Packers close to agreement with Aaron Rodgers for 2021 season (Aaron Rodgers thread v3)

TheKillerNacho

5 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

The Patriots hadn’t won the Super Bowl since 2004 when they drafted Garoppolo in the 2nd round in 2014. They won the Super Bowl in the 2014-2015 season. 

EDIT: They also lost the AFC championship game 2 years in a row prior to that. And the Super Bowl the year before that.

lol, you stole my point a couple minutes before me while I was typing and looking at the season results

On 7/21/2021 at 4:17 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Didnt we know it wasnt about money though?

This is true.  That does mean, as I'm sure some will undoubtedly interpret it anyway, that if he were to end up on another team that he wouldn't also want the money because he feels/felt he deserved it.  It really only means that when it comes to the Packers (or so he claims), there are things more important than money... or that money isn't going to fix the issue for him.

22 hours ago, Ty21 said:

At least you’re stuck with the name of the best packers qb ever. There is a bears forum poster named after Brian Griese lmao 

Could be worse.  Could have named himself after Brock Huard or Cade McNown.

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Probably been done to death, but do we know why exactly he wants out of GB? Seemed like this is following a season where they all hooked it up pretty good

It keeps coming back to Rodger's fragile and very needy ego.  I think rather than a new contract or trading Jordan, they should simply build an Aaron Rodgers statue at Lambeau to satisfy him.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Prior to Love being drafted, Rodgers was not playing at an elite level.  2020 he returned to that.

Respectfully, 26 TD and 2 INT in a brand new system en route to an NFC Title game appearance not being considered elite shows how spoiled with quarterback play you guys have been for 30 years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Are we really comparing a guy drafted in the late second round in Jimmy G to a guy the Packers traded up to get in the first round? That’s absolutely laughable. That’s like saying Kyle Trask is a threat to TB12.

They traded up 4 spots. It’s not like there were no good players available when Jimmy G was picked. Jarvis Landry was picked next. Brady kept playing at an elite level, and they had a good backup for a few years. Then they traded him for another 2nd round pick. We’ll see if Love is any good, but if so, they could have flipped him for a 1st round pick and kept Aaron. It’s not like backup QB has zero value in the meantime. We saw what happened when they had to start a 5th rounder in 2017.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 9:03 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Straight swap Rodgers for Kirk Cousins too, obviously.

That kinda defeats the purpose of drafting Love, they'd be better off trading him for a ransom/players. Hell, Danielle Hunter, a 1st and a 3rd and a future 2 would be a damn good trade for both.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

They traded up 4 spots. It’s not like there were no good players available when Jimmy G was picked. Jarvis Landry was picked next. Brady kept playing at an elite level, and they had a good backup for a few years. Then they traded him for another 2nd round pick. We’ll see if Love is any good, but if so, they could have flipped him for a 1st round pick and kept Aaron. It’s not like backup QB has zero value in the meantime. We saw what happened when they had to start a 5th rounder in 2017.

He was literally the 62nd overall pick. Comparing them is hilarious. People do draft second rounders for depth and insurance as well. The Packers even did that with Brohm. Actively comparing a guy drafted that low with a first round trade up is crazy.

2 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

This is true.  That does mean, as I'm sure some will undoubtedly interpret it anyway, that if he were to end up on another team that he wouldn't also want the money because he feels/felt he deserved it.  It really only means that when it comes to the Packers (or so he claims), there are things more important than money... or that money isn't going to fix the issue for him.

I don't feel like he will "also want the money" from a different team.  He will do anything and everything he can to show up GB, including taking less to get weaponz.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Respectfully, 26 TD and 2 INT in a brand new system en route to an NFC Title game appearance not being considered elite shows how spoiled with quarterback play you guys have been for 30 years.

True.

But those of us who have watched him his whole career knew he could be better than what he was.

And if I'm being fair, he can still be better in this system than he was last year.  He is that talented and this is such an easy system for him to run.

Like, that's why I want him back.  But I want him committed to the organization.  Because he could dominate the league for the next 3-5 years in this system with what is around him.  

And that is the issue with Rodgers.  He's got the GOAT skills, but hasn't played at that level for much over the last 4 years or so.  And when you are paying the guy top dollar, you kind of expect top performance.  

26 TD, 2 INT in a vacuum is great.  But man, he left a lot of plays on the field.  He wasn't using running backs much in the passing game, he wasn't using the middle of the field much, his deep ball left a lot to be desired, and his on field mannerisms were Jay Cutler-esque.  When you pay a guy this much, you expect more.

Which is what we got last year.  Much more.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He was literally the 62nd overall pick. Comparing them is hilarious. People do draft second rounders for depth and insurance as well. The Packers even did that with Brohm. Actively comparing a guy drafted that low with a first round trade up is crazy.

Fair enough. Maybe it wasn’t the best comparison. I’m not sure if I would have made the pick or not, but I can’t totally fault them for it. He was 36 at the time, and few QB’s have played well far beyond that. Brady is an anomaly.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

so you are saying Ryan Tannehill is elite?  Kirk Cousins is elite?

If you want to hold onto the TD to INT ratio as being the elite element to Rodgers game, that is about it.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

True.

But those of us who have watched him his whole career knew he could be better than what he was.

And if I'm being fair, he can still be better in this system than he was last year.  He is that talented and this is such an easy system for him to run.

Like, that's why I want him back.  But I want him committed to the organization.  Because he could dominate the league for the next 3-5 years in this system with what is around him.  

And that is the issue with Rodgers.  He's got the GOAT skills, but hasn't played at that level for much over the last 4 years or so.  And when you are paying the guy top dollar, you kind of expect top performance.  

26 TD, 2 INT in a vacuum is great.  But man, he left a lot of plays on the field.  He wasn't using running backs much in the passing game, he wasn't using the middle of the field much, his deep ball left a lot to be desired, and his on field mannerisms were Jay Cutler-esque.  When you pay a guy this much, you expect more.

Which is what we got last year.  Much more.

rodgers had an all time great season last year. not top 5 all time, but still on a list somewhere of the top 20-25 or so. He can be just as committed, just as good as he was the year before and still not have the kind of #s he put up last year, in fact, its pretty likely he doesnt. 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

yikes man, don't fault others if you don't understand the comparison...