Cam Akers Tears Achilles

BStanRamFan

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Mark Ingram is certainly someone to watch, but you have to think they would want to bring someone in for camp vs. waiting until the end of camp for someone to be cut and take longer to get up to speed. 

Oh Im sure we'll bring someone in for camp, but Im not sure that guy will be rosterable for the regular season.

Id bet there will be some veteran types who are going to be sitting at #3 on their depth charts that will be begging thier GMs to cut them loose in order to get a shot to come to the Rams (Ingram & Hyde as I mentioned, as well as some lesser names, maybe Barber, Gallman, Richard) But I would also be very interested in some rookies that teams will try to slide onto their Practice Squads as well

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Oh Im sure we'll bring someone in for camp, but Im not sure that guy will be rosterable for the regular season.

Id bet there will be some veteran types who are going to be sitting at #3 on their depth charts that will be begging thier GMs to cut them loose in order to get a shot to come to the Rams (Ingram & Hyde as I mentioned, as well as some lesser names, maybe Barber, Gallman, Richard) But I would also be very interested in some rookies that teams will try to slide onto their Practice Squads as well

Playing a rookie( a PS eligible rookie) scares me a little considering our window. Gallman is a very interesting name you mentioned. 

Looks like we will head into camp evaluating the talent on the roster currently. Smart move. I guess one way to view this in a positive light (not sure how any of this is positive) is that it happened BEFORE camp. 

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Playing a rookie( a PS eligible rookie) scares me a little considering our window. Gallman is a very interesting name you mentioned. 

I mean obviously none of this is ideal, but the thing is, teams have plucked 1000 yard rushers basically off the street. IF you can plug and play a guy in the NFL, RB is the spot you are able to do it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean obviously none of this is ideal, but the thing is, teams have plucked 1000 yard rushers basically off the street. IF you can plug and play a guy in the NFL, RB is the spot you are able to do it.

Yeah, which is why I’m cool with seeing what we have behind Henderson,.

I would reach out to the Colts about Marlon Mack. I'd also keep an eye on the Texans. If they are willing to part with Phillip Lindsay, I'd be very interested. If not, Mark Ingram and Rex Burkhead are worth watching. My concern is less about Henderson's ability to do the job well and more about his durability. I recognize Mack and Burkhead have durability questions too, but that at least spreads the risk a bit. Damien Williams on the Bears would be another name worth monitoring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

There arent alot of good options, most of the guys going to be named are washed, but I think Bell is well beyond his usefulness

AP is super plodding these days, and there sint much else out there as free agents right now. Duke Johnson, Dion Lewis and Chris Thompson could all be contributors, but arent giving us Akers production. 

Ive always thought T.J. Yeldon never got a real chance, and he had the talent to be a 1A back in a time share. 

But in reality, its probably going to be someone cut off the end of a roster. A Carlos Hyde, maybe Mark Ingram, those type of guys will likely be cut. 

I do like the idea of Royce Freeman, and honestly Id also be interested in Melvin Gordon (although his contract may be tough)

I'm not sure there's a worse fit for McVay's scheme than Melvin Gordon.  I watched him for years, he legitimately has the vision of Mr. Magoo.  If you don't utilize a FB or have a guard or tackle pulling to clearly show the path to follow, he's JAG who was propped up on production by the amount of usage he got for Wisconsin and the Chargers (if the Chargers did use one guy - and because Philip Rivers was never sent on QB sneaks - in goal line situations, resulting in high TD #'s), Gordon wouldn't have been seen by even people outside of the Chargers org as worth anymore more than the league minimum on a 2nd contract.

1 minute ago, Dr LBC said:

I'm not sure there's a worse fit for McVay's scheme than Melvin Gordon.  I watched him for years, he legitimately has the vision of Mr. Magoo.  If you don't utilize a FB or have a guard or tackle pulling to clearly show the path to follow, he's JAG who was propped up on production by the amount of usage he got for Wisconsin and the Chargers (if the Chargers did use one guy - and because Philip Rivers was never sent on QB sneaks - in goal line situations, resulting in high TD #'s), Gordon wouldn't have been seen by even people outside of the Chargers org as worth anymore more than the league minimum on a 2nd contract.

You are correct on ALL of this. But at this point, were going to be beyond lucky to find something more than JAG to spell Henderson some.

