NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And I've been fine with this approach. If we can get Sexton or someone like Grant? That would be very solid. It shouldn't just be Beal/Lillard or bust. 

No way should they draft and keep both their picks. At least one of them needs to go for a legitimate starting caliber vet. 

I wonder if the Siakam talks how slowed down or something? Haven't heard anything about that for a minute. 

A move like Wiggins + #7 to Detroit for Jerami Grant, Mason Plumlee, and Josh Jackson wouldn't be a bad move. 

I've heard that the Simmons to GSW talks are pretty much dead at this point but I never really liked that move either way. 

The Siakam rumors have started to heat up again but we're getting so close to the draft that deals are going to have to start happening sooner rather than later. 

Not sure the Warriors or Jazz would do it but as a Jazz fan I'd love to see a trade like...

Warriors receive: Joe Ingles, Bojan Bogdanovic, Derrick Favors, #30

Jazz receive: Andrew Wiggins, Kevon Lonney, Damion Lee, #7 

It's obviously not a glamorous move for the Warriors but I think that it'd be one that would really help their team compete next year. Ingles was just 2nd in 6th MOY voting, is a very solid playmaker, and a great shooter off the bench. Bojan is a lethal scorer and one of the best shooters in the league that has shown he can be a key cog on a competitive team. And both of those guys are on very fair contracts, their combined cap hit is lower than Andrew Wiggins. The Warriors would also be losing Looney but replacing him with a veteran big man in Favors as Wiseman's backup. 

For the Jazz we give up two key pieces on our team but acquire more athleticism in Wiggins, Lee, and Lonney. And then could look to spend the #7 pick on someone like Moody, Barnes, Kuminga, or Giddey.

Edited by NYRaider

56 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And for someone like Ayton if the Suns don't want to extend him I could see a situation where he just takes the qualifying offer next off-season, doesn't sign an offer sheet with anyone else, and then enters free agency the following off-season as an unrestricted free agent. Especially if CP3 starts to decline and the Suns aren't able to replicate their postseason success. @DirtyDez

That’s what Minnesota did with Wiggins.  They gave him the max before the last year of his rookie deal.. Ayton played well in the postseason but there’s still evidence he’s not that guy yet.  If they wait and he balls out ending in a bigger contract than whatever.  I need more data.  

They might offer something like 5/150 which is less than max.  They’d be in the luxury tax for Paul’s last year most likely. 

2 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

That’s what Minnesota did with Wiggins.  They gave him the max before the last year of his rookie deal.. Ayton played well in the postseason but there’s still evidence he’s not that guy yet.  If they wait and he balls out ending in a bigger contract than whatever.  I need more data.  

They might offer something like 5/150 which is less than max.  They’d be in the luxury tax for Paul’s last year most likely. 

The Wiggins situation and the Ayton situation is like comparing apples to oranges though. Collin Sexton's current contract situation is more comparable to the Wiggins deal as both are guys that put up big stats on losing teams that had zero post-season success. There's more to it then just basic statistics when considering when/if to offer a contract extension, Ayton's numbers decreased in the regular season but he played a key role in your finals run with his play against AD, Jokic, and the small ball Clippers. When it mattered the most Ayton played his best basketball on a finals team that hadn't even been to the post-season in a decade. 

If you're unable to agree on an extension before the season starts, IIRC, by default you have to sign him to a qualifying offer and let him test RFA. Booker got the max 5 yr/$158M extension from Phoenix after his first 3 seasons despite never having been an All-Star and the team being one of the worst in the league at the time. So with that in mind I think it'd be kind of a slap in the face to Ayton and his camp if he didn't get the same offer after how he just played in the playoffs, especially as a former #1 overall pick. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I know they just re-did measurements but at the NBA combine (in shoes) Brad Beal was 6'4.75" with a 6'8" wingspan. His defense hasn't been great the last couple of years but he was okay defensively when Washington was a playoff team in '16-17 and '17-18. I do kind of question the fit because they'd have to move Klay Thompson to the 3. But at this point he's probably the best star player the Warriors could land with the assets they have to offer. 

I love the fit on offense. Beal is a better fit offensively then Dame is. Beal is a better off ball player which will work with the read and react offense Kerr runs. His off ball movement will fit right in. 

Beal is about as good as its gonna get as far as star player that will be available. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I love the fit on offense. Beal is a better fit offensively then Dame is. Beal is a better off ball player which will work with the read and react offense Kerr runs. His off ball movement will fit right in. 

Beal is about as good as its gonna get as far as star player that will be available. 

Agreed. Beal is probably one of the most underrated players in the league and his scoring output over the last two seasons has only been matched by some of the greatest players to play the game. Offensively I agree that he definitely fits better with your group because he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective as we saw when he played at a high level next to a healthy John Wall. 

