Jump to content

Fred Warner's massive ILB extension may set bar for Roquan


Recommended Posts

Wow. Now I feel like ARob is a goner for sure. Pace isn't passing over his one (or first if Fields turns into a good starter) really good first round pick over a guy he snagged in FA. I know there is a lot of maneuverability in contracts but this hurts.

 

I was really hoping to get a done that would at least be between Jaylon Smith and CJ Mosely. Overly optimistic I guess. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's consider that after 2022 when the NFLPA and the NFL have agreed upon a $208 mil cap as part of agreeing to a 2021 cap floor of $182 mil the cap will once again grow significantly.  I suspect the 2023 cap will be over $220 mil and by 2025 it will be in the neighborhood of $250 mil.  Warner and his agent are simply taking advantage of that now in the terms of the deal they've agreed to.

Let's not act shocked if Roquan Smith asks for and gets a similar deal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, malagabears said:

What's most important to note here is that the guaranteed $$$ is only $40.5 mil.  That's less than half the total value of his deal so without even looking at it's structure yet this tells me SF has a pretty good back door built in after year two or three when his guaranteed $$$ has been paid.

Fred Warner and the 49ers have agreed on a five-year, $95 million extension, with $40.5 million guaranteed, according to ESPN. This will make him the highest-paid inside linebacker in the NFL.

IMHO the way deals like this need to be viewed is it's a $40.5 mil contract with an opportunity to earn as much as $95 mil.  It's like a sales job that pays a base salary of $60k with an opportunity to make twice that in commissions if you can produce at that kinda level.  A whole lot of guys never see much more than that $60k base because the company doesn't want it's entire sales force making that kind of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roquan is currently set with cap numbers of $6M this year and $9.7M in 2022 before he’s set for UFA. We could realistically do a comparable extension for him now that doesn’t impact our cap negatively at all (and maybe lowers his numbers) until 2023 when the Hicks, Quinn, Trevathan and (sadly, probably) ARob money is mostly if not entirely off the books. If he’s the guy the team sees as the core leader of our defense for the next 5 years then it only makes sense to do so. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

We won't have any WRs for our young QB to throw to, but at least we'll have an expensive MLB to go with the rest of our expensive defense.

????  ARob and Mooney ain't exactly chopped liver and out of the rest we should be able to expect at least one guy to rise to the occasion.  Then we deal with WRs for 2022 in 2022 in FA and/or the Draft.

Warner's deal is now posted on Spotrac and OTC:  https://overthecap.com/player/fred-warner/6955/

His big numbers don't hit 'til year 3 (2023) and after.  By then the cap should be somewhat over $220 mil and climbing again. As far as the Bears are concerned we'll have shed ourselves of some of the higher cap guys we have now.  Some as early as 2022.

As long as Nagy can prove his ability to produce a top offense with Fields at the helm I don't believe Pace will have much of a problem re-balancing his spending devoting more of it to the offense as we build around Fields.  But until then it's our defense keeping us in games.

 

Edited by soulman
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulman said:

????  ARob and Mooney ain't exactly chopped liver and out of the rest we should be able to expect at least one guy to rise to the occasion.  Then we deal with WRs for 2022 in 2022 in FA and/or the Draft.

Warner's deal is now posted on Spotrac and OTC:  https://overthecap.com/player/fred-warner/6955/

His big numbers don't hit 'til year 3 (2023) and after.  By then the cap should be somewhat over $220 mil and climbing again. As far as the Bears are concerned we'll have shed ourselves of some of the higher cap guys we have now.  Some as early as 2022.

As long as Nagy can prove his ability to produce a top offense with Fields at the helm I don't believe Pace will have much of a problem re-balancing his spending devoting more of it to the offense as we build around Fields.  But until then it's our defense keeping us in games.

It was tongue in cheek, more a comment about Bears culture where the team will jump to pay 19M for a MLB but won't pay 18M for the best WR we've had in years. And many fans cheer this on while at the same time bemoaning that this franchise never develops a QB.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

It was tongue in cheek, more a comment about Bears culture where the team will jump to pay 19M for a MLB but won't pay 18M for the best WR we've had in years. And many fans cheer this on while at the same time bemoaning that this franchise never develops a QB.

Here I'm with you 100%.  I seems like all of a sudden Pace and Nagy have gotten on this "gotta have speed at WR" kick and are willing to overlook how ARob doesn't need miles of separation or any at times.  If you throw to him accurately enough he comes up with a catch more often than not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

And Darius Leonard raises that bar.

Colts make Darius Leonard NFL's highest-paid ILB with five-year, $99.25 million deal

By Erin Walsh  |  Last updated 8/8/21
 

The Indianapolis Colts have made Darius Leonard the NFL's highest-paid inside linebacker with a five-year, $99.25 million deal, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. 

Leonard's new deal includes $52.5 million guaranteed and is scheduled to pay him $20 million per year over the first three years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulman said:

And Darius Leonard raises that bar.

Colts make Darius Leonard NFL's highest-paid ILB with five-year, $99.25 million deal

By Erin Walsh  |  Last updated 8/8/21
 

The Indianapolis Colts have made Darius Leonard the NFL's highest-paid inside linebacker with a five-year, $99.25 million deal, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. 

Leonard's new deal includes $52.5 million guaranteed and is scheduled to pay him $20 million per year over the first three years. 

Both those guys are outstanding...but neither of them are a patch on Smith in pass coverage and at the end of the day that is today's NFL...if I am Roquan's agent I am starting at $100 for 5 years and heading up the way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...