Tom Brady played with a torn MCL in 2020

Xenos

11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'd also argue that no one should be allowed to play on a torn MCL or other similar injuries. They need to take that out of the players hands entirely if a focus on player safety is anything more than a PR stunt.

I'm no doctor so I have no idea if I'm right or wrong, but I don't think Brady would be playing if there was a serious chance of making the injury worse.  Probably just had to deal with the pain.

17 minutes ago, Starless said:

Tom Brady defeated Satan in a fiddle contest.

I think this is actually his punishment - he's destined to play football forever, even as the aches and pains mount up.

We're going to hear about a 65 year old Tom Brady winning a SB with a broken back, and we'll see the pain written on his face...

• Like 2

Just now, ET80 said:

I think this is actually his punishment - he's destined to play football forever, even as the aches and pains mount up.

We're going to hear about a 65 year old Tom Brady winning a SB with a broken back, and we'll see the pain written on his face...

Truly the modern Prometheus.

He stole .5 PSI of air from some balls, and now he has to get wrecked by 300-pound men for all eternity. 

• Like 1

I was saying all of last season saying he didn't look quite himself and while still ridiculous to play at that level at his age, he wasn't quite as good as some had made out. 

But this... this is just insane. The guy has had goat wrapped up for years already. He's just taking the piss at this stage. 

7 minutes ago, Starless said:

Okay, so I have a question for anyone who has suffered the injury, or just knows a lot about them - is a torn MCL painful? Would playing with one be a matter of pain management, or would it be purely a mechanical issue?

I wouldn't call it on the same trajectory of another sort of knee injury, such as an ACL or PCL. The MCL is an "external" ligament (ACL/PCL are "internal" so to speak) so it's not grafting the entire patella structure to the tib/fib or femur. Now, if you stepped in a divot or took a direct shot to the knee, you'd probably suffer a catastrophic injury (ACL, MCL, LCL, Meniscus, patella tendon ruptures) but that's possible with any knee injury - more compromised parts, more chance to go ka-boom, y'know? It's uncomfortable, sure - but a shot of toradol and ice/compression when you're not playing, it's doable. 

Given Brady isn't a guy who relies on athletic ability, I could see pain management being the key component of his season. 

(I'm not a doctor, I just have bad knees).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Trojan said:

Tom Brady drinks electrolyte water and smoothies in the morning with his and eggs on avocado

Just remember to take those ends of the banana 🙂.

(I've always done that BTW. Never gave it a second thought until people went crazy that TB12 did it 😅)

41 minutes ago, Starless said:

Okay, so I have a question for anyone who has suffered the injury, or just knows a lot about them - is a torn MCL painful? Would playing with one be a matter of pain management, or would it be purely a mechanical issue?

When it happened to me, it wasn't so much a pain issue as a stability issue. Knee would give out from time to time, and the kneecap could move a good bit more than it should've. Knee brace helped a lot with both of those issues. But it's more of a reinjury risk than it is a pain or mobility issue. I don't think the pain would've been that much greater than what football players his age would be going through anyway, and he isn't at a quick twitch movement kind of position, so that's not a big deal. But it would've made a bad hit to the lower leg way more dangerous. A tear in a muscle that's supposed to hold the kneecap in place would make it was easier for a hit to the outside of the knee to just destroy the whole joint.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Tom Brady cheating again!!!!!!!!

...more like leveling the playing field.

Next up, he's going to overinflate footballs and watch every single bit of film with an Instagram filter that makes everything fuzzy.

51 minutes ago, ET80 said:

...more like leveling the playing field.

Next up, he's going to overinflate footballs and watch every single bit of film with an Instagram filter that makes everything fuzzy.

I could see him go the JPP route and try to win football games with 3 fingers to his throwing hand

Edited by Dalan162
  • Like 1

Andrew Luck had an rib injury in 2015 that never showed up on the injury report. He did miss 3 games with a shoulder injury at that time. The league didn’t sanction the Colt’s for that injury not being reported.

IF Brady didn’t miss any practice or games then I’m not sure why they should be punished.