NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

If you're looking purely at upside, sure.  But you also have to weigh in their floors as well.  Cade Cunningham is Brandon Roy.  He's going to be in the NBA for a LONG time.  He may never be the #1 on a championship team, but he's going to be a star in the NBA.  What is Green's floor?  You don't have a clear consensus #1 prospect, yet have players graded out in the same tier.  Cunningham is in a tier to his own.  Green and Mobley are in that next tier, and I think you almost certainly have to take Green given the way the NBA has trended.  If you want to argue there's a bigger gap between Mobley/Green and Kaminga/Suggs/Barnes then between Cunningham and Mobley/Green, I'd absolutely agree.

I personally think Jalen Green is the best prospect in the draft. I don't think Cade's floor is "star" in the NBA, I think he's closer to an Andrew Wiggins level prospect than a LeBron/Luka. Green's ceiling is a scoring champ, MVP level player, he's in the 99th percentile in terms of athleticism and will be an elite athlete among elite athletes even in the NBA. I personally don't think Cade or Mobley have the potential to be the #1 option on a championship team, I think Green does. Kid is special, dude will make the Rockets must see TV. 

Cannen Cunningham went from being the head coach at Highland Park Middle School to one of the highest paid assistant coaches in college basketball. Cade doesn't care about winning, dude sacrificed a chance at a natty to save his big brother, like when LaMelo went to Eastern Europe to save LiAngelo. 

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I personally think Jalen Green is the best prospect in the draft. I don't think Cade's floor is "star" in the NBA, I think he's closer to an Andrew Wiggins level prospect than a LeBron/Luka. Green's ceiling is a scoring champ, MVP level player, he's in the 99th percentile in terms of athleticism and will be an elite athlete among elite athletes even in the NBA. I personally don't think Cade or Mobley have the potential to be the #1 option on a championship team, I think Green does. Kid is special, dude will make the Rockets must see TV. 

How often is a 2 guard the best player on a championship team though? The league has changed since the days of Kobe and Jordan. I guess Booker was close this year but it was a weird year. The league is dominated by wings and athletic bigs.  Cade and Mobley fit that role better than Green.  

Edited by MKnight82

24 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Hate it. Pelicans have never seemed overly attached to Lonzo and I don't get why. He's literally a perfect fit with Zion.

Lonzo is one of those players that's valuable on a reasonable contract and a burden when taking up a ton of your cap. 

32 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Hate it. Pelicans have never seemed overly attached to Lonzo and I don't get why. He's literally a perfect fit with Zion.

It all depends on the size of the contract. If there's word he's going to get $25+ million a year, then I'd let him go. He is a good fit, but that's A LOT of money for 3 players with Ingram on a max and Zion getting paid in 2 years. Had they shown more improvement this season in the win column, it would make it easier to swallow.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Most largely view Cunningham as the #1 prospect.  Not all, but most.  And he's definitely not a Wigging-level of prospect.  And Wiggins was a good prospect coming out of college.  Green is also significantly lower floor than Cunningham.  He's the right pick for the Rockets, but Cunningham is a superior prospect.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Green/Cade coming into the league reminds me of Edwards/LaMelo last year. Green was playing against pros like LaMelo. Cade was hiding out at a small program getting whooped on like AntMan. 

It's still an awful comparison.  Cunningham is all the way around better than Edwards.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

How often is a 2 guard the best player on a championship team though? The league has changed since the days of Kobe and Jordan. I guess Booker was close this year but it was a weird year. The league is dominated by wings and athletic bigs.  Cade and Mobley fit that role better than Green.  

There hasn't been a player of that caliber at the 2 since Kobe to lead a team there.  Harden was close but wasn't athletic enough and didn't play D.  D Wade led the Heat pre LBJ and was probably the leader with LBJ.  Klay and Steph both sort of play like 2 guards albeit Steph handles the ball more but is a primary scorer. The league has changed because Lebron dominated the league.  And KD, Kawhi and Giannis are great players.  If a guard had the skill, drive and talent to be one of the best players in the league, they still can be, there just hasn't been one.  Green is the best SG talent in the draft since D Wade IMO.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It's still an awful comparison.  Cunningham is all the way around better than Edwards.

I get the concept of it but the players are backwards.  Cade is much more like Lamelo (tall ball handler, doesnt always look to score first) and Green similar to Edwards (athletic SG, although Green has been much more efficient shooting).  People struggled with Ball being the #1 pick with his struggles against grown men and less publicity, although Melo had a lot of pub since he was 13 years old.  Edwards felt safer than Lamelo, just like Cade feels safer than Green.  So I get the point he is making that playing on ESPN more vs very little tape seems to be driving this draft.