NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Again, don't kill me over sources, but I saw something about the Kings/Lakers discussing a Buddy/Kuzma swap. I think that'd be a pretty solid move for both teams. The Lakers need as much shooting as they can possibly get. 

It's been discussed ad nauseam prior to the rumor coming out.  It makes sense.  There's probably more involved, but that's the framework.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Are there reports about LAL that he was straight wrong about?

He's been on the outside looking in since around the time LeBron James came to the Lakers.  IIRC, he was pretty adamant for a while that LeBron wouldn't seriously consider the Lakers until pretty late.  But it has more to do with the Kawhi situation than anything else.  It was clearly Ballmer influenced articles coming out.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

It's been discussed ad nauseam prior to the rumor coming out.  It makes sense.  There's probably more involved, but that's the framework.

I'd love the move for the Lakers. Buddy isn't a great player but I think he's definitely become underrated. Dude is one of the elite shooters in the league and has been in a pretty bad situation with the Kings. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Woj is well connected around the entire league, didn't you just say a few pages back that if it didn't come from Woj then it needed to be taken with a grain of salt? This dude knows what moves teams are going to make before the GM/owner do, lol. 

But yeah it is pretty weird to see him singing Schroder's praises like he's some high level starting PG. Dude completely ished the bed in the playoffs and has never proven to be a good starting PG, he's way better suited to be in a 6th man type of role. 

Nobody is denying that Woj is connected.  What we are denying is that he has any good sources within the Lakers' organization.  He had one.  Jim Buss.  And ever since Jim Buss was removed, the Lakers "leaks" haven't come out.  Shams, on the other hand, seems to be the guy that they're going to leak anything to if they're going with name reporters.  I'd probably look at Brad Turner and to a much lesser extent Ramona Shelbourne for Lakers' rumors.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

He's been on the outside looking in since around the time LeBron James came to the Lakers.  IIRC, he was pretty adamant for a while that LeBron wouldn't seriously consider the Lakers until pretty late.  But it has more to do with the Kawhi situation than anything else.  It was clearly Ballmer influenced articles coming out.

Very early in LeBron's FA process...

Adrian Wojnarowski on LeBron James: Not only is there no guarantee he’s coming back… I’m not sure there’s an expectation he’s re-signing there. I think they feel that he’s very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the L.A. teams.

Lakers have been notorious over the years for being one of the tightest lipped organizations.

Usually if something is out there its cause they want it to be or its coming from an agent or other team.

Doesn't have to do with this situation, but Woj has also been well detailed for his bias against LeBron in the past. I feel like he's not as bad as he once was, but yeah.

And, like that dude said Shams has the Klutch connection.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Nobody is denying that Woj is connected.  What we are denying is that he has any good sources within the Lakers' organization.  He had one.  Jim Buss.  And ever since Jim Buss was removed, the Lakers "leaks" haven't come out.  Shams, on the other hand, seems to be the guy that they're going to leak anything to if they're going with name reporters.  I'd probably look at Brad Turner and to a much lesser extent Ramona Shelbourne for Lakers' rumors.

Even if he's not hearing it directly from the horses mouth, I'm sure he's getting intel on what the Lakers are discussing with other teams directly from those teams. The one weird thing to me though has been his praise of Dennis Schroder and the fact that he has implied Schroder is worth some crazy big deal. Like did he miss the playoffs this year where he averaged 13 ppg/2 apg on 40% FG? To say that a package centered around KCP/Kuzma couldn't net the Lakers a PG of Dennis level is like, huh? The Lakers could probably sign Derrick Rose to a vet min deal and get better production. 

3 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Lakers have been notorious over the years for being one of the tightest lipped organizations.

AD to the the Lakers was rumored forever before it actually happened, lol. And Woj was saying that LeBron to LA was likely months before it actually happened. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

The one weird thing to me though has been his praise of Dennis Schroder and the fact that he has implied Schroder is worth some crazy big deal.

It shouldn't be weird to you. He's carrying water.

He does it for certain agents/players/teams ALL the time.

It's part of how he gets more scoops and the whole process.

You keep those happy by putting out there what they want you putting out there.

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You mean like when he said Lakers had no shot at LeBron and AD was a lock to be a Celtic?

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/14/adrian-wojnarowski-people-around-nba-feel-lebron-james-likely-to-join-lakers-or-clippers/

A year before LeBron even entered free agency...

I think within Cleveland and around the league, they feel that he’s very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the two L.A. teams. The Lakers could very well be a target. 

But I think the focus, a lot of LeBron’s – his business interests, his Hollywood aspirations, his media ventures are base out there.

Edited by NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

Even if he's not hearing it directly from the horses mouth, I'm sure he's getting intel on what the Lakers are discussing with other teams directly from those teams. The one weird thing to me though has been his praise of Dennis Schroder and the fact that he has implied Schroder is worth some crazy big deal. Like did he miss the playoffs this year where he averaged 13 ppg/2 apg on 40% FG? To say that a package centered around KCP/Kuzma couldn't net the Lakers a PG of Dennis level is like, huh? The Lakers could probably sign Derrick Rose to a vet min deal and get better production. 

And that's why we've discussed why those Westbrook discussions aren't anything to write home about.  Sure, the Lakers have probably had internal discussions about acquiring Westbrook, but the semantics make it physically impossible for those discussions to have happened between LA and Washington.  And there's probably legs to the Kuzma/Hield rumor because they're probably actual discussions going on.  But that doesn't mean it's being leaked by LA.  Schroder isn't getting $100M+ after his no show in the playoffs.