There is no time of any NFL team to develop players,  sure they can tweak their game, but with the new CBA there is a lot less practice time. Without any kind of pass rushing game I don't care who the CB is they are going to have a problem. Only the players who are on the taxi squad have a chance to develop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care if Saleh believes that those late round and UDFA CBs have top end skills to perform in pro. Having a bunch of young and inexperienced players to handle critical situations in front of NEW YORK PEOPLE is the dumbest plan ever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Rick, when you come into the NFL, after four years of high school and four years of college you either have it or you don't have it. There is no time of any NFL team to develop players,  sure they can tweak their game, but with the new CBA there is a lot less practice time. Without any kind of pass rushing game I don't care who the CB is they are going to have a problem. Only the players who are on the taxi squad have a chance to develop.

That's a yes and no. Out of the last 10 years, there are a lot of "Hybrid LB/S" players who have failed. Even some of the top picks didn't do well. Fulltime college safeties can't just become NFL LBs. Just take a minute to look up how many have tried it and are actually good. Playing in the box as a safety in college is way different from being a NFL LB. 

You have to physically adapt to facing 300lbs OL coming at you every snap, how to play zone with TEs/WRs running behind you, and etc. With that being said, there is no way we could expect Nas/Sherwood just to walk into the position as late round picks and be ready. With vet LBs they can easily rotate with, now they have a better chance of developing into their role. 

The only thing that would have happened if they were handed the starting roles is that they would have struggled just like the rest of them and by week 6 we're making mock drafts with real LBs replacing them. Now they can still gain experience while adding weight and adapting to their roles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...