Jump to content

The Latest on Aaron Rodgers


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That same building decided Love wasn't even good enough to beat out Boyle (who?) for the #2 spot and that says alot.

Now, was that due to COVID....we'll see. But that doesn't exactly scream optimism, either.

EDIT: And lets be honest, the only reason he's taking snaps is because Arod's been absent.

He might be improving since the beginning of last season seeing how we let Boyle walk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pugger said:

All he wants, it seemed to me, is a voice in personnel discussions.  With his perspective as a player in the locker room all these years he can bring a different POV to management.  

Yup, just a chance to add his two cent, oh.....and Randall Cobb too.  😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t like Rodgers, but I don’t disagree that given his position and longevity he is not to be treated like every other player.

He should be in loop and asked his opinion on things and treated with respect and not like a grunt.  

I have to agree.  He's been the primary reason for Green Bay's dominance in the NFCN for 15 years.  I would think that would be long enough for the Packer Front Office to believe he has some thoughts on how they could help the team be more successful overall.  Conversely Rodgers has no right to act hurt or pissed if they can't always get him what he'd like to have.  It's his contracts that have created cap restrictions for many years.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulman said:

I have to agree.  He's been the primary reason for Green Bay's dominance in the NFCN for 15 years.  I would think that would be long enough for the Packer Front Office to believe he has some thoughts on how they could help the team be more successful overall.  Conversely Rodgers has no right to act hurt or pissed if they can't always get him what he'd like to have.  It's his contracts that have created cap restrictions for many years.

If you communicate with people and let them have a say and give your own reasoning, they generally don't flip out even if you all disagree.

If you just do what you want and are making unhappy decisions and say I am boss this is way it is, and you say that to key and important employees, employees with talent and options, you are asking for trouble in any line of work.

That is bad bossing.  You will find yourself competing with your best employees in due time as they leave at first opportunity.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like there's is a huge price to be paid for one more year of Aaron Rodgers......

Packers now almost $50M over salary cap in 2022 after Aaron Rodgers restructure


c0f9276804ea12792788b13f19fcb013

The Green Bay Packers are going all-in with Aaron Rodgers in 2021 because a transition is probably coming in 2022.

The salary cap all but guarantees it.

After the Packers restructured Rodgers’ deal, pushing almost $10 million of cap dollars to next year to create space for this year, the Packers are now almost $50 million over the salary cap in 2022, according to Over the Cap.

The Packers have $257 million worth of contracts committed to 52 players for the 2022 season. Over the Cap is predicting a cap of $208.2 million.

 

Rodgers’ cap number in 2022 is now $46.1 million. There’s almost no way the Packers can be compliant with the salary cap at that number, meaning a future trade or extension is necessary. The team can save over $19 million by trading Rodgers next year, even if it means taking on a dead cap hit of $26.8 million. An extension could also be used to drastically lower his cap hit in 2022.

Outside linebacker Za’Darius Smith is in a similar spot. His cap hit is $28.1 million in 2022. He’ll need an extension by next year, but his future isn’t necessarily secure in Green Bay. The team could save almost $15.8 million by moving on via release or trade, with a dead cap hit of almost $12.4 million.

Releasing outside linebacker Preston Smith and receiver Randall Cobb would clear around $20 million, probably making both moves necessary.

Keep in mind, this calculation does not include a new contract for All-Pro receiver Davante Adams, who wants to become the NFL’s highest-paid receiver. Retaining him might not be possible without major salary cap adjustments.

This past offseason, general manager Brian Gutekunst and cap specialist Russ Ball had to touch nearly every veteran contract just to get under the cap for 2021. They’ve pushed it to the limit, as Gutekunst said Thursday. The cap can always be manipulated, and the cap will go up substantially in 2023. But a lot more work on the cap situation will be necessary for the pair next year.

Moving money around in Rodgers’ deal puts the Packers in a good spot for 2021. Gutekunst now has wiggle room for the season, and it’s possible he’s not done adding veteran help for this run.

The Packers must make the most of this opportunity in 2021. Rodgers is back and the roster is talented, but neither is guaranteed past this year. A transition to Jordan Love looks likely in 2022. Good players will be released or leave. This is the Packers’ best (and maybe last) chance to go win a Super Bowl with Rodgers as the quarterback.

Gutekunst said “future pain” is coming on the cap. The squeeze will begin in 2022. The Packers are all-in for 2021.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soulman said:

The Packers have $257 million worth of contracts committed to 52 players for the 2022 season. Over the Cap is predicting a cap of $208.2 million.

Yikes.

I would never have thought a reworked Rodgers contract would conjure up all these cap issues down the road. 

Doesn't make much sense...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yikes.

I would never have thought a reworked Rodgers contract would conjure up all these cap issues down the road. 

Doesn't make much sense...

It's not just Rodgers.  We may think we have a cap issue with Mack but look at what GB has to deal with as far as Za'Darius Smith and his $28.1 mil cap hit.  Smith is a good edge rusher but he not in the same league as Mack overall.

They're kickin' the rebuild can down the road and makin' a deal with the Devil at the Crossroads for one more shot at a Super Bowl before Rodgers has to be traded.  Knowing how things work up in the Cheese Tundra a Lombardi Trophy could be used to mollify the masses while Gutekunst and Murphy figure out how to rebuild on the fly without a QB of Rodgers stature.

Gonna be interesting to watch this year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soulman said:

They're kickin' the rebuild can down the road and makin' a deal with the Devil at the Crossroads for one more shot at a Super Bowl before Rodgers has to be traded.  Knowing how things work up in the Cheese Tundra a Lombardi Trophy could be used to mollify the masses while Gutekunst and Murphy figure out how to rebuild on the fly without a QB of Rodgers stature.

