The Latest on Aaron Rodgers

soulman

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If you endure the agony of the Aaron Rodgers soap opera that's just went down--you don't do that with the mindset that Rodgers is somehow a one year rental...and you'll get even more for him in trade after the current season. You do it with the notion that you retain one of the greatest quarterbacks in history, and you're getting maybe a four or five year Super Bowl window out of it. 

But in essence that is what GB is doing.  For now all that's changed is the Packer Front Office restructured his deal so that 2021 is fully guaranteed and 2023 was voided.  There is no way under his current contract that they have a four or five year window with him when his contract ends following the 2022 season.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

If he plays in GB in 2022 he does so with a $46 mil plus cap hit so I think it's safe to say that won't happen unless they do extend his contract for another 2-3 years beyond 2022 but at what cost?  In addition he wants to have more input into personnel decisions.  They gave in somewhat on that and got him Randall Cobb like he asked.  Cobb is 31 years old and will have a $9.6 mil cap hit in 2022.

If both are on the roster in 2022 that's $55.6 mil in cap for a 39 year old QB and a 32 year old #3 slot receiver.

Rodgers and Cobb alone would chew up 26.7% of their cap and if you add in 30 year old Za'Darius Smith whose cap hit is $28.1 mil those three players alone would comprise $83.7 mil or roughly 40% of GB's cap.  There is no way they can carry those cap hits and if they do extend Rodgers he's gonna be paid better than $45 mil per year if they plan to make him the highest paid NFL QB at age 39.

It's tough to see this any other way than "all in" for one more shot at a Lombardi Trophy before they're forced to retrench.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

We'll have to agree to disagree there, brother. As it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. 

If you endure the agony of the Aaron Rodgers soap opera that's just went down--you don't do that with the mindset that Rodgers is somehow a one year rental...and you'll get even more for him in trade after the current season. You do it with the notion that you retain one of the greatest quarterbacks in history, and you're getting maybe a four or five year Super Bowl window out of it. 

Just to be clear...I'm not disagreeing with your take on the Packers plan for the next few seasons. I'm flabbergasted (and sort of disgusted) by what seems to be their plan, itself. Well...flabbergasted and disgusted in a relative way, I suppose. If true--it's slimy and stupid and will bring about any number of self-inflicted wounds. 

As a Bears fan, I'm cool with that. 😁

I was a big Gutekunst defender though, as a drafter and a strategist...and if this all unfolds the way it seems to be going, my respect is gone and his time in Green Bay will be over very soon. 

Its okay to disagree. 

It kind of sucks when you break up contending teams, but it has to be done at some point when people age out. 

They salvaged the Rodgers situation as best they could.  They get the 2021 run they always planned on when it looked like Rodgers may force the reset a year earlier than planned after an early exit last year.  That would have been bad.  

I think GB is doing a pretty good job overall.   They are simply better run than Bears and have been since 80s ended.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, soulman said:

But in essence that is what GB is doing.  

That's true. It's a mistake. 

If you're trading him anyway, you get the highest return. He shreds his ACL this year...that return ain't high. 

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It kind of sucks when you break up contending teams, but it has to be done at some point when people age out. 

I would argue that Rodgers (and many others on the Green Bay roster) haven't "aged out". 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's true. It's a mistake. 

If you're trading him anyway, you get the highest return. He shreds his ACL this year...that return ain't high. 

I would argue that Rodgers (and many others on the Green Bay roster) haven't "aged out". 

Sure, there are risks but they're risks that every team takes.  GB can't even think about competing for a championship without Rodgers and for now that takes precedence over any other concerns.  The worst case scenario for them is if it happens in camp or a preseason game.  They still have to pay him and they get no joy as far as a Lombardi Trophy. 

If Rodgers was gonna play in GB this year it was not gonna be without having his full paycheck guaranteed.  He protected himself but GB has little or no protection if he's seriously injured.  Like if Mack tears his head off and ***** down his throat. 😈  Hey, a guy can dream can't he?  🤣

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 10:21 PM, soulman said:

FWIW this is the guy GB cut who really pissed Rodgers off.  Looks like Aaron may have been right about it too.

https://theathletic.com/2748457/2021/08/03/wr-jake-kumerows-journey-from-aaron-rodgers-secret-weapon-to-the-do-it-all-riser-of-bills-camp/?source=dailyemail

Yes, the Packers were so vastly out of line for cutting a guy who is now 29 years old and has 21 career catches.

The fans should have stormed the stadium and executed Gutekunst like it was the French Revolution . . . Really?

