Packers close to agreement with Aaron Rodgers for 2021 season (Aaron Rodgers thread v3)

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

yeah, I can see us granting him veto power over a trade to select teams or something.

Does anyone give real deal assets for a dude like him without knowing somehow he wants to be there? That's what I've been saying. No, probably not, so does it even mean anything? I feel like it doesn't

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Per reports, the agreement that is being negotiated would wipe out the 2023 season completely from the contract, in addition to giving Rodgers increased power on his future after the 2021 season.

Also, I disagree. If they had confidence in his replacement, they'd be fine with doing everything in their power to set him up for success. They seem to be admitting they believe it would be a significant drop-off going from Rodgers to Love - which is not a ringing endorsement for a sophomore QB. Comes off as they're trying to delay the inevitable (Rodgers leaving) while they still have a good all-around roster.

So...the Packers get what they wanted (one last run with Rodgers)?

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I have to admit I'm a little perplexed why Green Bay is bothering to get him under center for just one more season and let him basically walk after instead of just starting the Jordan Love era early and trade him for a reasonable bounty.

Honestly it probably says a lot about their confidence in Love (or lack thereof)...

Why does his value dip unless he gets hurt or just nose dives. Sadly he seems like the kind of man who would want to give GB the middle finger on the way out with another strong season. 

Honestly they probably both view this as their best chance for one this season, is that crazy? 

I have to admit I'm a little perplexed why Green Bay is bothering to get him under center for just one more season and let him basically walk after instead of just starting the Jordan Love era early and trade him for a reasonable bounty.

Honestly it probably says a lot about their confidence in Love (or lack thereof)...

we arent done yet

We have one more nfc championship to get to!

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Couple things:

I agree it would have been ideal if they had called him in the minutes prior. HOWEVER, those guys were clearly swamped and busy making the trade-up deal. There's 15 minutes on the clock, it's late in the first round and impossible to predict/know Love would (1) be there and (2) be their highest rated player. I can't blame these guys for not thinking "gosh we better call Aaron so he doesn't make a scene 2 years later" in the fifteen minutes they had to make it even happen. So, using hindsight, yeah - it would have been "nice" to offer that extension. But did they literally have the time/option to?

Also, GB did add offensive weapons for Rodgers with the next 2 picks of the draft, and added a former #1 WR in free agency last year. They signed the best RB and OT that would have been on the market THIS offseason as well (they just already happened to be on the team). Rodgers has a really, really good offensive supporting cast from his HC to OL to backfield, to potentially the best WR in the league. GB had the #1 offense and our #2 WR balled out in the NFCCG. Tee Higgins would not have moved the needle AT ALL for 2020 (or any other WR available there). And likely wouldn't have for 2021 either. Aaron Rodgers notoriously ignores rookie WRs regardless. AND LaFleur's offense requires WR2 to be an excellent blocker. No rookie was going to beat out either MVS or Lazard for snaps on this team. Aaron has plenty of offensive help, wayyyyyy more than Brady ever did in New England. AND if he wanted more weapons in free agency he had EVERY opportunity to restructure his contract, work with the team, and get more help this year!

But he didn't. His teammates did. Like 10 of them. But he didn't.

Oh wow, you must think GBs front office is the biggest group of morons ever assembnled to not think of Aaron Rodgers whilts about to draft a a first round QB. It doesn't matter if they only had 3 minutes, ROdgers should have come to mind, but 15 minutes is a really long time in actuality. Like a really long time. 

Double wow, wow wee in fact. Besides the fact that youre still hanging on Funchess being a former #1 (which im sure @ET80loves along with a few others) you simply dont know most of that. Davante Adams had 66 targets as a rookie playing along side essentially in their primes Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson. That would make him a very, very ovious #3. I guess he doesnt ignore rookies.  Im glad youre happy with MVS, im very happy GB didnt upgrade from him as i would imagine other teams are as well.  Tee Higgins very possibly could have moved the needle, he certainly has a higher upside than any WR GB has not named Adams and possibly is already better than them too. But I guess he doesnt hold up to the rigorous background check you did on his blocking. Not even going to address the Brady/Weapons thing. SO extremely ignorant its not even worth it.

8 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Oh wow, you must think GBs front office is the biggest group of morons ever assembnled to not think of Aaron Rodgers whilts about to draft a a first round QB. It doesn't matter if they only had 3 minutes, ROdgers should have come to mind, but 15 minutes is a really long time in actuality. Like a really long time. 

Double wow, wow wee in fact. Besides the fact that youre still hanging on Funchess being a former #1 (which im sure @ET80loves along with a few others) you simply dont know most of that. Davante Adams had 66 targets as a rookie playing along side essentially in their primes Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson. That would make him a very, very ovious #3. I guess he doesnt ignore rookies.  Im glad youre happy with MVS, im very happy GB didnt upgrade from him as i would imagine other teams are as well.  Tee Higgins very possibly could have moved the needle, he certainly has a higher upside than any WR GB has not named Adams and possibly is already better than them too. But I guess he doesnt hold up to the rigorous background check you did on his blocking. Not even going to address the Brady/Weapons thing. SO extremely ignorant its not even worth it.

Why are non GB fans obsessed with tee Higgins though? 

Like do you want us to win? Pretty sure you didn't. 

Edited by Norm

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

How the hell did that even happen. I'd like to know what spooked them. 

IIRC Vegas odds were that Rodgers was not returning to GB. I imagine many wanted a part of that action today ?? 

PS. I know litterally nothing about sports betting and Vegas

The answer is in the off-season moves.

All off season, we have been kicking cap into future years.  Restructures, void years , everything we can to do to get the team back for one more shot. We are all-in with the bill to pay in 2022. Not sure we have ever used void years before but virtually every contract this summer had them in. Normally Packers are ultra-careful, this year future planning went out the window, 2021 or bust.

There's no going back. Trading Rodgers would basically screw every move we have made all off-season. You don't sacrifice the future for the current season when you have a raw QB under centre. It wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

This makes me think the front office were blind sided by the whole thing or very complacent. You just don't do what we did all off-season if you think there is a realistic chance that Rodgers isn't going to be your QB. 

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...the Packers get what they wanted (one last run with Rodgers)?

Thats a way to look at this. But do you really think this is what GB wanted? Like project out, hopefully everyone realizes that Rodgers statistical production isnt realistic to expect. But say he plays well and produces 80-85ish% of what he did in 2020. You think GBs front office is happy to get rid of him for an absolute unknown? I have a hard time believing it. Add on that theyre (possibly) trading a QB a year away from 40, you would agree that teams are then reducing their offer by just a little? 

This is great news for 2021, but i dont see an upside going forward. He either has a disappointing season and they dont accomplish their goals or another elite one theyre possibly going from  him to a 3rd year QB with no game experience.