I would have thought that the whole point of bringing him back would be because they wanted him to retire there. Rodgers could easily have several more seasons of good football left in him. Seems weird just to put off a trade for a year. And if they're planning on more than one season...that's a pretty big gamble on the Packers' part. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I would have thought that the whole point of bringing him back would be because they wanted him to retire there. Rodgers could easily have several more seasons of good football left in him. Seems weird just to put off a trade for a year. And if they're planning on more than one season...that's a pretty big gamble on the Packers' part. 

The Packer Front Office is betting that winning another Super Bowl with Rodgers before they trade him will mollify Packer Fans and put them back in their good graces.  Remember, they don't just want to win one.  They actually expect to win another one.  That's their motivation.

Between Rodgers and Smith the Packers are facing a $74 mil cap hit for those two alone and still have to consider whether or not they can sign Davante Adams whose using DeAndre Hopkins deal which averages $27 mil and change as a negotiating point.  That's an average annual cap hit of $25 mil in years 2022-2024.  That doesn't mean he'll get it but you can get he'll get something north of $20 mil per year from someone.

Keeping Rodgers and Smith without significant contract restructures would consume $36 of their total 2022 $208 mil cap.  I could be dead wrong again but I don't see how they'll be able to keep Rodgers at that $46 mil level.  That alone would be 22% of their cap.  So either they restructure him again and keep him 'til he fades away or they trade him and save $19 mil along with getting a load of draft booty and maybe another QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, soulman said:

Keeping Rodgers and Smith without significant contract restructures would consume $36 of their total 2022 $208 mil cap.  I could be dead wrong again but I don't see how they'll be able to keep Rodgers at that $46 mil level.  That alone would be 22% of their cap.  So either they restructure him again and keep him 'til he fades away or they trade him and save $19 mil along with getting a load of draft booty and maybe another QB.

I guess maybe Rodgers is hoping that a trade partner will somehow be able to put together his $46 mil? Because otherwise both he and Gutekunst know that a serious restructure is coming. 

Maybe it's just because I'm extra tired today, but the more I read about this "solution", the less sense it makes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I guess maybe Rodgers is hoping that a trade partner will somehow be able to put together his $46 mil? Because otherwise both he and Gutekunst know that a serious restructure is coming. 

Maybe it's just because I'm extra tired today, but the more I read about this "solution", the less sense it makes. 

If you read through the article you can see that GB would take a $26.8 mil cap hit as a result of a trade yet still save $19 mil in cap.  The only 2022 contractual obligation another team would inherit is his $26.5 mil salary.  Pretty much peanuts for someone like Rodgers and they will in all likelihood end up doing an extension through 2024 or 2025 that will lower his cap hit anyway.

One way or another GB was gonna take a dead cap hit for trading him ($26.8 mil/2022 and $7.7 mil/2023) but they also save $19 mil in 2022 cap they can use on Adams if they can keep him and to extend other including anyone they may get in a trade for Rodgers.  They're going "all in" this year hoping to win a Super Bowl and with Rodgers IMHO they have a good shot at it.

Edited by soulman
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, soulman said:

...They're going "all in" this year hoping to win a Super Bowl and with Rodgers IMHO they have a good shot at it.

That may depend on if Roger's truly hates Gutekunst or if it is mostly for show.  If Roger's is vindictive enough I could see him playing just well enough to show a possible suitor he still has it but just short of Superbowl. That would put Gutekunst behind an eight ball that just might roll him over.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Bfan said:

That may depend on if Roger's truly hates Gutekunst or if it is mostly for show.  If Roger's is vindictive enough I could see him playing just well enough to show a possible suitor he still has it but just short of Superbowl. That would put Gutekunst behind an eight ball that just might roll him over.

Nah, Aaron wants another ring just as badly as anyone up there.  He'll never be "The GOAT" while Brady keeps collecting them and he only has one.

I believe his issues with the front office were more on a business level than being ultra emotional.  It just became too frustrating to be expected to carry his team but have no input whatsoever on how it was stocked personnel wise.  He got them to trade for Cobb so to a degree it worked.

He's also assured that via the restructure that 100% of his 2021 pay is guaranteed and that he won't be returning any of his bonus money either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2021 at 12:41 AM, Heinz D. said:

Yikes.

I would never have thought a reworked Rodgers contract would conjure up all these cap issues down the road. 

Doesn't make much sense...

Yes it does.  They are going for it this year and resetting with young players next year.

They will be trading or dumping a lot of big names next offseason.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yes it does.  They are going for it this year and resetting with young players next year.

We'll have to agree to disagree there, brother. As it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. 

If you endure the agony of the Aaron Rodgers soap opera that's just went down--you don't do that with the mindset that Rodgers is somehow a one year rental...and you'll get even more for him in trade after the current season. You do it with the notion that you retain one of the greatest quarterbacks in history, and you're getting maybe a four or five year Super Bowl window out of it. 

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They will be trading or dumping a lot of big names next offseason.  

Just to be clear...I'm not disagreeing with your take on the Packers plan for the next few seasons. I'm flabbergasted (and sort of disgusted) by what seems to be their plan, itself. Well...flabbergasted and disgusted in a relative way, I suppose. If true--it's slimy and stupid and will bring about any number of self-inflicted wounds. 

As a Bears fan, I'm cool with that. 😁

I was a big Gutekunst defender though, as a drafter and a strategist...and if this all unfolds the way it seems to be going, my respect is gone and his time in Green Bay will be over very soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...