Packers close to agreement with Aaron Rodgers for 2021 season (Aaron Rodgers thread v3)

TheKillerNacho

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You are trying to guess at other peoples' motivations (and saying definitively that YOUR way is what they MUST also want). The fact is that the current GB Front Office was around and saw how Favre/Rodgers transition was handled and how successful it was for the franchise. We must recognize that that transition certainly serves as somewhat of a model for these folks that lived it once already.

That, combined with their actions, leads us to suspect that their plan was as I stated: to let Jordan Love sit and learn for at a minimum of 2 years. Possibly more.

It's ok if you think that approach is wrong based on your own experience, but we can pretty confidently put forward that that is/was GB's plan all along. And that plan was spoiled with Rodgers' antics this offseason, so some minor concessions need to be made.

That is a lot of what we discuss here. We're all just speculating here without complete knowledge of the situation.

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

They’ve handled this about as well as they could have… outside of having the decency to let Rodgers know they planned on drafting Love in the first place. Sparking some of these hurt feelings.

I'm going to die on this hill.

Look at how Aaron Rodgers acts. Now consider if you think it would have been a good idea to tell him we were very very seriously thinking about drafting Love. Aaron Rodgers motivation is not the same as the Packers in that case. He has EVERY reason to leak that info and spoil their plans. It benefits him personally NOT to have Love on his team.

There's a reason no clubs would ever share draft plans with a rostered player. Teams spend thousand of person-hours and millions of dollars to make a first round draft decision. They would be monumentally stupid to leak that information to anyone - much less someone with significant motivation to PREVENT that from happening.

Telling Aaron Rodgers they wanted to draft Love would have been an enormous risk that any rational businessperson would NEVER take.

If GB had told Rodgers they wanted Love, Schefter would have tweeted "Source indicates Green Bay targeting first round QB" minutes later. Teams would adjust. Packers could have easily missed out on their target.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Then after the season wraps up, he says "Nah, I like Green Bay. I just wanted to prove a point that they love me more than New England loved Tom. Go again?"

World's biggest troll job is complete.

Nah, it'll be another off-season of Rodgers Mania. Which team will Aaron Rodgers sign for? Networks will be camped out in front of team offices as he tours the country to make his visits .........

..........Then he'll decide to stay with Green Bay 🙂.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Love isn't a rookie though. He's a sophmore Quarterback. This is typically when you want to switch to a QBoTF (if they didn't start their rookie season, anyway) as it gives you still three years plus an option on their rookie deal.

He’s a sophomore QB that went through a COVID offseason. He was someone with the tools that they wanted to develop. Hence Patrick Mahomes.

Had Andy Reid had rookie Mahomes and he went through a similar tumultuous NFL offseason and not to mention was backing up a legend (and not Alex Smith), he might not have been as inclined to have Mahomes take over after 1 season. IFFF he hadn’t as much opportunity to get as strong a look/feel for Mahomes ability, Mahomes might’ve been forced to sit an additional period of time during a COVID inspired time period. Especially if Reid knew he had another 1-2 years of a legendary all pro QB option at his disposal. I’m not saying Love is Mahomes, but I’m simply using an example of a “raw QB with tools” from recent memory that needed time. Lamar was another raw QB that needed time. When he had less time than expected, he was panned, when given the necessary time he won an MVP. Love has had less time than expected to develop because of Covid-19 and Rodgers chasing an MVP season. So it makes sense for GB management to continue his development. Rodgers himself sat behind Favre for 3 years. 

So again, you’re making an assumption about Love’s ability based off of a) minimal information and b) a team deciding to stick with the most logical route towards winning football games, a legendary veteran QB that’s still a top 3 option at his position. Even if they knew they had Justin Herbert or Joe Burrow waiting in the wings, keeping Rodgers would be the safer route to take of the goal was to win a SB.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm going to die on this hill.

Look at how Aaron Rodgers acts. Now consider if you think it would have been a good idea to tell him we were very very seriously thinking about drafting Love. Aaron Rodgers motivation is not the same as the Packers in that case. He has EVERY reason to leak that info and spoil their plans. It benefits him personally NOT to have Love on his team.

There's a reason no clubs would ever share draft plans with a rostered player. Teams spend thousand of person-hours and millions of dollars to make a first round draft decision. They would be monumentally stupid to leak that information to anyone - much less someone with significant motivation to PREVENT that from happening.

Telling Aaron Rodgers they wanted to draft Love would have been an enormous risk that any rational businessperson would NEVER take.

If GB had told Rodgers they wanted Love, Schefter would have tweeted "Source indicates Green Bay targeting first round QB" minutes later. Teams would adjust. Packers could have easily missed out on their target.

