Jonathan Wood: Grading The Roster/Offense

soulman

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

A 4.5 is much better (and realistic...whether I agree with the specific grading) number, is it not? 

I dunno.  It's all a bit subjective isn't it?

For all we know Rodgers only get an 8.5 for his MVP because it was Brady who beat him in the NFCC Game and won the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I dunno.  It's all a bit subjective isn't it?

For all we know Rodgers only get an 8.5 for his MVP because it was Brady who beat him in the NFCC Game and won the Super Bowl.

Maybe, I suppose. But Dalton isn't terrible. A sort of low-end starter? Sure. But he is very far from bad. To claim otherwise is simply ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Maybe, I suppose. But Dalton isn't terrible. A sort of low-end starter? Sure. But he is very far from bad. To claim otherwise is simply ridiculous. 

I don't even see him as a "low end starter" but admittedly that's a somewhat subjective option which is why I grade him higher than Wood did.

He's a very capable and experienced QB whose had the misfortune to play for some bad teams during his career in Cincy and also end up a starter in Dallas will little prior prep at a time when injuries decimate their offense.  I believe he's better than his stats indicate but not a top ten guy either.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, Heinz D. said:

Well, ummm...yeah.

The grades are moronic. He must be one those, "Shoulda kept Leno!" dumb****s. Plus...grading Fields as a below average QB? Ridiculous. 

He's grading for 2021. It's extremely likely that Fields will be a below average QB in 2021. That's assuming he plays at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

He's grading for 2021. It's extremely likely that Fields will be a below average QB in 2021. That's assuming he plays at all.

Or even more to the point Wood isn't actually grading Fields at all simply because he has no past performance at this level to grade on and we still don't know how much he'll play and when.  Including him in his grading process in any meaningful way would be speculation which he isn't doing.

9 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Below average, huh? Really? But that's such a...subjective thing. Although, I still might want to make a My Little Pony avatar bet on that statement. 

6 hours ago, soulman said:

Or even more to the point Wood isn't actually grading Fields at all simply because he has no past performance at this level to grade on and we still don't know how much he'll play and when.  Including him in his grading process in any meaningful way would be speculation which he isn't doing.

Then, as I said before, he shouldn't be grading anything. It's clickbait. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Below average, huh? Really? But that's such a...subjective thing. Although, I still might want to make a My Little Pony avatar bet on that statement. 

Then, as I said before, he shouldn't be grading anything. It's clickbait. 

To you maybe but based on the analytical nature of most of Wood's stuff most fans who click on it will move on soon enough when their eyes glaze over from all of the stats he uses to draw his conclusions.  Anyway, I don't believe he's all that highly followed which is why I post his stuff here.

Plus, clickbait typically needs a catchy title to rope people in right?

This is not a very catch title: https://dabearsblog.com/2021/grading-the-roster-offense

A catchy title would be "Bears offense rates somewhere between below average and sucks."  LOL

While I have no doubts that Fields is far ahead of where Tru was in the same timeframe, we kept hearing about how it takes 3 years to master this system (whatever butchered system we might claim) and Nagy showed little ability to adapt when the defense adapted to the Bears scheme.

I'm not sure where Fields would be ranked at, but I'm not totally sold that he would be a top 15 QB this year just due to the situation around him. Poor playcaller, suspect OL (absolutely has potential tho), stud WR with good depth, and solid depth at RB. All while learning a new system. Nagy drops the ceiling on ALL of those groups IMO. Right now we are built for a run-and-shoot style offense. Pound the rock, give the bulk of the targets to ARob, and use Mooney/Byrd/Goodwin to stretch the defense in hopes of big plays. Miller finds a role where he hopefully makes meaningful contributions. Kmet and Graham are safety nets and help Ifedi who likely still struggles in pass blacking.

Seems to me that both Pace and Nagy may have been given behind the hand assurances they'll have ample opportunity to show some offensive progress this year and quite possibly next.  Given all of the pots he's had a hand in stirring I believe Pace is far less in any kind of hot seat than Nagy is in.  Provided his draft picks and UDFA continue to show signs of improvement and Fields and Jenkins are solid as rookies he's safe.

Nagy on the other hand has gotten himself into a position where he must show that his schemes work and that his offense can score points.  Dalton is an experience vet whose had to learn far more than one offense in his career and he's working with an OC he's worked with before.  If Dalton fails to improve scoring he'll be QB failure #4 and I guess then we move on to QB #5 who is Fields and Nagy's hot seat will be in flames.

I have no idea how Phillips and GMcC will see it but for me Pace would have to come up with some very creative reasons for why Nagy should be retained going into his "lame duck" contract year.  Unless his offense starts scoring more than 17 points per game and we show up as a playoff contender despite our schedule I don't see how Pace can make the case for extending Nagy but this is the Bears so who the hell knows.

Yeah it is the Bears, and even if it weren't I think they're both here for 2-3 more years min barring a total collapse of the team.  McCaskey's seem to appreciate Pace and if last year didn't get Nagy fired I don't see how the Bears trademark trepidation doesn't kick in and they keep him to see what he can do with Fields.  I think they would be terrified of changing coaches and schemes on Fields after Mitch. 

Anyone want to do a Yahoo fantasy league with forum members?

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Yeah it is the Bears, and even if it weren't I think they're both here for 2-3 more years min barring a total collapse of the team.  McCaskey's seem to appreciate Pace and if last year didn't get Nagy fired I don't see how the Bears trademark trepidation doesn't kick in and they keep him to see what he can do with Fields.  I think they would be terrified of changing coaches and schemes on Fields after Mitch. 

I'd be interested.

22 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I’d probably be in.  Is been a few years since I’ve done a fantasy football league.

Ill make a separate thread for this so more people will see it.

• Like 1