Weighing Futures of Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy

soulman

On 7/23/2021 at 7:46 PM, soulman said:

I think that's entirely possible as well but where I was coming from is 1) There is no camp competition for #1, so.....2) Dalton gets the lions share of the reps with the 1st string, and.....3) Dalton will start the season as the #1 unless somehow he gets injured in camp.  This will not change no matter how frustrated Bears fandom may become.

I don't think Nagy is immovable, as far as his "plan" goes. If Fields clearly outshines Dalton, and/or Dalton stumbles, Nagy's seat is too warm for him to do the stupid thing and go with Dalton. Do I foresee it shaking out that way? No. But Fields is going to end up being a far, far better QB than Dalton, IMO. So...it's not out of the question. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't think Nagy is immovable, as far as his "plan" goes. If Fields clearly outshines Dalton, and/or Dalton stumbles, Nagy's seat is too warm for him to do the stupid thing and go with Dalton. Do I foresee it shaking out that way? No. But Fields is going to end up being a far, far better QB than Dalton, IMO. So...it's not out of the question. 

All this talk about Fields clearly out shining Dalton in camp is IMHO just so much pie in the sky thinking.

Dalton will be getting the majority of the reps with the first unit and he'll have a far better grasp of the offense than Fields will.  I have no doubt there are ways in which Fields can and will out shine Dalton but the sum total of what's gonna be expected of the #1 QB is more likely to fall Dalton's way at least for now.

While I don't believe Fields will catch up with Dalton this year in that respect I do believe there may come a time when those things he can do far better will weigh heavily enough in his favor that Nagy will consider starting him.  But....at that point I think it would be because the season is already lost or Nagy is trying to save it.

• 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

So do we make a new thread, or just change Pace and Nagy to Poles and Eberflus?

No, just put it as “current GM and current coach” so we don’t need to change it for the next failures too