Oh. I didn’t mean weeks ahead of time. I meant, prior to making the call to Love, make the call to Rodgers.

But again, get Rodgers his WR first to placate him. Not only did they draft Love, but they moved up for him.

Granted, it’s very likely/possibly someone else takes Love and foils such a plan, so I can’t truly fault them too much. But getting him Higgins and then trading up to pick #32 for Love, had it worked, would’ve been the most ideal situation.

That way whether or not you can get Rodgers on the line just moments after making your trade for pick #32 (for Love), you can tell Rodgers that your top pick was getting him help. At least providing some sort of concession for his bruised ego.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Oh. I didn’t mean weeks ahead of time. I meant, prior to making the call to Love, make the call to Rodgers.

But again, get Rodgers his WR first to placate him. Not only did they draft Love, but they moved up for him.

Granted, it’s very likely/possibly someone else takes Love and foils such a plan, so I can’t truly fault them too much. But getting him Higgins and then trading up to pick #32 for Love, had it worked, would’ve been the most ideal situation.

That way whether or not you can get Rodgers on the line just moments after making your trade for pick #32 (for Love), you can tell Rodgers that your top pick was getting him help. At least providing some sort of concession for his bruised ego.

Couple things:

I agree it would have been ideal if they had called him in the minutes prior. HOWEVER, those guys were clearly swamped and busy making the trade-up deal. There's 15 minutes on the clock, it's late in the first round and impossible to predict/know Love would (1) be there and (2) be their highest rated player. I can't blame these guys for not thinking "gosh we better call Aaron so he doesn't make a scene 2 years later" in the fifteen minutes they had to make it even happen. So, using hindsight, yeah - it would have been "nice" to offer that extension. But did they literally have the time/option to?

Also, GB did add offensive weapons for Rodgers with the next 2 picks of the draft, and added a former #1 WR in free agency last year. They signed the best RB and OT that would have been on the market THIS offseason as well (they just already happened to be on the team). Rodgers has a really, really good offensive supporting cast from his HC to OL to backfield, to potentially the best WR in the league. GB had the #1 offense and our #2 WR balled out in the NFCCG. Tee Higgins would not have moved the needle AT ALL for 2020 (or any other WR available there). And likely wouldn't have for 2021 either. Aaron Rodgers notoriously ignores rookie WRs regardless. AND LaFleur's offense requires WR2 to be an excellent blocker. No rookie was going to beat out either MVS or Lazard for snaps on this team. Aaron has plenty of offensive help, wayyyyyy more than Brady ever did in New England. AND if he wanted more weapons in free agency he had EVERY opportunity to restructure his contract, work with the team, and get more help this year!

But he didn't. His teammates did. Like 10 of them. But he didn't.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers literally got vegas to shut down betting lol

you just KNOW he's loving all of this

what an arse lol

I literally put a size able bet on the GB ML vs NO early this afternoon. They were +3 on points +150 Ml , I wonder what the line will be when it goes back on the board.

Edited by Rainmaker90

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I literally put a size able bet on the GB ML vs NO early this afternoon. They were +3 on points +150 Ml , I wonder what the line will be when it goes back on the board.

Shailene Woodley's mom probably gonna clear $200k in week 1 off vegas now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Also, I disagree. If they had confidence in his replacement, they'd be fine with doing everything in their power to set him up for success. They seem to be admitting they believe it would be a significant drop-off going from Rodgers to Love - which is not a ringing endorsement for a sophomore QB. Comes off as they're trying to delay the inevitable (Rodgers leaving) while they still have a good all-around roster.

Agreed. They are bending over backwards to appease him because they know Love isnt ready. If he was ready, then they do not need to make any sort of concessions or give up future negotiating power with rodgers  

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Per reports, the agreement that is being negotiated would wipe out the 2023 season completely from the contract, in addition to giving Rodgers increased power on his future after the 2021 season.

Also, I disagree. If they had confidence in his replacement, they'd be fine with doing everything in their power to set him up for success. They seem to be admitting they believe it would be a significant drop-off going from Rodgers to Love - which is not a ringing endorsement for a sophomore QB. Comes off as they're trying to delay the inevitable (Rodgers leaving) while they still have a good all-around roster.

Idk is love will be any good but it seems like some people are trying to wish his suckiness into existence. The other dude just won mvp and yeah he's a pain, but the other dude is a second year player who didn't have a normal rookie off season. 

I don't think there's enough to read into Love with all this. Again, the other guy just won mvp man... Heaven forbid he's the better option. 

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers literally got vegas to shut down betting lol

you just KNOW he's loving all of this

what an arse lol

How the hell did that even happen. I'd like to know what spooked them.