The Latest on Aaron Rodgers

soulman

Aaron Rodgers continues to make decisions that benefit the Chicago Bears

by Rob Schwarz Jr 3 minutes ago Follow @ChiRuxinBGO

https://beargoggleson.com/2021/07/20/aaron-rodgers-contract-extension-chicago-bears/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

The Chicago Bears have been owned by Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers throughout his career. In 25 games versus the Bears, Rodgers has a 20-5 record. He has thrown 55 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions for a QB rating of 107.2. He also has a completion percentage of 66.67% throughout his career while playing the Chicago Bears.

Last offseason, rumors started circulating that Aaron Rodgers was unhappy with the way the Packers have been handling the team — both in free agency and the NFL Draft. Head coach Matt LaFleur dismissed the rumors and things worked out well as the Packers went 13-3 on the year and won the NFC North. Unfortunately for the Packers, they once again lost in the playoffs and did not make the Super Bowl.

Well, those rumors have continued this offseason, maybe to an even greater extent. Although many Green Bay Packers fans do not want to believe anything Adam Schefter has reported on the matter. Well, today, Schefter reported that Aaron Rodgers turned down a two-year extension that would have kept him in Green Bay for five more seasons and made him the highest-paid player in the NFL. At the same time, comment after comment from Packers fans claim Schefter to be fake news.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

This off-season, the Packers offered Aaron Rodgers a two-year contract extension that would have tied him to Green Bay for five more seasons and made him the highest-paid QB and player in football. Rodgers declined the offer, proof it’s not about the money.

7:03 AM · Jul 20, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

SMASH31

@thewick23

Replying to

@AdamSchefter

If a "report" is coming from Schefter about Rodgers we now know it's fake news. It never happened. Bc everything Schefter had reported this off-season about this had been false. To top it off you can see the bitterness and anger when he talked to Collinsworth. Fake news!

7:23 AM · Jul 20, 2021·Twitter for Android

Here is the thing. Adam Schefter is one of, if not the most connected journalists in the NFL. He has been breaking news stories within the NFL for years and he is not going to risk his reputation just to make Packers fans angry. He does not need the “clicks” as many Packers fans claim either.

An unhappy Aaron Rodgers is great news for the Chicago Bears

I completely understand the want to see the Chicago Bears beat Aaron Rodgers after losing to him time and time again. Nothing would make me happier if I am being honest. That said, Chicago Bears fans should also be happy to see the Bears consistently atop the NFC North. With the hope that Justin Fields is going to become the franchise quarterback the organization has never had and fans deserve, the arrow for this Bears team is pointing way up.

Next: Matt Nagy is ranked by Sports Illustrated

Seeing a future Hall of Fame quarterback choose to either retire earlier, force a trade or just move onto another team two years earlier than he would be had he signed the extension is beneficial for the Chicago Bears. It is time for our beloved Chicago Bears to become the face of the NFC North and consistently win. Saying goodbye to Aaron Rogers just helps in that endeavor. Although I think Rodgers plays for Green Bay in 2021, his future with the Packers looks bleak at best. Bring on the Jordan Love era.

• Like 2

If this is true it's very interesting.  The Packers said to have offered what Rodgers had asked for earlier this year and was denied which may have at least in part set the stage for this standoff.  The other reason of course is Gutekunst handling of FA and The Draft which Rodgers has criticized.  The question is when did they offer the extension?  If they refused earlier it had to me more recently in an effort to break the deadlock.

If he's actually turned this down that pretty much eliminates the idea that he would stay out of camp allowing Love and Bortles to show their stuff then agree to return late in August provided he got an extension with more guaranteed money.  Packer fans are calling it "Fake News" which it could be but if not then what's left is a "trade me or I'll sit out all year kinda deal".  The Packers claim they won't trade him so what now?

Packers fans are calling it fake news because Rodgers is not speaking out and in all likelihood he caves at some point and comes back.

Probably he will sit some of camp.

But it doesn't make the story or rumors untrue.  That's not fake news.  Just an uncertain outcome.  

I think what is left out of above is Rodgers wasn't offered the 2 years initially.   They initially offered nothing which is what infuriated him.   They came back with the two year offer later.

So this was scene.  Rodgers and/or Agent come into Gute office and give this big speech how last season changed everything and they want a firm commitment to Rodgers so he can retire in GB.

Gute said, Nah, pass, but thanks for asking.  We like status quo.  He has a contract and that works for us.

That is what has set stage for this drama we are seeing play out now.  

He left and said see ya never.   They panicked and decided to offer the two years.

That is all we know.   My guess is 3 years guaranteed brings him back now.   Doing nothing will get a disgruntled Rodgers back late in camp.