Its either going to be a guy who is actually cut, or a team doesnt really have much plans for and will take a VERY low draft pick for. Im not clamoring for Melvin in the slightest, but to me it would be a better option than 90% of the current Free Agent RBs. Just remember this system got a basically retired CJ Anderson to be productive in huge games.

Id love to grab a Royce Freeman, a Marlon Mack, a Boston Scott ,maybe a Benny Snell. I just wont believe that until it happens. 

1 hour ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Yeah, which is why I’m cool with seeing what we have behind Henderson,.

Yea, this might be alittle Homerish, but Im kinda looking at the Chargers. To see if they are going to cut loose with a new regime. And there is a long shot chance they try so slip Larry Roundtree on to their practice squad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I would reach out to the Colts about Marlon Mack. I'd also keep an eye on the Texans. If they are willing to part with Phillip Lindsay, I'd be very interested. If not, Mark Ingram and Rex Burkhead are worth watching. My concern is less about Henderson's ability to do the job well and more about his durability. I recognize Mack and Burkhead have durability questions too, but that at least spreads the risk a bit. Damien Williams on the Bears would be another name worth monitoring.

I'm honest, I'm not trading for anyone unless it's a conditional pick tied to either straight production benchmarks or something we can heavily manipulate (like # of snaps; which the only we'd have the excuse to not limit would be if we're looking like a league-force).  There are a number of RB's on rosters right now that I don't expect to make their final 53's - and there may well be some surprises in those names because of recent acquisitions by their teams and changes in front office staff meaning they weren't the ones who drafted these guys.  Let the preseason play out some or all and maybe you offer a 7th/conditional for a guy to avoid having to run the risk of waiver priority.

Kerryon Johnson is an outside possibility (I don't see a scenario barring an injury further up the RB depth chart where both he and Boston Scott both make the Eagles' final roster).  Dude has his own health concerns, but if he doesn't make Buffalo's roster (and I have trouble seeing them hold him as a RB4, so it Taiwan Jones - who has ST value - beats him out) Matt Breida knows and has succeeded in this offensive system previous.  Sony Michel has shown next to nothing as a pro so far, but he's on the bubble in New England.  Not that we'd want to depend on him, but John Kelly isn't making the Browns' regular season roster, I'd put money on it.  It'll be between Benny Snell and Kalen Ballage as to who gets cut from the Steelers (and at that point you raise the question of was Snell just that ineffective or was did Pittsburgh's OL just take that much of a nosedive - not mutually-exclusive, but I believe the later is at least true).  No one genuinely knows what the hell's going on in Houston, but all of those RB's aren't making the roster.  Troymaine Pope isn't anything special, but he can rumble and get yards consistently - and I don't see a scenario where he makes the Bucs roster at the expense of Lombardi Lenny, Ronald Jones, or Gio Bernard - so he's battling KeShawn Vaughn (who the team have draft capital invested in) and CJ Prosise for the RB4 spot.  Guarantee they won't trade him to us, but Rashad Penny has also got to be getting nearer and nearer to the bubble in Seattle too; and he's at least a year removed from the injury that kept him out all of last season.

Also, I won't jump to say that an Achilles is a career-ender for Akers unless it's revealed it was a complete rupture and not just a tear.  Durant has managed to come back at a more advanced age, in a sport where the Achilles is notably more crucial.  Not saying it's guaranteed, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

17 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I'm honest, I'm not trading for anyone unless it's a conditional pick tied to either straight production benchmarks or something we can heavily manipulate (like # of snaps; which the only we'd have the excuse to not limit would be if we're looking like a league-force).  There are a number of RB's on rosters right now that I don't expect to make their final 53's - and there may well be some surprises in those names because of recent acquisitions by their teams and changes in front office staff meaning they weren't the ones who drafted these guys.  Let the preseason play out some or all and maybe you offer a 7th/conditional for a guy to avoid having to run the risk of waiver priority.