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

how the ish would they even make that happen?

If the Celtics don't want to give up Jaylen Brown, which I think it's safe to assume they wouldn't, the only way it could potentially work would be a deal built around Marcus Smart, Aaron Nesmith, Grant Williams, Romeo Langford, and Tristian Thompson (for cap matching purposes). Plus whatever draft capital the Celtics are able to trade in the near future. 

Obviously not an ideal package but the Wizards would be getting a bunch of young wings that were recent first round picks and an elite defender in Smart. 

Washington doesn't have a ton of leverage with Beal anymore, especially since his camp is hinting that he wants out. Because he can just opt out and become an unrestricted free agent next season so any team that trades for him could lose him after the season. And any team that trades for him at the deadline could really only get him for half of a season. So he, like Anthony Davis, can really force a trade to whichever team he wants to play for because I doubt very many teams are going to be willing to give up significant assets for him unless they know he's willing to sign an extension.

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If the Celtics are able to pull it off without giving up Brown they should pursue a ring chasing veteran PG like Lowry or swing a deal for someone like Rondo. 

Lowry - Beal - Brown - Tatum - Horford

Oooof. 

How the **** would they pull that off?

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Wiggins situation and the Ayton situation is like comparing apples to oranges though. Collin Sexton's current contract situation is more comparable to the Wiggins deal as both are guys that put up big stats on losing teams that had zero post-season success. There's more to it then just basic statistics when considering when/if to offer a contract extension, Ayton's numbers decreased in the regular season but he played a key role in your finals run with his play against AD, Jokic, and the small ball Clippers. When it mattered the most Ayton played his best basketball on a finals team that hadn't even been to the post-season in a decade. 

If you're unable to agree on an extension before the season starts, IIRC, by default you have to sign him to a qualifying offer and let him test RFA. Booker got the max 5 yr/$158M extension from Phoenix after his first 3 seasons despite never having been an All-Star and the team being one of the worst in the league at the time. So with that in mind I think it'd be kind of a slap in the face to Ayton and his camp if he didn't get the same offer after how he just played in the playoffs, especially as a former #1 overall pick. 

Booker was a 25 ppg guy at 21 years old.  Based on his arc everyone knew he’d be an all star eventually and they’d start winning once he got real players around him.  Ayton played well in spurts this postseason but still disappears just as much.  There’s bigger priorities given he’s still under contract for another year.

42 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

How the **** would they pull that off?

As I said the Wizards don't have any leverage with a Beal trade at this point because he can opt out next off-season. It's like the Anthony Davis situation a couple of years ago. Obviously the Lakers ended up giving up a lot but AD at the time was considered a top 5 player, while Beal is closer to the 15-20 range. But at at the end of the day AD ended up where he wanted to be because other teams were hesitant to give up a ton of assets to acquire him knowing that he was determined to be in LA one way or another. And Kawhi just dipped out of Toronto, despite winning a title, after 1 year because he had his eyes set on being in Los Angeles. 

If Beal is dead set on playing in Boston he can just opt out and sign there next off-season, they can easily dump Horford's partially guaranteed salary by giving up some draft assets or young pieces to clear enough space to afford him. 

So if he does demand a trade and says I want to be in Boston and the Celtics are the only team that I'll commit to long-term, do you think other teams are going to be eager to send Washington significant assets to acquire him? Especially when we just saw Kawhi leave the Raptors after a championship season? 

Maybe someone like the Warriors or 76ers could do it in hopes that they can convince him to stay longer than a year. But if he wants to be in Boston he will be, either this year via trade or next year via free agency. 

1 minute ago, DirtyDez said:

Booker was a 25 ppg guy at 21 years old.  Based on his arc everyone knew he’d be an all star eventually and they’d start winning once he got real players around him.  Ayton played well in spurts this postseason but still disappears just as much.  There’s bigger priorities given he’s still under contract for another year.

If the Suns don't offer him the max extension and let him hit RFA he'd be the only #1 pick other than Anthony Bennett in the last decade to do so. Even Markelle Fultz got extended, albeit not a max deal, but he still never hit RFA. Again, this is just my opinion but it's a bad look for the organization, especially if CP3 opts in and then gets an extension for 2 years/$96M. Because the Suns would be committing 3 yr/$140M to a 36 year old CP3 while refusing to commit 5 yr/$158M to a 23 year old Ayton? 

Beal does not have a proverbial list of preferred destinations, but it was mentioned by multiple sources that he would welcome joining teams such as Boston, Golden State, Miami or Philadelphia—although Beal requesting a trade would all but guarantee an expansive bidding war across the league. The number of potential destinations and interested suitors could span a significant portion of the NBA.