Cowboys 2021 Training Camp

textaz03

He's been throwing in practice since Saturday. This to me just seems like a follow-up MRI. If it was anything of concern I think the team would of kept him out or shut him down. Or at least I hope they would of done that if they knew about it still bothering him.

19 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I’m feeling a little concerned.

It's probably a precaution.  I am worried about our backup QB though.  Not comfortable at all with our depth.  Off season isn't over.  I'm expecting us to sign/acquire a more experienced backup before the season starts.

4 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I just saw Jaylon Smith’s blown play from Friday’s game. Wow, that was terrible.

Are you talking about the U tube play where LVE ended up chasing a RB out of bounds.  that was interesting to watch.   My take on the play:   

While Jaylon was on the edge before the ball was hiked you could see his eyes and focus was on the QB, While LVE seemed to be focused on the back field.  AS the ball was hiked Jaylon stayed in position and kept watching the QB and actaully moved slightly forward.   LVE moved to his right as the OL moved that direction and the back took a jab step to the left.  As the QB started to go back Jaylon started to move forward even more toward the QB. By this time the RB was now moving to Jaylon's left and Jaylon was still focused on the QB.  The QB then pitched the ball wide to the RB.  Seconds after the pitch LVE then stopped changed directions and started running to his left now.   Jaylon also stopped moving toward the QB and started running toward the RB. But by this time the RB had already out flanked him wide.  By the time Jaylon was at full "speed" heading to the RB, the RB had too much lead and yes the edge.  LVE was also moving toward the RB but like Jaylon was way out of position also by being fooled by the misdirection. Still LVE had a better angle then Jaylon being 6-7 yards more downfield and was able to keep the RB from fully going upfield. 

NOW my issue with the play. What was Jaylon's assignment.  The QB, or the RB.   Either way Jaylon did a terrible job, I am guessing he was assigned the QB based on looking at how he reacted after the initial snap. In which case Jaylon had real bad situational awareness of the play.  Jaylon needed to be much more a tune to what the QB was doing and capable of reacting to the pitch.  Committing like that toward the QB and totally disregarding what the QB and RB are doing as a tandem is bad football and yes one of the reasons he had such a terrible year last year. Being fooled and too easily putting him self out of position is a major issue of his.  

But also please take NOTE...  LVE responded to this play almost as badly as Jaylon.  LVE had no business committing as well to the feint of the OL while the RB was staying put.  LVE should have been mirroring the RB, not out of position so much that the RB could get 6-7 yards down field with the ball.  

Plays like this was one of the reasons we had such a terrible time stopping the run wide.  OUR D was too easily fooled our influenced to put themselves out of position to make the play.  

I noticed yesterday that Cox got a lot of praise.   While I saw Cox make some excellent plays.  A tackle early in the game for a loss stands out, and him doing a good job staying in step with a RB in coverage also.  Still I saw a lot that really concerned me.  Numerous times I saw Cox took him self out of plays by engaging with OL in a bad way.  YOUR LB need to either shoot the gap and avoid the block or stay back and flow to one side or the other. Not trying to take on the lineman like you are a DL.   There is a vid out there showing Parsons doing a great job of avoiding the block of the DL with a side step and then moving forward to make the stop on the RB.

Edited by quiller
spelling

39 minutes ago, quiller said:

Are you talking about the U tube play where LVE ended up chasing a RB out of bounds.  that was interesting to watch.   My take on the play:   

While Jaylon was on the edge before the ball was hiked you could see his eyes and focus was on the QB, While LVE seemed to be focused on the back field.  AS the ball was hiked Jaylon stayed in position and kept watching the QB and actaully moved slightly forward.   LVE moved to his right as the OL moved that direction and the back took a jab step to the left.  As the QB started to go back Jaylon started to move forward even more toward the QB. By this time the RB was now moving to Jaylon's left and Jaylon was still focused on the QB.  The QB then pitched the ball wide to the RB.  Seconds after the pitch LVE then stopped changed directions and started running to his left now.   Jaylon also stopped moving toward the QB and started running toward the RB. But by this time the RB had already out flanked him wide.  By the time Jaylon was at full "speed" heading to the RB, the RB had too much lead and yes the edge.  LVE was also moving toward the RB but like Jaylon was way out of position also by being fooled by the misdirection. Still LVE had a better angle then Jaylon being 6-7 yards more downfield and was able to keep the RB from fully going upfield. 

