Week 8 GDT: Titans vs. Bye AKA Texans v. Seahawks

titans0021

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

That's about as deceiving as Ruskie's posts Mesa. First-place in the AFC South is great, but nobody can pretend to be overly happy about the on-field product over the last month.

When taking in all of the variables, (injuries, refs screwing us out of a win, ect..) it's something most Titans fans should be mostly happy with.Non-stop complaining while being in first place with how bad this franchise has been the last 8 years is just lunacy.

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

When taking in all of the variables, (injuries, refs screwing us out of a win, ect..) it's something most Titans fans should be mostly happy with. Complaining while being in first place with how bad this franchise has been the last 8 years is just lunacy.

We're 4-3, coming off about as ugly a win as you'll ever find in the NFL, and have had some bad losses in the last few weeks. I'm not going to pretend I'm mad about 4-3, but being frustrated with the team's performance isn't crazy. I guess I'm just not willing to accept that we're Titans fans so we have to accept any shred of decent performance that we get.

We're coming off of a 9-7 season with an offseason in which we had a ridiculous amount of cap room and two top 16 picks. I'm just not looking to settle for being the same team as last year. Which is exactly what we're on pace for.

With that said, obviously going too far negative is too much. We've had some rough luck with injuries and, as always, had even worse luck with officiating. Just saying that being negative isn't out of bounds. Doing it in an obvious troll way though crosses a line.

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

Which is what Ruskie does.

In other forums? Yeah, probably. In here? I don't really think so. The start of this discussion was this:

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

We lost to these Dolphins.

Please let that sink in.

That's just not trolling to me. Beyond that, nothing else he said was bad. Or struck me as something that crossed a line. 

9 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

When taking in all of the variables, (injuries, refs screwing us out of a win, ect..) it's something most Titans fans should be mostly happy with.Non-stop complaining while being in first place with how bad this franchise has been the last 8 years is just lunacy.

And therein lies the problem. We've been at the bottom of the totem pole for so long, a lot of people are just happy to have a winning record and division standing. Personally, I'd like my team to have championship ambitions, and unlike some folks, I won't drink the koolaid simply because it is my team. This decade we've had some barren rosters, but with the talent we currently have, I expect more than the performances we've put on with the Dolphins, Texans, and Browns.

7 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

And therein lies the problem. We've been at the bottom of the totem pole for so long, a lot of people are just happy to have a winning record and division standing. Personally, I'd like my team to have championship ambitions, and unlike some folks, I won't drink the koolaid simply because it is my team. This decade we've had some barren rosters, but with the talent we currently have, I expect more than the performances we've put on with the Dolphins, Texans, and Browns.

100% Truth People are happy with mediocrity around here I guess.

12 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I mean, it kind of is. You can't be scoring nine points in 60 minutes of football against the Browns. It's not world-ending, but it's pretty sad.

Should we have score more? Yea. But I think going back to the point of the LaConfora article, blaming Murlakey 100% just doesn't compute to me.  Mariota makes 2 throws and Henry doesn't fall we have more than 21 points on the board.  How that goes back to Murlakery, is beyond me.

Browns are terrible offensively. Defensively, they are an average team. If they had some type of offense, they win those several 3-point losses and are a more "respectable" team.

The difference between our 4-3 and say the Steelers 5-2 is a couple plays and an injured QB.  Our expectations were that our offense would pick up where it left of and beyond. It hasn't and it feels worst than some are making it out to be. 

Perception is that we are severely underachieving mainly because of expectations. Maybe set unfairly (too early). 

I know when it's all said and done, we scored 9 points. But I don't feel too down, because I know it could have been more. It would be different if Mariota was having a Tribisky type day completing 5 passes.  I'd have no faith in it being better.  But very easily....very easily could have been more points on the board. And everyone's feelings wouldn't be as down about the game.

13 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

100% Truth People are happy with mediocrity around here I guess.

LOL 

If you call what we have going right now mediocrity then I GUESS I AM HAPPY WITH IT! No we aren't perfect and yes there are things we aren't doing well and need to be fixed but there are somethings we have done well... We are getting the bye week at a perfect time for Marcus, Murray, And Walker to rest up not to mention we are 2-1 in the south and sitting in 1st place LOL. AND even better has anyone looked at our upcoming games? Of the next nine games only 3 teams have a winning record 2 of them are .500 and we are built for cold weather so the later we get into the season the better we will get imo. Also Corey Davis... LIKE PULL YA 84 JERSEYS OUT!!!! 

