NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

49 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Oubre or Markkanen have to be going to the Spurs right? there's no team going to pay DeRozan, could he be Laker bound?

Have to imagine that if DeRozan wants to get paid, it's going to come from San Antonio or via S&T.

55 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Oubre or Markkanen have to be going to the Spurs right? there's no team going to pay DeRozan, could he be Laker bound?

DeRozan on the Lakers just adds to the horrendous fit they already have.  AD will be the best 3 point shooting player in their starting lineup.  They will be a great rebounding team which will be good with all the bricks they would be putting up from outside.  

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

DeRozan on the Lakers just adds to the horrendous fit they already have.  AD will be the best 3 point shooting player in their starting lineup.  They will be a great rebounding team which will be good with all the bricks they would be putting up from outside.  

everyone trying to be the warriors. I'll take the talent and make it work, take it back to the 90s. Make the league adjust to you 

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

let me guess, you thought Russ was a horrible pickup 

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

everyone trying to be the warriors. I'll take the talent and make it work, take it back to the 90s. Make the league adjust to you 

I get the idea, I just dont think it works.  When you have three wing players shooting 22% from three, nobody is stepping out on you.  The pick and roll is easy if you can always go under it and have the other wing sag  back and block the drive because his guy can't shoot either.  You will have to get real cute with motions and off ball screens but not sure how well that will work for the 38 year old roster.  I like adding talent, but Westbrook never seems to fit with other players, especially ball dominant ones.  Derozan and LBJ are ball dominant. Just feels like a lot of wasted talent if the talent can't do what they are good at. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I get the idea, I just dont think it works.  When you have three wing players shooting 22% from three, nobody is stepping out on you.  The pick and roll is easy if you can always go under it and have the other wing sag  back and block the drive because his guy can't shoot either.  You will have to get real cute with motions and off ball screens but not sure how well that will work for the 38 year old roster.  I like adding talent, but Westbrook never seems to fit with other players, especially ball dominant ones.  Derozan and LBJ are ball dominant. Just feels like a lot of wasted talent if the talent can't do what they are good at. 

I think the Lakers really were really screwed losing so many regular season games last year, it gave them a tough matchup in the first round of the playoffs.  Westbrook will let Lebron and AD coast through the regular season.  Once the playoffs hit Lebron will be like, here Westbrook hold my beer.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

let me guess, you thought Russ was a horrible pickup 

I think Russ is a talent, but you can't just throw darts and put square pegs in round holes.  Here and there you can but not the whole roster.  If Westbrook didn't eat up so much cap, it might be a lot more understandable.  But a bad cap, with a bad fit, just doesnt make sense.  LBJ has always been better when he has had shooters around him.  So why get rid of his best shooters and defenders for another ball dominant non-shooter?  Not to say that roster was better but it was suited better for LBJ.  The Lakers winning depends on the health of LBJ and AD.  If they were healthy in the playoffs this year, they likely win again.  Now that the spacing is shot, and its 3 stars with a bunch of barely in the league players filling out the roster, the team as a whole is worse.  I think Westbrook is good for the team because he might be able to carry them to some wins when AD or Lebron need a game off or when one of them gets hurt.  But he isn't a good fit when all three are healthy. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

could always try to make it work, give it to the deadline. hard to pass on DeRozan if he really wants to come to LA. Maybe his shot comes around, Ronda started drilling 3s on our title run. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think the Lakers really were really screwed losing so many regular season games last year, it gave them a tough matchup in the first round of the playoffs.  Westbrook will let Lebron and AD coast through the regular season.  Once the playoffs hit Lebron will be like, here Westbrook hold my beer.  

exactly. Lebron is able to coast more through the season, lakers won't get automatic losses if AD gets an injury in the regular season. Russ can carry the load 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Still need something around you.  And still have a team made up of 34 year olds and older hoping they all stay healthy and the only guy under 32 is the most injury prone on the roster.  I get the concept, but with teams like Brooklyn, Milwaukee and improvements/health from Denver, Phoenix, Utah etc, you can't win with 2.5 players in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Russ is a talent, but you can't just throw darts and put square pegs in round holes.  Here and there you can but not the whole roster.  If Westbrook didn't eat up so much cap, it might be a lot more understandable.  But a bad cap, with a bad fit, just doesnt make sense.  LBJ has always been better when he has had shooters around him.  So why get rid of his best shooters and defenders for another ball dominant non-shooter?  Not to say that roster was better but it was suited better for LBJ.  The Lakers winning depends on the health of LBJ and AD.  If they were healthy in the playoffs this year, they likely win again.  Now that the spacing is shot, and its 3 stars with a bunch of barely in the league players filling out the roster, the team as a whole is worse.  I think Westbrook is good for the team because he might be able to carry them to some wins when AD or Lebron need a game off or when one of them gets hurt.  But he isn't a good fit when all three are healthy. 

KCP - wasn't the same player last year. He was an inconsistent shooter

1st rounder pick wasn't going help this year 

Kuzma- he went Hollywood. he forgot how to play/shoot etc

Harrell was unplayable in the playoffs 

------- that for a top 15 player in the league. it was a no brainer move 

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

could always try to make it work, give it to the deadline. hard to pass on DeRozan if he really wants to come to LA. Maybe his shot comes around, Ronda started drilling 3s on our title run. 

Counting on Derozan's shot to come around after 13 years is just wishful thinking.  Again, its three ball dominant non shooters on the court at one time.  Somebody is not giving you value.  It would be smarter to use the MLE on Patty Mills or Bryn Forbes who at least fit better and can provide something different the the rest of your team. Adding Derozan and being on the court with Westbrook and/or Lebron decreases the value of two of those players.  And I amguessing it won't be Lebron so then you just have an ok defending, poor spacing SG who's defender will be the first to help on Lebron.