Do you think a 12-4/11-5/10-6/9-7 team that MISSES the playoffs feel cheated/empty?

Championshiporbust

2 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

12-4 or 11-5 record, but doesn't make the playoffs because of a division tiebreaker or not enough room as a wild card entrant...

How do you think they feel? 

Probably unlikely to happen because of 7 playoff teams per conf now.

i would say they would feel disappointed , yet optimstic

No one will miss at 12-4.

What can/does happen though is a really good team that goes 12-4 plays as a wild card like the 2010 Ravens because the Steelers were also 12-4 and had the AFC record tie-breaker that year.

Thats the only thing I can imagine a 12-4 team being too salty about and even then if you’re as good as your record you’ll be fine in that next game (the Ravens beat the division-winning Chiefs in KC 30-7 IIRC)

55 minutes ago, IheartMyV8 said:

couple examples

2008 11-5 Pats out, 8-8 Chargers in.  
2010 10-6 Giants/Bucs out, 7-9 Seahawks in.

There's something cringe about that, but the system is the system regardless.

At least in both these examples, the Chargers and Seahawks won a playoff game and weren’t one and done.

NE should be upset with themselves that year because Miami won the division with the same record (season of the wildcat game) but got shellacked in the wildcard game. Patriots very likely would have put up a better fight against the Ravens. 

2007 Browns I'm sure felt cheated.

10-6, Steelers won the division at 10-6 so they (CLE) were likely wild card. They just needed Peyton Manning's 13-2 Colts to beat Vince Young's Titans. Colts didn't need the game so they rested everyone and lost 16-10. If the Colts tried the Browns would have earned their playoff slot, but the Colts made the decision to not be competitive and instead rest heading into the playoffs. They went to the playoffs in 2002, then just again in 2020. I'm sure their potential wild card game in 2007 season would have been appreciated.

Missing the playoffs at 10-6 sucked, especially since we blew Seattle out a few weeks before and they got in at 7-9.

The system isn’t broken though - the teams know what they have to do at the start of the season and occasionally a bad team that stumbled to a division title makes it at the expense of a good team, but thems the breaks.

• Like 2

Now you need 11 wins to assure yourself of finishing over .600.

Still, I want 16 playoff teams eventually to eliminate the first round bye, which with one exception since 2013 (last year's Bucs) has proven too big of a competitive advantage.

And to make things more interesting, seeding priority should be removed from division winners. Having only the top seed in each conference guaranteed to be a division winner, in addition to for the moment being the only seed with a first-round bye, could lead to lots of interesting scenarios. Like when a division winner is so weak they are saddled with the #7 seed (or #8 seed after expansion to 16 playoff teams), and have no chance at a home playoff game. But despite this, they go on to win the Super Bowl.

Conversely, the top two seeds in a conference could come from the same division, and if they meet in the CCG, it would be among the most important games ever in the history of that division rivalry.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:40 PM, Trojan said:

2007 Browns I'm sure felt cheated.

10-6, Steelers won the division at 10-6 so they (CLE) were likely wild card. They just needed Peyton Manning's 13-2 Colts to beat Vince Young's Titans. Colts didn't need the game so they rested everyone and lost 16-10. If the Colts tried the Browns would have earned their playoff slot, but the Colts made the decision to not be competitive and instead rest heading into the playoffs. They went to the playoffs in 2002, then just again in 2020. I'm sure their potential wild card game in 2007 season would have been appreciated.

It took so long for the Browns to recover from that it was unreal.

Meanwhile, we have plenty of Browns fans born in 2004 or later that have never experienced seeing the rival Steelers finish under .500, a consequence of the Browns passing on Big Ben in 2004. And of all the possible division sweeps in today's NFL, Browns over Steelers is the only one that has not occurred in my lifetime - the last occurring two years before my birth, and the last Thanksgiving game for the team a year before my birth.

Peyton ironically chose not to help the Browns end their playoff drought sooner in 2012, which haunted them for the rest of the 2010s.

The Browns have had at least one loss to Pittsburgh in their last 29 seasons of operation, which I believe is an NFL record.

Of course once Big Ben retires it is possible the Steelers will be also-rans for years to come, something Steelers fans have not had to experience for decades.