The Latest on Aaron Rodgers

soulman

51 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You make a good point about the organization's attitude, for sure, but...Rodgers still ain't there. And as you have stated many times (including right above this post here), you don't think Rodgers intends to play for Green Bay--and I totally agree. If they think they'll just wait and out and Rodgers will report, they're wrong. He'll "retire", as you say. So what will they do? They do have a team that can be competitive without uberquarterback play, they'll simply have to take the plunge. 

Veterans are scheduled to report on Tuesday so we won't have much longer to wait to know whether or not Rodgers plans to attend.

Just now, soulman said:

Veterans are scheduled to report on Tuesday so we won't have much longer to wait to know whether or not Rodgers plans to attend.

I'd be willing to bet just about anything that he doesn't. Then the fun becomes seeing if he makes a statement, posts anything on social media, retires, etc. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not so sure the Cheeseheads are even right about this all being a PR disaster for Rodgers. Now, is he going to be able to show his face in Green Bay again, after all this plays out? Probably not, but I don't think that bothers him much. And when he goes to Denver and starts winning games there, the football media will be so excited they'll be even more hesitant to throw any shade Rodgers' way for this weird standoff that's going on. 

It won't bother him because he never shows up much to begin with.  In his world Green Bay is where his job is.  California is where his home is.

The media here is pressing hard on the idea that Denver should become very aggressive in their pursuit of a trade for Rodgers and if GB still refuses they should move on.  Can't say I disagree either.  Take your best shot.  Tell GB how long your offer will remain on the table and if they won't accept it or negotiate around it then you close up shop and call it a day.

I would also not go to sleep on an interest from the Raiders.  They have a very valuable chip to toss on the pile in David Carr.  It would appear that going from Rodgers to Love this year could be a disaster but with Carr it's a whole different story.  Realistically they're the most likely alternative and to afford Rodgers they'd need to move Carr and his contract.

If GB hesitates and Rodgers announces his retirement they're faced with a reset at QB and acknowledging that they will at some point in time have to make a trade.  But by 2022 Rodgers is a year older and his value may not be as great as it is now so if Rodgers keeps his word and remains out he's gonna give Murphy and Gutekunst a lot to think about.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd be willing to bet just about anything that he doesn't. Then the fun becomes seeing if he makes a statement, posts anything on social media, retires, etc. 

I've got a whole buck bet on it with my grandson.  LOL  🤑

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

The media here is pressing hard on the idea that Denver should become very aggressive in their pursuit of a trade for Rodgers and if GB still refuses they should move on.  Can't say I disagree either.  Take your best shot.  Tell GB how long your offer will remain on the table and if they won't accept it or negotiate around it then you close up shop and call it a day.

Seeing as how the Packers are scrambling to get this whole issue as subdued, media-wise, as they can...it's hard to say if any solid and substantial offers have been made by anybody. But still, you betcha, the Broncos should be going all in (and maybe they are).

I would also not go to sleep on an interest from the Raiders.  They have a very valuable chip to toss on the pile in David Carr.  It would appear that going from Rodgers to Love this year could be a disaster but with Carr it's a whole different story.  Realistically they're the most likely alternative and to afford Rodgers they'd need to move Carr and his contract.

That's a real possibility, for sure. The thing that complicates it is that Love might end up being better than Carr. BUT...for the Packers, this is still a better scenario than the Broncos, in a bunch of ways. Swap Rodgers for Carr and some other stuff, then trade Love after the season. Or trade Carr. Whatever. 

If GB hesitates and Rodgers announces his retirement they're faced with a reset at QB and acknowledging that they will at some point in time have to make a trade.  But by 2022 Rodgers is a year older and his value may not be as great as it is now so if Rodgers keeps his word and remains out he's gonna give Murphy and Gutekunst a lot to think about.

The thing that gets me is that pretty much everybody on the planet agrees that Rodgers is sort of a ******. Did Gutekunst and Murphy not get that memo? Why they would think the odds are good that Rodgers will snap to and do the right thing (in their view) is bizarre--and seems kind of naive and irresponsible. They're also degrading their potential return for Rodgers the longer they wait. Seems rather dumb, to me. 

17 minutes ago, soulman said:

I've got a whole buck bet on it with my grandson.  LOL  🤑

Taking money from your own grandchildren. You should be ashamed of yourself! 

Edited by Heinz D.