NOW my issue with the play. What was Jaylon's assignment.  The QB, or the RB.   Either way Jaylon did a terrible job, I am guessing he was assigned the QB based on looking at how he reacted after the initial snap. In which case Jaylon had real bad situational awareness of the play.  Jaylon needed to be much more a tune to what the QB was doing and capable of reacting to the pitch.  Committing like that toward the QB and totally disregarding what the QB and RB are doing as a tandem is bad football and yes one of the reasons he had such a terrible year last year. Being fooled and too easily putting him self out of position is a major issue of his.  

But also please take NOTE...  LVE responded to this play almost as badly as Jaylon.  LVE had no business committing as well to the feint of the OL while the RB was staying put.  LVE should have been mirroring the RB, not out of position so much that the RB could get 6-7 yards down field with the ball.  

Plays like this was one of the reasons we had such a terrible time stopping the run wide.  OUR D was too easily fooled our influenced to put themselves out of position to make the play.  

I noticed yesterday that Cox got a lot of praise.   While I saw Cox make some excellent plays.  A tackle early in the game for a loss stands out, and him doing a good job staying in step with a RB in coverage also.  Still I saw a lot that really concerned me.  Numerous times I saw Cox took him self out of plays by engaging with OL in a bad way.  YOUR LB need to either shoot the gap and avoid the block or stay back and flow to one side or the other. Not trying to take on the lineman like you are a DL.   There is a vid out there showing Parsons doing a great job of avoiding the block of the DL with a side step and then moving forward to make the stop on the RB.

Cox is a rookie, so some mistakes are going to happen. I'm more worried about Jaylon or LVE making those kind of mistakes as veterans. 

On 8/15/2021 at 3:41 PM, D82 said:

Cox is a rookie, so some mistakes are going to happen. I'm more worried about Jaylon or LVE making those kind of mistakes as veterans. 

I was not trying to be critical of Cox per say.  Mostly I was pointing out things I was seeing he was doing that hopefully will be addressed in the proper way, though again not being in the training study who knows just what is expected of him.  My views on LVE and Jaylon are convoluted.  Basically I want every Cowboy who steps on the field to perform to their best.  Too many times, especially in the past regime I felt a lot of defensive players especially were put in situations and expected to make plays that were beyond their capabilities.  This lead to epic failure. The coaches use the word simplify which I think is accurate but misleading.   Personally I think when I hear simplify I take it to mean the player is expected to think less on the field.  When you play at the professional level in most all sports during the moment the less you have to think the better, if you have to think then your in trouble because stopping to think takes time you do not have to make plays. An example would be to tell Jaylon, not try to read what the QB is going to do. Instead your job is to protect the edge, do not let any one out flank you, then see the ball tackle the ball.  Then LVE should have the mindset my job is to beat the RB to what ever spot he is going to.  Focus on the RB/QB due.  Do not over commit to one side or the other make sure you stay in position to keep the RB contained which ever side he goes.  That plus TRUST your teammates.  IT is the DL's job to react to the OL.  It was the EDGE on the strong side who was responsible for setting the edge to help keep the RB contained to give you time to make the play not your job to over commit to one side before you know where the ball is even going.

Hey gentlemen, hope all is well in Cowboy land. Hate to ask this here, but i didn't see a more appropriate thread. This is a fantasy question....

I'm able to keep either Zeke or Keenan Allen this year in my PPR league. Doesn't cost me a specific draft pick. Allen is very enticing with Herbert, but Zeke is Zeke. With Dak back, i'm assuming he will be a fantasy king again, but i'm wondering how you all feel about this? My main concern is how great the Oline had been the last 5 or so years, i feel like it's not as good now. Am i on target? You all may have some bias about Zeke for better or worse, but should i expect him to bounce back this year? Thank you all!