On 8/4/2021 at 9:44 PM, soulman said:

Sure, there are risks but they're risks that every team takes.  GB can't even think about competing for a championship without Rodgers and for now that takes precedence over any other concerns.  The worst case scenario for them is if it happens in camp or a preseason game.  They still have to pay him and they get no joy as far as a Lombardi Trophy. 

If Rodgers was gonna play in GB this year it was not gonna be without having his full paycheck guaranteed.  He protected himself but GB has little or no protection if he's seriously injured.  Like if Mack tears his head off and ***** down his throat. 😈  Hey, a guy can dream can't he?  🤣

If Rodgers were to get injured this year, his contract was fully guaranteed regardless. Players can't be cut while injured. 

The only thing his restructure did was lower his cap hit this year, push money into next year and . . . I guess protect him if the Packers were going to cut him, which would never happen. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Rodgers were to get injured this year, his contract was fully guaranteed regardless. Players can't be cut while injured. 

The only thing his restructure did was lower his cap hit this year, push money into next year and . . . I guess protect him if the Packers were going to cut him, which would never happen. 

Players can't be cut while injured but they can receive injury settlements when released.  Happens all the time.  Do I think that would happen with Rodgers?  No.  But the reality is his contract was not guaranteed for 2021 so until the first game it was not guaranteed under veteran rules.  An injury in camp or the preseason would not have been covered by that vesting rule.

My point all along is that part of Rodgers play was always based on a lack of any more guaranteed money in his deal.  You do seem to agree with that right?  So Aaron got most of what he wanted.  His 2021 money is fully guaranteed.  He got Randall Cobb like he wanted.  He has an opportunity to leave after 2021 and if not the Packers will surely need to extend his current deal with even more guaranteed money because they aren't about to eat a $46 mil plus cap hit for him in 2022.

For quite awhile we've been posting about the "whole picture" with Rodgers and here you come along plucking one thing out of context from the thousands of words that have been written about it.  You all got what you wanted.  At least one more year with Aaron to make another valiant attempt at winning a Super Bowl.  So be happy 'cause after that who knows.

Edited by soulman

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, the Packers were so vastly out of line for cutting a guy who is now 29 years old and has 21 career catches.

The fans should have stormed the stadium and executed Gutekunst like it was the French Revolution . . . Really?

I'm not judging the decision to release Kummerow other than to comment on something that has already been confirmed and that is that Rodgers was upset that he was released.  Personally I couldn't care less how the Packers handle personnel matters.  They aren't my team.

If you'd been following the gist of my comments all along you could see that I've been referring to Rodgers position regarding his own input into personnel decisions Kummerow and his release being one of them.  Buffalo seems to have a use for him at the moment so despite his limited stats in Green Bay apparently Rodgers liked the guy.  Maybe he reminded him of Jordy Nelson.

Why is it you Cheesheads come over here and get your knickers all twisted over what we share among ourselves and act like we don't know WTF we're talking about when you've taken something out of context because you haven't been following the entire chain of posts and the thinking behind them.  I don't come into your forum and act like a sarcastic asshat.

But thanks for proving all I've ever said about the raw arrogance of many Packer fans.  The exit door is on your left.  You can show yourself out now.

Edited by soulman

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Players can't be cut while injured but they can receive injury settlements when released.  Happens all the time.  Do I think that would happen with Rodgers?  No.  But the reality is his contract was not guaranteed for 2021 so until the first game it was not guaranteed under veteran rules.  An injury in camp or the preseason would not have been covered by that vesting rule.

My point all along is that part of Rodgers play was always based on a lack of any more guaranteed money in his deal.  You do seem to agree with that right?  So Aaron got most of what he wanted.  His 2021 money is fully guaranteed.  He got Randall Cobb like he wanted.  He has an opportunity to leave after 2021 and if not the Packers will surely need to extend his current deal with even more guaranteed money because they aren't about to eat a $46 mil plus cap hit for him in 2022.

For quite awhile we've been posting about the "whole picture" with Rodgers and here you come along plucking one thing out of context from the thousands of words that have been written about it.  You all got what you wanted.  At least one more year with Aaron to make another valiant attempt at winning a Super Bowl.  So be happy 'cause after that who knows.

Both parties have to agree to an injury settlement? 

He also doesn't have an opportunity to leave in 2021 unless the team agrees to it. 

The owners took the teeth away from the holdout. We're seeing that with Rodgers.

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Both parties have to agree to an injury settlement? 

He also doesn't have an opportunity to leave in 2021 unless the team agrees to it. 

