Packers close to agreement with Aaron Rodgers for 2021 season (Aaron Rodgers thread v3)

TheKillerNacho

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I don't feel like he will "also want the money" from a different team.  He will do anything and everything he can to show up GB, including taking less to get weaponz.

And I think that's naive.  We heard for years about fans having confidence that their QB was going to be the guy who followed in Brady's footsteps and took less so the rest of his teammates could have more (or so his team could be able to pay weapons more) and yet when push came to shove every single one that I can remember took the new benchmark-setting contract when the opportunity presented itself.  Even the guy with the celebrity/high-earning wife, which was the one argument people had to try to offset/justify Tom being willing to take less.

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That kinda defeats the purpose of drafting Love, they'd be better off trading him for a ransom/players. Hell, Danielle Hunter, a 1st and a 3rd and a future 2 would be a damn good trade for both.

Pretty much.  If you're trading Rodgers - because it's Aaron Rodgers, even if one team thinks they're going to call your bluff there will be others that acquiesce to you demands or thereabouts - you identify at least one area/unit of your team that you know you need to improve markedly in order to give the highest probability of success to Love and whatever you deem as required to achieving that as immediately as possible, that's your floor/starting point for compensation-demand.  I'm not even looking at recent QB trades (i.e. Goff, Wentz, etc.) to set the bar because none of those guys were of the caliber of an Aaron Rodgers, so those deals are basically null-comps (it'd be like using similar size and age properties in my neighborhood - which is plenty nice - as market comps for a property in Bel Air).

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

K.  So....

• No doubt using your first pick and trading up with more capital to take a QB did not sit well.  Rodgers has said it isn't about Love.  And I think he's right.  He's good with Jordan.  He's not good with the position that Jordan plays.
  • He's upset with the front office.  He's said that.  And he has not mentioned the lack of players brought in.  He's talked about how players are treated.
    • He openly praised an unknown WR(yet God in GB) named Kumerow.  Then Kumerow was released.  (If he is truly upset about this, he's way wrong.)  I think he's miffed that he wanted his guy on the roster and the team thought otherwise, and since Rodgers stated it in public, the club made him look bad.  (again, petty)
    • Rodgers was around when Donald Driver got a farewell season.  Jordy Nelson, his friend, was not offered a farewell season.  (just my opinion)
  • He's upset because he knows GB has an "out" on his contract.  A contract that he signed.  With that "out" the team has leverage over him.  It isn't about money, it is about how the money is structured.  If he wants to retire in GB, he needs a deal that will make it financially impossible for GB to move on from him until he is ready to retire. (my opinion)
  • Player wise, he can't be upset.  He's had a very good offensive line.  Team re-signed one of the best LT's in the game, and his friend, to protect his blindside.  Re-signed a very good DL who is still young (probably the best DL that would have been a free agent).  Re-signed his second best weapon in Aaron Jones.
    • Rumor has it that GB offered Rodgers a contract that would free up more money to bring in more players this off-season.  Rodgers refused.  If he wanted "playmakers" he did not do his part to make it happen.
    • Regarding "playmakers", Rodgers lobbied to get Jimmy Graham to GB.  Then didn't throw him the ball.  Graham wasn't anything special, but there were many times he was open, Rodgers just never took a chance on the throws.
  • He's miffed at his coach for kicking the field goal.  Can't blame him for that.  But he should be miffed at his pathetic goal line plays prior to the field goal.  Or his pathetic offense after getting the other two interceptions that didn't result in even one first down. 

Rodgers feels that he is smarter than the front office, and he also feels that by doing this stunt, he is sticking up for his teammates, past and present.  What he doesn't understand is that no one player is bigger than the organization.  And he's making the organization look very smart for drafting a QB to make sure they have a backup plan (not named Jake Jortles) if Rodgers pulls this stuff, or is too injured to play.

Conclusion:  Aaron Rodgers is a "complicated fella".  Unbelievably talented.  But us fans have been here before.  We know there is still football life after a franchise QB leaves.  

Thank you. Sounds thoroughly toxic, and GB should cut their losses.

Edited by Hunter2_1

17 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

rodgers had an all time great season last year. not top 5 all time, but still on a list somewhere of the top 20-25 or so. He can be just as committed, just as good as he was the year before and still not have the kind of #s he put up last year, in fact, its pretty likely he doesnt. 

You may be right.  He had COVID going for him.  No fans on the road.  Defenses behind veteran offenses. ....etc.

But if you look at our passing TD's compared to our rushing TD's, it is a good balance.  If you think about our potential running game, you have to think it will open up more downfield shots.

I think he can do it again and maybe do it better.  But it is on him.  Including offseason training in those legs.

14 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

And I think that's naive.  We heard for years about fans having confidence that their QB was going to be the guy who followed in Brady's footsteps and took less so the rest of his teammates could have more (or so his team could be able to pay weapons more) and yet when push came to shove every single one that I can remember took the new benchmark-setting contract when the opportunity presented itself.  Even the guy with the celebrity/high-earning wife, which was the one argument people had to try to offset/justify Tom being willing to take less.

If you think it's naive to think that Rodgers won't do everything he can to ensure that he makes the GB front office look stupid, well, then you haven't followed Aaron Rodgers much.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Thank you. Sounds thoroughly toxic, and GB should cut their losses.

You are welcome.

And yah, it is toxic at a certain level right now.  But nothing that can't be fixed, on both sides.  But both have to want it to happen.

There are so many possible outcomes here...

• Rodgers reports, all is good.   With or without a new deal, and regardless of who is in the front office.
  • Rodgers is traded in the next few weeks.  5 QB's were drafted, there are fewer QB needy teams out there than there were before the draft.  Future picks have to be involved, and those picks will be worse now than they were before the draft, because if Rodgers is on the team, they win more games.  So, if the trade happens, it needs to be heavy on young, good, cheap players, lighter on picks.
  • Rodgers is traded after the season is over.  He's already devalued from pre-draft due to the above.  No harm in letting him sit out a year, then trading him when picks are known.  This is a very real possibility.
  • Rodgers reports, gets some more money, then is traded in the off-season.
  • Rodgers gets a new deal that makes him a Packer for as long as he wants.  Maybe a change in front office at a position or two.
  • Rodgers is not getting released.

And I'm sure I'm missing some.  My guess is that he reports "as is" or sits out the season.  I think it is a "flip of a coin" on the odds.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He was literally the 62nd overall pick. Comparing them is hilarious. People do draft second rounders for depth and insurance as well. The Packers even did that with Brohm. Actively comparing a guy drafted that low with a first round trade up is crazy.

Trading up for a guy in the first round doesn't guarantee anything though.  The Bears traded up for Mitch Trubisky high in the first round and look how that worked out.  Nobody knows if Love is going to be good, great, or a total bust.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Trading up for a guy in the first round doesn't guarantee anything though.  The Bears traded up for Mitch Trubisky high in the first round and look how that worked out.  Nobody knows if Love is going to be good, great, or a total bust.

But they were specifically drafted to be a starting quarterback. It’s irrelevant whether or not it worked out. Late 2nd rounders are not always drafted to be the heir apparent, and if not for defategate, Jimmy G likely never sees the field in New England.

Jordan Love was clearly drafted to be a starter within 4 years before his rookie contract and 5th year option.