Packers close to agreement with Aaron Rodgers for 2021 season (Aaron Rodgers thread v3)

TheKillerNacho

10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

The ultimate goal of every team is to win SBs, so that’s the ultimate point and ultimately the only point that’s most worth banking on IMO.

Rodgers currently gives them the best chance at doing so, Love is an unknown- probably even so in a large enough part to GB considering COVID-19’s impact on development for rookies in general.

You stated that not trading Rodgers and rolling with Love is somehow an admission of Love’s inadequacy in the post I quoted. I am simply countering that it’s not. Because even if Love is impressing behind the scenes, you don’t trade Rodgers away after he just won the MVP award. Can you imagine the optics if GB trades away Rodgers and he wins a ring the following season?

Regardless of how good Love looks, he would be compared to what could have been with Rodgers in 2021. So again, regardless of how Love looks, it makes the most sense optically, statistically (odds), and developmentally (Love learning behind the MVP) to go with Rodgers this season vs trading him.

If Rodgers manages to whine his way into staying for 2-3 more years while largely doing nothing but put up regular season stats and take up a huge amount of cap space, and Love goes on to be a very good quarterback for the next 15 years somewhere else, what would the optics be in that scenario?

Personally, I think the odds of that happening are a lot better than Rodgers winning another Super Bowl before he retires.

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/27/what-did-aaron-rodgers-really-get-from-the-packers/

Our long regional nightmare is over. Aaron Rodgers is back. And at a time when some are twisting themselves in knots to characterize this as some sort of a major win for Rodgers, it’s not. It’s definitely not.

Make no mistake about it. Rodgers caved. Rodgers folded. Rodgers surrendered.

Once the restructured deal between the Packers and Rodgers becomes official, the Packers get their franchise quarterback. Rodgers gets (checks notes) the 2023 season of his current deal removed

That’s it. That’s all he’s getting that he wasn’t already entitled to receive. Sure, they’ll convert a large chunk of his 2021 salary of $14.6 million into a guaranteed payment. That’s something the Packers automatically could have done in March, and which they would have done if he wasn’t making noise behind the scenes about wanting out. Besides, the guarantee means nothing. It’s not like they were going to cut him; he was getting that $14.6 million this year simply by showing up.

@N4L@TheKillerNacho @BareYourTeeth

LIS before, GB is not "letting him walk"

8 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, so much for the Packers holding all the power, although this seems like a mutual agreement. In the end though, feels like a win for the Rodgers camp to me, he told them he wants to leave and they're going to accommodate him.

i'm sure aaron convinced himself of the same thing 😂

52 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i'm sure aaron convinced himself of the same thing 😂

Seems the only ones who doesn't want to acknowledge it as a win are the Packer fans themselves. While compromise is a good thing, certain fans HAVE to have a win or else they're disgruntled.

3 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Seems the only ones who doesn't want to acknowledge it as a win are the Packer fans themselves. While compromise is a good thing, certain fans HAVE to have a win or else they're disgruntled.

a win? nothing about this is a win

Rodgers manufactured an ENTIRE offseason of drama for...nothing

GB missed out on adding a piece or two to this squad because he refused to restructure in Feb/March when approached by the team. Nearly a dozen of his teammates restructured for this season.

everyone lost in all of this. because of aaron's ego. aaron lost. green bay lost. the fans lost. schefter lost. some fringe media guys won clicks, I guess. other nfc north fans got to bask in some drama for awhile and be entertained. but ultimately the only result was shaving off an already dead 2023 year on his contract anyway. that, and a lot of nonsense.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

a win? nothing about this is a win

Rodgers manufactured an ENTIRE offseason of drama for...nothing

GB missed out on adding a piece or two to this squad because he refused to restructure in Feb/March when approached by the team. Nearly a dozen of his teammates restructured for this season.

everyone lost in all of this. because of aaron's ego. aaron lost. green bay lost. the fans lost. schefter lost. some fringe media guys won clicks, I guess. other nfc north fans got to bask in some drama for awhile and be entertained. but ultimately the only result was shaving off an already dead 2023 year on his contract anyway. that, and a lot of nonsense.

You just proved my point about you Packer fans !  

As for nothing about it being a win ? Well, Packers now get AR12 back under center for another season...that's not a win ?

They get Another year of Love to develop.....that's not a win ??

AR12 gets to select team(s) he'll get to play for next season...seems like he gets a win there !!

You're just looking at it in a SELFISH way, there's a lot of positives in this scenario so it isn't just Aaron's ego here, at least that's what it appears from the outside looking in.

7 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

You just proved my point about you Packer fans !  

As for nothing about it being a win ? Well, Packers now get AR12 back under center for another season...that's not a win ?

They get Another year of Love to develop.....that's not a win ??

AR12 gets to select team(s) he'll get to play for next season...seems like he gets a win there !!

You're just looking at it in a SELFISH way, there's a lot of positives in this scenario so it isn't just Aaron's ego here, at least that's what it appears from the outside looking in.

That was all the baseline heading into the season. It's not a win when something worse happened than "nothing" lol

I mean, in some sense, waking up in the morning is a "win" if that's what you mean? Life itself is a "win"?

I'm not sure this is limited to "us Packer fans", however. I don't think philosophy is divided cleanly along NFL team fanbase lines.