Packers close to agreement with Aaron Rodgers for 2021 season (Aaron Rodgers thread v3)

TheKillerNacho

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

why ruin the opportunity for a SB this year, just in hopes of getting enough back so you can set up a SB caliber team in 3-4 years? GB with rodgers is a legitimate SB contender.

Winning a Super Bowl is more or less a crapshoot between the viable teams. Call me crazy but I'd rather increase my odds over the span of multiple seasons than put all my eggs in a single basket.

This of course assumes Green Bay has any confidence in Love whatsoever.

35 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I have to admit I'm a little perplexed why Green Bay is bothering to get him under center for just one more season and let him basically walk after instead of just starting the Jordan Love era early and trade him for a reasonable bounty.

Honestly it probably says a lot about their confidence in Love (or lack thereof)...

(1) There has been nothing reported that indicates GB will "let him walk". They will not let him walk after 2021 with no compensation. That just isn't going to happen.

(2) If we assume that they WOULD let him walk (despite having him under contract for an additional two seasons after 2021) that would indicate a LOT of confidence in his replacement...

3 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Ah sure, that's a good point.  I still think you have to go for it considering the makeup of the team right now, but I see where you're coming from.  

I get both sides. 

1. Trade him while he's hot, get a pretty massive haul, possibly including a solid QB (I think GB could be realistic contenders with just a pretty good QB), and call it a day. Sensible enough. 

2. Keep him, he gets hurt early, and decides to waltz off into the sunset. Oops. But whatever. 

3. Keep him, hopefully win a Superbowl, and just let the chips fall as they may.

Selfishly, I want to see option 3 just for the awkwardness of that Superbowl parade and White House visit lol. 

Edited by ronjon1990

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

(1) There has been nothing reported that indicates GB will "let him walk". They will not let him walk after 2021 with no compensation. That just isn't going to happen.

(2) If we assume that they WOULD let him walk (despite having him under contract for an additional two seasons after 2021) that would indicate a LOT of confidence in his replacement...

There you go

• Like 1

Just now, BareYourTeeth said:

There you go

Then after the season wraps up, he says "Nah, I like Green Bay. I just wanted to prove a point that they love me more than New England loved Tom. Go again?"

World's biggest troll job is complete.

Edited by ronjon1990

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Per reports, the agreement that is being negotiated would wipe out the 2023 season completely from the contract, in addition to giving Rodgers increased power on his future after the 2021 season.

Also, I disagree. If they had confidence in his replacement, they'd be fine with doing everything in their power to set him up for success. They seem to be admitting they believe it would be a significant drop-off going from Rodgers to Love - which is not a ringing endorsement for a sophomore QB. Comes off as they're trying to delay the inevitable (Rodgers leaving) while they still have a good all-around roster.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I have to admit I'm a little perplexed why Green Bay is bothering to get him under center for just one more season and let him basically walk after instead of just starting the Jordan Love era early and trade him for a reasonable bounty.

Honestly it probably says a lot about their confidence in Love (or lack thereof)...

Why restart the clock if you don’t need to. That doesn’t say anything about Love.

If the Packers had rookie Patrick Mahomes on the bench or something, you roll with your first team All Pro because no matter how talented a guy looks in practice, you just never know how he looks in game. With no preseason and a COVID year last season, resetting the clock without giving Love a true redshirt season makes even less sense.

I think this says more about the Packers giving this squad one last shot than any unreasonable speculation about their young QB.

• Like 1

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Why restart the clock if you don’t need to. That doesn’t say anything about Love.

If the Packers had rookie Patrick Mahomes on the bench or something, you roll with your first team All Pro because no matter how talented a guy looks in practice, you just never know how he looks in game. With no preseason and a COVID year last season, resetting the clock without giving Love a true redshirt season makes even less sense.

I think this says more about the Packers giving this squad one last shot than any unreasonable speculation about their young QB.

Love isn't a rookie though. He's a sophmore Quarterback. This is typically when you want to switch to a QBoTF (if they didn't start their rookie season, anyway) as it gives you still three years plus an option on their rookie deal.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

100%

This has ALWAYS been the case. GB front office has wanted to ride out super bowl shots with Rodgers while developing Love. They structured Rodgers' contract and acquired the young QB perfectly to execute the plan. But they overestimated Rodgers' maturity and loyalty to play out his contract.

Every move the team made this offseason was go be ALL-IN for 2021, so they seem willing to shave off the last year of Rodgers' contract and give him some input on trade partners next offseason in exchange for him to not be a complete and utter distraction this season while his teammates and coaching staff are all-in on a super bowl run.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Love isn't a rookie though. He's a sophmore Quarterback. This is typically when you want to switch to a QBoTF (if they didn't start their rookie season, anyway) as it gives you still three years plus an option on their rookie deal.

Rodgers sat 3 years. That worked out well.

There's no benefit to rushing a QBotF. If they work out, it doesn't much matter to the organization if they get their 2nd contract in year 4 or 5.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers sat 3 years. That worked out well.

There's no benefit to rushing a QBotF. If they work out, it doesn't much matter to the organization if they get their 2nd contract in year 4 or 5.

Different time.

With the rookie pay scale, teams are incentivized to look to compete on years 2 and 3 on a rookie's deal while you're getting a starting signal caller for a bargain, and before committing to him with a massive contract.

Rodgers was always sort of the exception to the rule anyway, even at the time.

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

The Packers have a decent shot at making the Super Bowl in 2021 with Rodgers. I think you roll that dice regardless. I get the other side of it too. 

Agreed. Trading Rodgers would net the Packers no value towards this season anyway.

And trading him prior to getting a reasonable look at Love in a non-COVID offseason would’ve been a HUGE gamble and an unreasonable decision.

They’ve handled this about as well as they could have… outside of having the decency to let Rodgers know they planned on drafting Love in the first place. Sparking some of these hurt feelings.

Not relevant to this current scenario, but in retrospect (and at the time), it probably would’ve been smarter for them to give him a rookie WR option like Tee Higgins at pick #30 then trade a future 2nd and their 2020 2nd to add Jordan Love at the end of the 1st round… in a sort of Lamar Jackson type of scenario.

That way they placate their QB by giving him another weapon, while simultaneously building towards the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Every move the team made this offseason was go be ALL-IN for 2021, so they seem willing to shave off the last year of Rodgers' contract and give him some input on trade partners next offseason in exchange for him to not be a complete and utter distraction this season while his teammates and coaching staff are all-in on a super bowl run.

I do agree that this is likely the reasoning. I don't particularly agree with the decision, however.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Different time.

With the rookie pay scale, teams are incentivized to look to compete on years 2 and 3 on a rookie's deal while you're getting a starting signal caller for a bargain, and before committing to him with a massive contract.

Rodgers was always sort of the exception to the rule anyway, even at the time.

You are trying to guess at other peoples' motivations (and saying definitively that YOUR way is what they MUST also want). The fact is that the current GB Front Office was around and saw how Favre/Rodgers transition was handled and how successful it was for the franchise. We must recognize that that transition certainly serves as somewhat of a model for these folks that lived it once already.

That, combined with their actions, leads us to suspect that their plan was as I stated: to let Jordan Love sit and learn for at a minimum of 2 years. Possibly more.

It's ok if you think that approach is wrong based on your own experience, but we can pretty confidently put forward that that is/was GB's plan all along. And that plan was spoiled with Rodgers' antics this offseason, so some minor concessions need to be made.