PFF's OL Grades

onejayhawk

What caught my attention was the #7 grade for the Chiefs' rebuilt OL. Bringing in two Pro Bowl grade players is never bad, but the OL may include two rookies and only one returning starter. That player, RG Laurant Duvernay-Tardif, started the Chiefs' first Super Bowl team. He just won an award for opting out of the 2020 season to treat COVID patients. 

#1 is the Cleveland Browns. This is where they graded last season and it's too bad Joe Thomas is not there to be part of it.

Detroit made the top 10.

What do you think of the rankings? Are they too influenced by last season, or not enough? 
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

PFF continues to be a only entity in the universe that has Damien Lewis at C. The team has REPEATEDLY said Lewis is kicking over to LG; Gabe Jackson at RG. 

Its comical how much they are quadrupling down on this idea. Its ... almost like they do no actual research into teams.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

2000 yard rusher and the 7th least amount of sacks given up last season on top of returning a pro bowl LT…. Ranked 15th…. What a joke

Both of those measurements are tied to bulk attempts. You guys were 30th in pass attempts and #2 in rush attempts. Its no wonder why you had great sack/rushing numbers.... 

Context matters homie. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

yea man, someone provides context to your #s and this is the response? Why do you not think theres 14 groups better?

Having Taylor Lewan out of the picture for those numbers probably has something to do with it. I think he’s what, PFF’s 6th rated tackle over the last five years?

That and a young RG that’s gotten better and better, and a highly rated rookie at RT should earn a couple spots higher, you would think.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Having Taylor Lewan out of the picture for those numbers probably has something to do with it. I think he’s what, PFF’s 6th rated tackle over the last five years?

That and a young RG that’s gotten better and better, and a highly rated rookie at RT should earn a couple spots higher, you would think.

Wasn’t Isaiah Wilson a “highly rated rookie at RT” this time last year?

edit: Wilson not Wynn 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Both of those measurements are tied to bulk attempts. You guys were 30th in pass attempts and #2 in rush attempts. Its no wonder why you had great sack/rushing numbers.... 

Context matters homie. 

Pointing out the rushing yards as a bulk number when they were also the #2 in ypa seems strange.

The pass blocking wasn't good enough though, especially after Lewan went down. With him back the left side should be back to good this season as he and Saffold form one of the top LT/LG duos in the league, but Nate Davis still has lapses in pass pro and who knows if Radunz will be an upgrade over the average at best(pass blocking wise) Kelly. Jones is steady at C.

15th feels weird to me given we have very good players at LT and LG, a good player at C, a slightly above average RG(who hopefully keeps improving..when he first took over in 2019 he was god awful. he's come a long way) and the only real question mark lies at RT, but I didn't watch nearly as much football outside of the Titans last year as I normally do, so maybe the state of o-line play around the league is just really high. I would have guessed more in the 8-10 range, but guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I have no answer to that. I retract any and all complaints solely on how big a screw up Wynn was.

I thought Wynn was supposed to have been good last year? As I just noted in my above post I didn't get to watch as much football as normal last year but I remember often reading good things about him on twitter and the like.

Unless y'all are mixing him and Isaiah Wilson up.

Which also wouldn't make any sense though cause I don't think he was all that highly regarded at any point considering most considered him a reach and a raw prospect.