But it's all good. You guys are allowed to only focus on the negative and be upset all the time and freak out in the GDT and want to fire everyone every week, It's up to you what you focus on. 

Its just getting really old and if you think your negative bs every other post isn't effecting the traffic around here at all you're wrong. I have started not to post or even get on the site because of it and I doubt Im the only one. And I know theres a ignore button but meh I shouldn't have to do that. Like RT  if you can't be happy about a W with no injuries then idk what to tell you. But yeah I'm done auguring with the same two or three people every week! Just going to post my thoughts and reply to the ones that understand whats going on and not freaking out about every little thing. TitanUP doe!

33 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

But it's all good. You guys are allowed to only focus on the negative and be upset all the time and freak out in the GDT and want to fire everyone every week, It's up to you what you focus on. 

Honestly, I just don't see this. Outside of the GDT. But GDTs have been that way for a decade at this point, you're living on every play and for a long time that means that there's going to be more negativity because we have had a lot more negative things happen than positive on a week-to-week basis.

It wasn't negative around here after the Colts game. Or the Jags game. Definitely not after the Seahawks game. You have a forum of people that care enough to post about a team that has been bad for a long time on a football forum. Those kind of people (and I'm really talking about myself here) are likely going to have real emotional swings on a play-to-play basis, but even moreso on a week-to-week basis.

Nobody wants to be negative. God knows I want nothing more than to have a ton of nice things to say about the team. But we've been mediocre this year. There's really no other way to describe it. Some things have been out of our control, but our starting quarterback has thrown four touchdowns and four interceptions in five starts. And he was what had the vast majority of us excited for the season.

Give us more than one decent performance in a row and this place will be busting out the champagne. All you have to do is look back a month.

Mainly though, this is the downfall of coming into a season with expectations. This isn't last year, where every win still just felt like a blessing. We came into this season as the favorites in the AFC South. Through seven games, in what was not a particularly difficult stretch, we're currently being outscored by 15 points. The Jaguars have a +73 point differential, the Texans have a +30 point differential.

I just don't think any of us need to be so adversarial about this. It's perfectly understandable to be alright with 4-3. But it's also totally reasonable to not be happy with the team's performance, particularly over the last month.

None of us want the team to lose. We just want them to look better. Because for the first time in a long time, the talent is actually there to be better.

3 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

But how, though?

Admittedly, it may have something to do with me being an inherently pessimistic football fan. But most of the "negative" discussions seem like real discussions about where the team currently is. Like this entire chain started with Ruskie stating a fact. We lost to that Dolphins team. Now, did he go into details and specific circumstances as to why we lost, of course not, but I'm not overwhelmed by that negativity.

Part of it's my fault, I let myself get hopeful about this team. Particularly after the Jags and Seahawks games. So watching the last month has been disheartening. I don't want to keep hammering on this, but our franchise quarterback, the guy we all love, has thrown four touchdown passes and we are almost at the halfway point of the season. That's not me being negative, that's stating a fact. I made a thread about the subject and I feel like it was a decent discussion.

That, to me, is where I can primarily see the complaints from the guys that are being more positive. And it's something I'm going to try to be better at and hopefully some of the other more negatively-inclined posters can follow.

Don't just be negative. Create threads and try to get discussion going on the negative aspects in a way that we can actually discuss both sides. Honestly, I think Ruskie, outside of his first post, did a decent job of phrasing his frustration in a way that wasn't trolling and was fairly accurate. 

We can all do better. But for those that were already predispositioned to be concerned about the team, heading into two weeks off after the Browns game was unfortunate. If we go out there, Marcus hits that throw to Delanie, Henry hits a couple holes and Robiskie stops forcing the offense into poor situations and we win that game 27-9 or something, I don't think this discussion is even happening.

Hope that explains where I'm at.

The truly frustrating thing for me(and I'm sure many others) is that this is the season to take advantage of our division. The Colts are without Luck, the Jags(while having a great defense) have Bortles at QB and the Texans have a rookie QB and have been disseminated by injuries defensively.

The AFC South isn't going to get any easier over the next few years, so we need to take advantage while it's down. And while we're 4-3, our play in the first half of the season won't get the job done if we want to win the division.

Archived