NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Ben is a good player. A very good 82-game player. He makes Portland too close to average to try and tank. If they trade Lillard, this needs to be a blow it up situation. Keeping McCollum and trading for Simmons keeps them between 35-40 wins and at the end of the lottery. Worst place to be.

Before his FT debauchery this year it wasn't an issue in the playoffs. And they were a bounce away from the ECF when Kawhi hit the buzzer beater to win the series just a couple of years ago. 

I think one of the biggest issues for Simmons is that his game doesn't really fit with Embiid. They're both at their best around the rim and need to be surrounded by shooters. If the Blazers bring back Powell they'd have a solid team, imo. 

CJ/Powell can both score 20+ ppg and shoot 38%+ from 3, RoCo is a solid shooter as well. Neither one of those guys would have to be the primary ball handler either cause Benny would be at point forward. They'd also be landing Thybulle who is a defensive monster and semi okay 3 point shooter. And Maxey who flashed as a guy that could be a solid scorer off the bench. 

As I said before in clutch time a lineup of CJ - Powell - Thybulle - Roco - Ben would be nice af. 

41 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

exactly.  thats why its best to wait to see how the nets will be a few years down the line.  If the Nets are god awful in a few years, Rockets can use those picks to get way better while they already have their core. 

That is true, when the Nets gave up all of their picks to form their first failed super team 3 of those picks later became Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, and Collin Sexton. 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Lakers insider @CWood21 said they'd never consider Westbrick though.

Your inability to understand basic NBA concepts is astounding.  But continue to let your trolling ways cloud your judgement.  I'll explain it again since you clearly weren't paying attention the first time.  Right now, players are NOT allowed to discuss contracts with any other teams aside from the team their current contract is set to expire.  So based on that fact alone, the Wizards would have ZERO idea of what they'd need to get Dennis Schroder and Talen Horton-Tucker to agree in order to agree to be dealt to Washington as a S&T.  And given that they BOTH need to agree to a S&T in order for a deal to be consummated, there's even more question because if one of them says no to being S&Ted to Washington, the deal falls apart.  But then there's also that nasty (for a lack of a better term) BYC clause that limits the trade value of Dennis Schroder and THT.  Because of that, you couldn't include Schroder as part of the deal with his Y1 salary being greater than $18.6M without affecting how his salary would affect the trade.  And it's even tougher with THT.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Your inability to understand basic NBA concepts is astounding.  But continue to let your trolling ways cloud your judgement.  I'll explain it again since you clearly weren't paying attention the first time.  Right now, players are NOT allowed to discuss contracts with any other teams aside from the team their current contract is set to expire. 

So well respected NBA insider Marc Spears says it but there's absolutely no merit to it? I wonder why every major news outlet has ran the story then? 

After a disappointing first-round exit from the playoffs, the 2020 NBA champion Lakers are reportedly in the market for a veteran point guard. 

Suns star Chris Paul is on their wish list, but so is Russell Westbrook, per The Undefeated's Marc Spears.

"According to sources, LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers have been on the hunt for veteran point guard, and Paul is on the list," Spears wrote. "There have also been talks about Washington Wizards star Russell Westbrook being a potential candidate to move back home to Los Angeles in a sign-and-trade deal that could include free agent point guard Dennis Schroder, forward Kyle Kuzma and guard Talen Horton-Tucker, sources said."

And even if players are not allowed to discuss contracts with any other teams, that doesn't mean that the Lakers aren't having internal conversations about how they could potentially acquire him. I think it's also pretty safe to assume that while teams aren't "allowed to talk to guys" agents are constantly communicating with each other and team executives about potential deals even before the legal tampering period begins. If not then NBA agents/teams must be able to negotiate extremely complex, multi-million dollar contracts within a couple of hours because as soon as free agency begins we see guys agreeing to deals with teams within hours.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So well respected NBA insider Marc Spears says it but there's absolutely no merit to it? I wonder why every major news outlet has ran the story then? 

When was the last time Marc Spears broke any notable news?  If it's not coming from Shams or Woj, it really has no merit.

And even if players are not allowed to discuss contracts with any other teams, that doesn't mean that the Lakers aren't having internal conversations about how they could potentially acquire him. I think it's also pretty safe to assume that while teams aren't "allowed to talk to guys" agents are constantly communicating with each other and team executives about potential deals even before the legal tampering period begins. If not then NBA agents/teams must be able to negotiate extremely complex, multi-million dollar contracts within a couple of hours because as soon as free agency begins we see guys agreeing to deals with teams within hours.