This has all played out perfectly from Bears fan perspective and what I said was best case scenario from start.   A hold out and no trade.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think what is left out of above is Rodgers wasn't offered the 2 years initially.   They initially offered nothing which is what infuriated him.   They came back with the two year offer later.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

The way it sets up is that the plan was to have Rodgers this season for one more run at a Super Bowl then look to trade him in 2022 when his cap hits nearly $40 mil replacing him with Love who by then will have had two years as Rodgers understudy.  Kind of a Favre > Rodgers redux.  The only problem is that was easier to sniff out than a spoiled onion in a trash can and of course Rodgers and his agent did which led to their request for an extension and more guaranteed $$$ for the NFL MVP.

Me thinks Gutekunst and the rest of the Packer front office underestimated Rodgers position and his leverage.  Knowing Rodgers and his ego they really shouldn't have been all that surprised.  So Rodgers says "trade me" or I'll sit out and once he fails to show up for OTAs they finally begin to take him seriously and make a "too little, too late" offer of a lucrative extension.  Rodgers sniffs it and decides he may now be able to get an even better offer by not immediately agreeing to the first offer.

Camp begins in about a week and I'll bet a buck he's still AWOL.  Whether or not GB ups their offer and he eventually shows up and takes the one that's on the table I'll still put at 50/50.  If Rodgers believes he can force a trade he'll stay out for awhile but the longer GB holds out refusing to trade him the less likely that becomes and Rodgers has to decide if it's really worth it to sit out a year.  Stay tuned sports fans "The Days of Our Lives" will return after a word from our sponsors.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Adam Schefter once again claiming that everything old is new again if only because HE chose to report it as such.

While I may agree that he's well connected he's also a major league rumor monger and very arrogant.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, dll2000 said:

That is all we know.   My guess is 3 years guaranteed brings him back now.   Doing nothing will get a disgruntled Rodgers back late in camp.

My guess is that nothing brings him back. But we'll see...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

😄

Everyone remember, though...Love is not a scrub. 

I'm not sure even GB knows what he is or isn't right now.  He wasn't even on the active roster in 2020.

As of this moment the Packers QB room is staffed by Love and Blake Bortles and if they believed that either of them were capable of sustaining their winning ways they would not be as desperate as they seem to be to make sure Rodgers returns to take them to a Super Bowl in 2022.

If I’m betting today. Rodgers will pull a Carson Palmer sit out the year and he’ll be traded the next off season. 

as for the packers. This management team has completely mismanaged his situation and it’s now spilling over into the devonte adams contract talks. The packers front office is weak and desperate. They are graveling and it’s a terrible position to be in.  The packers front office needs to call Aaron’s bluff tell him to report to training camp or there will be fines.  Also publicly state arrons on the trading block  the packers front office needs some backbone 

as for Jordan love. He sucks and is a bust. Aaron knows it and that’s why there is tension. Aaron know love ain’t sh*t and he’s pissed the packers blew the pick on a bust QB. In addition. If love was good the packers front office wouldn’t be on their knees begging Aaron to come back.  Love sucks 

as for the bears fan angle. Universe seems to be aligning in a way I could have never imagined.  Fields feels like it. Fields feels like the QB we need and we are beyond due to hit on QB on the draft.  Rodgers demise. The lions are not good the Vikings have a decent team but Kirk cousins is there QB. Please. bears could own this division for a while 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

If I’m betting today. Rodgers will pull a Carson Palmer sit out the year and he’ll be traded the next off season. 

as for the packers. This management team has completely mismanaged his situation and it’s now spilling over into the devonte adams contract talks. The packers front office is weak and desperate. They are graveling and it’s a terrible position to be in.  The packers front office needs to call Aaron’s bluff tell him to report to training camp or there will be fines.  Also publicly state arrons on the trading block  the packers front office needs some backbone 

as for Jordan love. He sucks and is a bust. Aaron knows it and that’s why there is tension. Aaron know love ain’t sh*t and he’s pissed the packers blew the pick on a bust QB. In addition. If love was good the packers front office wouldn’t be on their knees begging Aaron to come back.  Love sucks 

as for the bears fan angle. Universe seems to be aligning in a way I could have never imagined.  Fields feels like it. Fields feels like the QB we need and we are beyond due to hit on QB on the draft.  Rodgers demise. The lions are not good the Vikings have a decent team but Kirk cousins is there QB. Please. bears could own this division for a while 

Bottom line is they have no big trade AND they have no Aaron as it stands.

It is worst of all worlds for them until that changes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bottom line is they have no big trade AND they have no Aaron as it stands.

It is worst of all worlds for them until that changes. 

3 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

The only way it gets better from a Bears fan's perspective is if the Packers hire Lori as a special consultant to sort this out. Literally can't see a way to mismanage it more thoroughly than they have, but she would find a way.

Watching this NFL offseason really is a reminder that you never know the future, should always be prepared for the unexpected, and if you find yourself an NFL GM never mess up having an HOF QB. 

• Like 1