Kerryon Johnson is an outside possibility (I don't see a scenario barring an injury further up the RB depth chart where both he and Boston Scott both make the Eagles' final roster).  Dude has his own health concerns, but if he doesn't make Buffalo's roster (and I have trouble seeing them hold him as a RB4, so it Taiwan Jones - who has ST value - beats him out) Matt Breida knows and has succeeded in this offensive system previous.  Sony Michel has shown next to nothing as a pro so far, but he's on the bubble in New England.  Not that we'd want to depend on him, but John Kelly isn't making the Browns' regular season roster, I'd put money on it.  It'll be between Benny Snell and Kalen Ballage as to who gets cut from the Steelers (and at that point you raise the question of was Snell just that ineffective or was did Pittsburgh's OL just take that much of a nosedive - not mutually-exclusive, but I believe the later is at least true).  No one genuinely knows what the hell's going on in Houston, but all of those RB's aren't making the roster.  Troymaine Pope isn't anything special, but he can rumble and get yards consistently - and I don't see a scenario where he makes the Bucs roster at the expense of Lombardi Lenny, Ronald Jones, or Gio Bernard - so he's battling KeShawn Vaughn (who the team have draft capital invested in) and CJ Prosise for the RB4 spot.  Guarantee they won't trade him to us, but Rashad Penny has also got to be getting nearer and nearer to the bubble in Seattle too; and he's at least a year removed from the injury that kept him out all of last season.

Also, I won't jump to say that an Achilles is a career-ender for Akers unless it's revealed it was a complete rupture and not just a tear.  Durant has managed to come back at a more advanced age, in a sport where the Achilles is notably more crucial.  Not saying it's guaranteed, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

I wouldn't offer much in a trade. But it's worth kicking the tires imo.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

This.

Henderson's injury history and Funk's injury history are cause for concern if the Rams going into camp with "what they have". Alot of good names being thrown around that seem to be realistic. Philip Lindsay would be great. Kalen Ballage is another name. Wayne Gallman. And obviously Mark Ingram. 

Glad the board is talking again...sad for the reason behind it lol

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 1:26 PM, StLunatic88 said:

I agree. Have we forgotten CJ Anderson? We got him literally off the couch late in the 2018 season when Gurley missed games and wasnt right. All Anderson did was dominate down the stretch and the Rams got to the Superbowl. That was not just with Gurley not being right but no Kupp. I still havent changed my opinion of the Rams for this season. I still think they get back to the divisional round of the playoffs then we see if Stafford can be the difference. And truth be told, I know McVay was hurt knowing Akers is lost for the season but part of him is probably excited because it really gives him a reason to dial up tons and tons of passing plays for Stafford and the receivers. We know Stafford is capable of having a 5000yd passing season. At least with Akers people would look at McVay and think "why arent you running more with him because he is a stud?". In the same way people did with Gurley when he was right. Now McVay can feel like we dont have the young stud Akers and Henderson is really good. I think better than just really good but nobody looks at him in the same was as Akers. So now McVay can feel free to just really let Stafford throw it all over the place with the strongest and deepest unit on the team and that is the receiving group. I think Woods, Kupp, DJax, Jefferson, Atwell, and then through in Hibgee and then Henderson out of the backfield yeah dont be surprised if we see the Rams just go bonkers from just throwing the ball a ton now. Not saying they will abandon the run completely but more times than not it might look and feel that way throughout the season.

58 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree. Have we forgotten CJ Anderson? We got him literally off the couch late in the 2018 season when Gurley missed games and wasnt right. All Anderson did was dominate down the stretch and the Rams got to the Superbowl. That was not just with Gurley not being right but no Kupp. I still havent changed my opinion of the Rams for this season. I still think they get back to the divisional round of the playoffs then we see if Stafford can be the difference. And truth be told, I know McVay was hurt knowing Akers is lost for the season but part of him is probably excited because it really gives him a reason to dial up tons and tons of passing plays for Stafford and the receivers. We know Stafford is capable of having a 5000yd passing season. At least with Akers people would look at McVay and think "why arent you running more with him because he is a stud?". In the same way people did with Gurley when he was right. Now McVay can feel like we dont have the young stud Akers and Henderson is really good. I think better than just really good but nobody looks at him in the same was as Akers. So now McVay can feel free to just really let Stafford throw it all over the place with the strongest and deepest unit on the team and that is the receiving group. I think Woods, Kupp, DJax, Jefferson, Atwell, and then through in Hibgee and then Henderson out of the backfield yeah dont be surprised if we see the Rams just go bonkers from just throwing the ball a ton now. Not saying they will abandon the run completely but more times than not it might look and feel that way throughout the season.

We had a better O-line then. Also, a deeper one. 

But as @StLunatic88said, if there's any position you can grab a guy off the street and see immediate production, it's the RB position. I do think we will go more pass heavy this year then last.

• Like 2