The owners took the teeth away from the holdout. We're seeing that with Rodgers.

Gimme examples of players who didn't agree to an injury settlement and forced the team to keep them on their roster.  I've got all day.

Oh hell.  An opportunity is just that.  It's not an assurance or a guarantee.  Look it up in your Funkin' Wagnalls.

How 'bout if I just say the Packers have agreed to allow him to pursue other options for a trade they can accept.  Is that better?

Being a hold out was not an issue.  Retiring was the chosen strategy as I recall.

I hate to argue on my day off so let's not do that OK.  They don't pay me overtime around here. 

4 hours ago, soulman said:

I'm not judging the decision to release Kummerow other than to comment on something that has already been confirmed and that is that Rodgers was upset that he was released.  Personally I couldn't care less how the Packers handle personnel matters.  They aren't my team.

If you'd been following the gist of my comments all along you could see that I've been referring to Rodgers position regarding his own input into personnel decisions Kummerow and his release being one of them.  Buffalo seems to have a use for him at the moment so despite his limited stats in Green Bay apparently Rodgers liked the guy.  Maybe he reminded him of Jordy Nelson.

Why is it you Cheesheads come over here and get your knickers all twisted over what we share among ourselves and act like we don't know WTF we're talking about when you've taken something out of context because you haven't been following the entire chain of posts and the thinking behind them.  I don't come into your forum and act like a sarcastic asshat.

But thanks for proving all I've ever said about the raw arrogance of many Packer fans.  The exit door is on your left.  You can show yourself out now.

Buffalo does not have a use for Kumerow. He had one reception for them last year. He is a quintessential #6 receiver. 

We act like you personally don't know what you're talking about because you don't know what you're talking about. 

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Gimme examples of players who didn't agree to an injury settlement and forced the team to keep them on their roster.  I've got all day.

Oh hell.  An opportunity is just that.  It's not an assurance or a guarantee.  Look it up in your Funkin' Wagnalls.

How 'bout if I just say the Packers have agreed to allow him to pursue other options for a trade they can accept.  Is that better?

Being a hold out was not an issue.  Retiring was the chosen strategy as I recall.

I hate to argue on my day off so let's not do that OK.  They don't pay me overtime around here. 

You're asking for an example of something happening that didn't happen? Teams don't advertise when they try to pay a guy to go away and the player doesn't accept it. Similarly players don't advertise when a team tried to pay them to go away. 

An opportunity is something that is available to a player without a different interested party being able to stop it. The Packers can stop it.

Rodgers was never going to retire. The financial implications for him doing that would have been prohibitive. He played his hand as aggressively as he could. He just didn't have any leverage. 

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Buffalo does not have a use for Kumerow. He had one reception for them last year. He is a quintessential #6 receiver. 

We act like you personally don't know what you're talking about because you don't know what you're talking about. 

Hoo boy.  Ya' don't know when  to quit do you?

I posted an article from The Athletic about him.  YOU many believe he's a quintessential #6 WR but Rodgers apparently thought more of his ability than you do or the Packer GM for that matter.  But that quintessential #6 WR is showing off some skills in Buffalo that have him taking reps and passes from Josh Allen with the 1st string.

https://theathletic.com/2748457/2021/08/03/wr-jake-kumerows-journey-from-aaron-rodgers-secret-weapon-to-the-do-it-all-riser-of-bills-camp/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

But once training camp began, the 29-year-old Kumerow began to make his move forward. Kumerow was getting reps with quarterback Josh Allen and the first-team offense by the fourth day of camp, an opportunity he hasn’t taken lightly.

“I think Jake’s a good football player,” offensive coordinator Brian Daboll said. “Training camp is for all of this. You want to see guys that are maybe behind the top guys. You give a guy a day of rest, or another guy gets dinged up, and see where those guys fall in and if they can do it. Because the more you can do, the more you can do in this business. He’s done a good job for us.”

The Bills have also heavily incorporated Kumerow, according to him, into all four phases of special teams. Additional functionality for a depth receiver is often critical. For an organization that backs up their press conference emphasis about special teams with roster actions, Kumerow’s prowess in that area could mean a lot on cutdown day.

My post wasn't about his past.  It was about what he's doing now to make people on the Buffalo coaching staff notice him.  If you weren't trying to be so defensive and such a know it all you might have taken the time to read the article that was the basis for my post.  I linked it in that post and linked it again in this one.  Take 5 minutes and read it Cheese Clown before you come on my street to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

And with this I'm done with you and your know it all arrogance and lousy manners. 

Edited by soulman