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's a real possibility, for sure. The thing that complicates it is that Love might end up being better than Carr. BUT...for the Packers, this is still a better scenario than the Broncos, in a bunch of ways. Swap Rodgers for Carr and some other stuff, then trade Love after the season. Or trade Carr. Whatever. 

Anything is possible but right now he's not and right now is what GB has to worry about.

If Rodgers doesn't play and neither Love or Bortles can win for them and they end up dropping like a rock when with Rodgers they were a Super Bowl contender again this year THAT will be a major PR disaster they'll have to explain away especially if Rodgers just up and retires leaving them holding the bag and having gotten nothing for him at least for now.  His refusals are making them look much worse than it makes him look.  JMHO

If Rodgers doesn't play and neither Love or Bortles can win for them and they end up dropping like a rock when with Rodgers they were a Super Bowl contender again this year THAT will be a major PR disaster they'll have to explain away especially if Rodgers just up and retires leaving them holding the bag and having gotten nothing for him at least for now.  His refusals are making them look much worse than it makes him look.  JMHO

You're probably right about that. 

But, I think that team is simply too good to not remain competitive without Rodgers. Now, in the Super Bowl conversation? That would be a lot to ask of Love (or Drew Lock--Bortles is out of the question, there). So looking at it that way, Carr makes a lot more sense. It's tempting to ask, "Why not Russell Wilson?", but Wilsons' issues with the Seahawks are so similar to those Rodgers has with the Pack...

On 7/23/2021 at 8:01 PM, AZBearsFan said:

... should be taken with a huuuuuuuuuge grain of salt...

Keep I n mind that`s dairy country up there.  They call them salt licks not grains😁

On a slightly more serious note, but still very near fantasy land, has anyone considered the possibility that if Roger's really does have one foot out the door and Love really isn`t only, not ready for prime time, but never will be the Packers might be looking at blowing things up.  Looking at the upcoming (2022) free agents and looking to cull the ones that they don't expect to still be  viable when they expect to be viable again in a few years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bfan said:

Keep I n mind that`s dairy country up there.  They call them salt licks not grains😁

On a slightly more serious note, but still very near fantasy land, has anyone considered the possibility that if Roger's really does have one foot out the door and Love really isn`t only, not ready for prime time, but never will be the Packers might be looking at blowing things up.  Looking at the upcoming (2022) free agents and looking to cull the ones that they don't expect to still be  viable when they expect to be viable again in a few years.

The only way I see them truly blowing things up is if a wholesale regime change is happening...and I just don't see that. 

I agree with most of the thoughts here, except that there is any possibility that Jordan love is ready in the eyes of the pack. If he were even decent right now, Aaron Rodgers would be in lv or co. To paraphrase my favorite Bears podcast "Jordan loves gotta suck, right?"

Not saying he can't be good (although I think he's not) but theres no way they don't take the boatload of picks for Rodgers if they feel set at QB.  The Bortles signing ices it. The Packers never spend on the backups.  

I will bet a nice bottle of wine that Jordan Love doesn't make 20 starts in the NFL

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I will bet a nice bottle of wine that Jordan Love doesn't make 20 starts in the NFL

You know I wonder how patient GB will be with Love or any other QB. Going from Favr a to Rodgers has allowed them to have 30 years of top QB play (mostly). Are they going to be patient and let their fans see THEM as the ones who broke that chain? A ton of fans don't even know what is like to have a mediocre QB as a primary starter. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Taking money from your own grandchildren. You should be ashamed of yourself! 

Age 17 and he knows more about football than I do.  He does live stream broadcasts for the local indoor league team and baseball broadcasts for semi-pro and a HS team.  He's gonna major in sports management in college.  He's no rookie so I'll be happy to take his buck.  😁

59 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I agree with most of the thoughts here, except that there is any possibility that Jordan love is ready in the eyes of the pack. If he were even decent right now, Aaron Rodgers would be in lv or co. To paraphrase my favorite Bears podcast "Jordan loves gotta suck, right?"

Not saying he can't be good (although I think he's not) but theres no way they don't take the boatload of picks for Rodgers if they feel set at QB.  The Bortles signing ices it. The Packers never spend on the backups.  

All I'm thinking at this point is that quite possibly the NFCN will go from semi-boring and predictable to very interesting.  Removing Rodgers from the equation levels the playing field with all four teams having question marks at QB.