No kidding Sherlock.  Every team has internal discussions.  I'm sure every team has internal discussions about nearly every player.

Just now, CWood21 said:

When was the last time Marc Spears broke any notable news?  If it's not coming from Shams or Woj, it really has no merit.

They can in separate transactions. Not in the same transactions. But there's nothing preventing two separate transactions occuring at the same time. But both transactions have to be valid. You can't make up the difference in salaries in another transaction.

In theory though couldn't the Lakers do the move in two separate transactions? The first would probably be Harrell, Kuzma, Schroder (S&T w/$18M year 1 salary) for Westbrook and then a S&T of THT for whatever makes it work in terms of the cap hit. 

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No kidding Sherlock.  Every team has internal discussions.  I'm sure every team has internal discussions about nearly every player.

So salty, well you're probably right, just gotta pray the Lakers are bad enough for some lottery luck next year. 

In theory though couldn't the Lakers do the move in two separate transactions? The first would probably be Harrell, Kuzma, Schroder (S&T w/$18M year 1 salary) for Westbrook and then a S&T of THT for whatever makes it work in terms of the cap hit. 

Yes.  The Lakers would need to send out just under $35.3M in order to swallow Westbrook's contract.  You've got Schroder ($18.6M), Kyle Kuzma ($13M), and Montrezl Harrell ($9.7M).  But the problem is you're now adding another variable (is Montrezl Harrell going to opt into his contract) to the equation on top of what you already have (THT and Dennis Schroder agreeing to be S&Ted to Washington).  The more variable you add to the equation, the less likely it is to happen.  Dual S&T almost NEVER happen.  And for good reason.  They're incredibly hard to execute.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  The Lakers would need to send out just under $35.3M in order to swallow Westbrook's contract.  You've got Schroder ($18.6M), Kyle Kuzma ($13M), and Montrezl Harrell ($9.7M).  But the problem is you're now adding another variable (is Montrezl Harrell going to opt into his contract) to the equation on top of what you already have (THT and Dennis Schroder agreeing to be S&Ted to Washington).  The more variable you add to the equation, the less likely it is to happen.  Dual S&T almost NEVER happen.  And for good reason.  They're incredibly hard to execute.

If the Lakers are willing to include the #22 pick and future draft capital couldn't they potentially get a deal done without including THT? Structure Schroder's deal at $18M in year 1 with a pay raise in year 2/3. And I don't see why Schroder would be against going to Washington where he'd be the starting PG, something that's clearly important to him. And is Harrell really going to opt out? I can't imagine anyone would pay him more then his current contract after the way he played this season. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

If the Lakers are willing to include the #22 pick and future draft capital couldn't they potentially get a deal done without including THT? Structure Schroder's deal at $18M in year 1 with a pay raise in year 2/3. And I don't see why Schroder would be against going to Washington where he'd be the starting PG, something that's clearly important to him. And is Harrell really going to opt out? I can't imagine anyone would pay him more then his current contract after the way he played this season. 

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if the Lakers felt they could get OKC Westbrook (with Durant) playing alongside LeBron James and Anthony Davis.  The problem is Lakers don't have much in the way of future draft capital to offer.  Excluding pick swaps, the only picks the Lakers can offer are #22 (post-draft), '23 SRP, '24 SRP, '25 SRP, '27 FRP, '27 SRP, '28 FRP (after the 2021 NBA Draft), and '28 SRP (after the 2021 NBA Draft).

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if the Lakers felt they could get OKC Westbrook (with Durant) playing alongside LeBron James and Anthony Davis.  The problem is Lakers don't have much in the way of future draft capital to offer.  Excluding pick swaps, the only picks the Lakers can offer are #22 (post-draft), '23 SRP, '24 SRP, '25 SRP, '27 FRP, '27 SRP, '28 FRP (after the 2021 NBA Draft), and '28 SRP (after the 2021 NBA Draft).

Lakers trying to afford champagne on a malt liquor budget, LeGM has no grasp of the idea that a team needs to be good for more then 1-2 seasons. 

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So salty, well you're probably right, just gotta pray the Lakers are bad enough for some lottery luck next year. 

When the Lakers are in the playoffs (again) next year, I'll tell you I told you so.  And doesn't matter how bad (or good) the Lakers are, their pick is conveying to New Orleans.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lakers trying to afford champagne on a malt liquor budget, LeGM has no grasp of the idea that a team needs to be good for more then 1-2 seasons. 

Still more rings then your star...