NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

42 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Unfortunately, these are the only moves you can make. Guys like Lowry, Dame, Beal etc. aren’t coming here unless you’re a playoff team on the edge of contending. Zion and Ingram is nice but you have to do something. If this squad gets the 5/6 seed and wins a playoff series, now guys might give you a look. 

Swapping Lonzo for Graham and Satoransky is a lateral move at best, and it's certainly losing upside and a more valuable asset, and we gave away a 1st in the process.

Unless there's something bigger in the works that this sets up I'm not really sure how you can be excited about that as a Pelicans fan

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lowry has everything to do with this, but whatever helps you sleep at night. 

Oh please explain? You think that Griffin was just taken aback when Lowry didn’t sign here? Had no backup plan? Panicked and just traded for Graham on a whim?

You’re on excellent troll mode tonight. I can appreciate it but you’re pissing out bad takes. 

13 minutes ago, amac said:

Swapping Lonzo for Graham and Satoransky is a lateral move at best, and it's certainly losing upside and a more valuable asset, and we gave away a 1st in the process.

Unless there's something bigger in the works that this sets up I'm not really sure how you can be excited about that as a Pelicans fan

I think Pelicans fans have unrealistic expectations. Lonzo was gone, no one wants to sign in New Orleans. It never has been a destination. Only way it becomes one is if Zion/Ingram make a playoff run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Oh please explain? You think that Griffin was just taken aback when Lowry didn’t sign here? Had no backup plan? Panicked and just traded for Graham on a whim?

You’re on excellent troll mode tonight. I can appreciate it but you’re pissing out bad takes. 

Yes, that's exactly what I think. You guys were clearly done with Ball months ago, I posted it here numerous times and you continuously said that it was fake news and that all of the beat reporters "in the know" said the Pelicans would match any offer sheet Lonzo signed. 

The Pelicans being so vocal about their interest in Lowry and how they believed he could have a similar impact as Chris Paul as a veteran PG with your young group let Lonzo know that he wasn't in their plans. I don't think that he just panicked today and made the move for Graham because Lowry to Miami started picking up traction a couple of days ago. But Lowry was clearly your number one target and how vocal you were about it pretty much ensured that Lonzo wouldn't be returning either. 

So you pivoted and gave up Lonzo Ball and a first round pick for Tomas Satoransky, Garrett Temple, Devonte' Graham, and a 2nd round pick. Do you think that was Griffin's plan or the teams primary focus coming into free agency? Of course not. Graham is a solid player but these moves were lateral moves at best and your front office was forced to make them by essentially exhaling Lonzo Ball with their Lowry praise/pursuit. 

You can use the cap numbers as a reason for justification "well Lonzo got $22M and Graham got $12M" but you also took on Satoransky's $10M cap hit and I'd guess that Temple got between $5-7M per year as well. So instead of paying Lonzo $22M you'll be paying those 3 around $30M and gave up a first round pick in the process. 

If Griffin's plan was to clear cap space to pay Graham, Temple, and Satoransky $30M while having to give up Ball and a 1st round pick, then maybe I am in the wrong. But I'd also say that just goes to show why the Pelicans have struggled to build a winner with him leading the team despite having some of the best, most dynamic young players in the league. 

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

I think Pelicans fans have unrealistic expectations. Lonzo was gone, no one wants to sign in New Orleans. It never has been a destination. Only way it becomes one is if Zion/Ingram make a playoff run. 

Lonzo was an RFA. The fact that New Orleans is not  a hot spot for FA's right now is all the more reason why there should be pressure on Griffin to handle that situation better, either keep him or get better compensation.

1 hour ago, amac said:

You cleared like $30M in cap space to swap Lonzo Ball ($21M APY) and a 1st round pick for Graham ($12M APY), Satoransky ($10M APY), and Temple (Likely $7M APY) and a 2nd round pick. With a crowded young backcourt already in place, even if you think Graham is better than Ball, it was a weird move.  

Just now, NYRaider said:

This move also probably ensured that Josh Hart will be playing elsewhere next season as well. So Ball, Hart, a 1st for Graham, Satoransky, Temple, and a 2nd. 

He's a likeable solid bench player but I think his impact is sometimes overstated considering he's pretty meh from 3. I wouldn't have a problem with young guys, Graham, and Satoransky getting his minutes

2 minutes ago, amac said:

He's a likeable solid bench player but I think his impact is sometimes overstated considering he's pretty meh from 3. I wouldn't have a problem with young guys, Graham, and Satoransky getting his minutes

Satoransky is 4 years older and an even worse shooter. The point I was trying to make though is that the Pelicans clearly were all in on Lowry and when it didn't work out made questionable moves. With chatter already starting to come out about Zion being unhappy there, I'm sure seeing Graham's defensive DRAM score will certainly make his camp feel a lot better. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Satoransky is 4 years older and an even worse shooter. The point I was trying to make though is that the Pelicans clearly were all in on Lowry and when it didn't work out made questionable moves. With chatter already starting to come out about Zion being unhappy there, I'm sure seeing Graham's defensive DRAM score will certainly make his camp feel a lot better. 

They are different players, one is a better facilitator, the other a better rebounder and probably a better defender. Both solid bench guys but neither is going to make or break the Pelicans, so I don't think it matters.  I said that because people always talk about Hart like he is a 3 & D guy, which isn't exactly true

Edited by amac