Saban

Phinsesq

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/21/when-dolphins-didnt-land-drew-brees-nick-saban-decided-im-getting-out-of-here/

According to profootballtalk.com, Nick Saban has said he decided to leave Miami when they didn't sign Drew Brees. My immediate reaction and as the article points out. Saban had complete control. I know it is old and we are beating a long dead horse. As a Miami fan I gotta call BS. This kind of revisionist history just irks me. The guy is a great college coach but was not a good NFL coach. When you want total control of a team, coaching and personnel wise, those failed decisions are his to own. 

• Like 1

Once the Chargers drafted Rivers, Brees flipped a switch and started playing at higher level. I remember being stoked that he was going to be a Dolphin at the time and let down that it didn't work out but understood why as an outsider looking in. All water under the bridge really. I just like to keep it in perspective, Saban has many defenders who think he is the greatest coach ever, who will latch onto that false narrative and claim it was the organization's fault as to why he couldn't hack it at the professional level. Which in no way takes away from everything he has accomplished in the college ranks. Would respect the guy more if he owned his decisions is all. 

Like Jerry Jones recently admitted that Jimmy Johnson was a great coach and that he (Jerry) f'd it up. I respect that. 

On a complete side note that book "boys will be boys" about the Dallas Cowboys dynasty years in the 90s is a great read. Not a Cowboys fan but man it is entertaining. Charles Haley was bonkers, I think that is the clinical term.  

• Like 1