NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

4 minutes ago, amac said:

They are different players, one is a better facilitator, the other a better rebounder and probably a better defender. Both solid bench guys but neither is going to make or break the Pelicans, so I don't think it matters.

The Satoransky/Hart swap won't really move the needle either way. But I'm sure the news about Zion's camp being unhappy with the team, reported by Shams who has been running circles around Woj this off-season, is also not real... lol 

Parting ways with Stan Van Gundy after just one season is not the biggest problem facing the New Orleans Pelicans. They have been unable to put together the right elements to make rising star Zion Williamson and his family happy, and multiple sources have told The Athletic that certain family members want Williamson on another team. - Shams Charania, The Athletic

After a second consecutive year of vast improvements behind the 3-point line, Ball is set for fascinating negotiations as the Pelicans look to shape their team around All-Stars Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram.

Interestingly, that pairing has been two of the most vocal supporters of Ball all season and that continued on Monday. Williamson, in his exit interview with the media, voiced his desire to have Ball back in New Orleans next season.

“It’d be dope,” he said. “I think me, Brandon and Zo, the three of us, we have a great relationship. I really would want Zo to come back, and he knows that. But like I said, the reality of the situation is, Zo’s a grown man, so he’s going to make the decision that’s best for him. The only thing I can say is I hope he stays.”

Edited by NYRaider

I dislike letting Lonzo walk, but he didn't want to be here so it's whatever. The front office has been preaching "players that want to be here" all offseason. Best of luck to him. 

Graham contract seems very good to me, but giving up that much compensation for him is disappointing. 

I have to think that some of these moves are part of a bigger deal to bring in more talent like Buddy, Brogdon or someone else. If not, oof.

Griff and Langdon have got some work to do. It feels like this offseason is just correcting mistakes they made last offseason. However, outside of letting Lonzo walk (even if he did want to leave) and giving up slightly too much compensation for Graham I like what they've done overall.

And shoutout to @MookieMonstah for clapping back at the constant hate every move we make gets. Much respect, man.

Edited by JMG5

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yes, that's exactly what I think. You guys were clearly done with Ball months ago, I posted it here numerous times and you continuously said that it was fake news and that all of the beat reporters "in the know" said the Pelicans would match any offer sheet Lonzo signed. 

The Pelicans being so vocal about their interest in Lowry and how they believed he could have a similar impact as Chris Paul as a veteran PG with your young group let Lonzo know that he wasn't in their plans. I don't think that he just panicked today and made the move for Graham because Lowry to Miami started picking up traction a couple of days ago. But Lowry was clearly your number one target and how vocal you were about it pretty much ensured that Lonzo wouldn't be returning either. 

So you pivoted and gave up Lonzo Ball and a first round pick for Tomas Satoransky, Garrett Temple, Devonte' Graham, and a 2nd round pick. Do you think that was Griffin's plan or the teams primary focus coming into free agency? Of course not. Graham is a solid player but these moves were lateral moves at best and your front office was forced to make them by essentially exhaling Lonzo Ball with their Lowry praise/pursuit. 

You can use the cap numbers as a reason for justification "well Lonzo got $22M and Graham got $12M" but you also took on Satoransky's $10M cap hit and I'd guess that Temple got between $5-7M per year as well. So instead of paying Lonzo $22M you'll be paying those 3 around $30M and gave up a first round pick in the process. 

If Griffin's plan was to clear cap space to pay Graham, Temple, and Satoransky $30M while having to give up Ball and a 1st round pick, then maybe I am in the wrong. But I'd also say that just goes to show why the Pelicans have struggled to build a winner with him leading the team despite having some of the best, most dynamic young players in the league. 

Lonzo isn’t a PG bro. He isn’t good at running an offense. He played a 3/D wing position for us all season, you can easily play Lonzo and Lowry on the court together. Pelicans being vocal about wanting Lowry here is not why Lonzo is gone. This is where you’re incorrect. The Lonzo and Graham moves are completely separate.

Lonzo didn’t want to be here. I can’t tell you why, but he made it clear he wanted out. It would’ve been dumb to match a contract on a guy who didn’t want to be here (Eric Gordon). I lived that horror movie once. Lonzo is gone, you basically get what Chicago is willing to give you at that point. The return is meh but you have no leverage. 

For the 10th time, I wanted Lonzo here. He’s a good 3/D wing. Upset he’s gone. I’m also happy to get Graham. He’s a good shooter, a better passer, had a good year defensively and if he can even become mediocre around the rim he becomes a pretty nice player. We gave up a lottery protected first so Charlotte wouldn’t match, different situation because I’m sure Graham would be okay staying there and it wasn’t an outrageous amount of money so I’m sure Charlotte had interest in matching it. 

At the time of my previous comments, Lonzo and Griffin both were saying publicly that Lonzo wanted to be here. I’m not sure if Lonzo just didn’t want to be the bad guy or what but something obviously changed but it sure as hell wasn’t the Pelicans being interested in an All-Star PG. 

6 hours ago, amac said:

Lonzo was an RFA. The fact that New Orleans is not  a hot spot for FA's right now is all the more reason why there should be pressure on Griffin to handle that situation better, either keep him or get better compensation.

And? He didn’t want to be here. You want to watch Eric Gordon all over again? I sure as hell don’t.