PFF's OL Grades

onejayhawk

On 7/22/2021 at 1:24 AM, incognito_man said:

Was interested to see where in the top 3 they had GB

16th for GB...yikes

Same as last offseason: an iffy offensive line, the worst pass catching corps in the entire league (outside of one good WR), and a lacklustre backfield.

If Rodgers is back, it will be the 2nd last week in September before we are hearing how he is fortunate to be surrounded by a top 5 back, arguably the no.1 WR in the game, the best offensive line in football, and good weapons down the depth chart.

Fast forward to the day after GB's 2021 season ends and it will be right back to Rodgers not being given enough weapons, having to make due with awful pass catchers, and perhaps needing some offensive line upgrades. And then the shock heard round the world (apart from among GB fans) when they don't take a WR in the first round. 

It really is amazing just how lazy the coverage of GB in the last half decade or so has been. No wonder people expected McCarthy to be a success in Dallas while many GB fans were caught between scratching their heads and laughing their ***** off at that particular hiring.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:30 PM, Blackstar12 said:

I don't think there's 12 teams with worse OL than the Texans lol.

Eh... It's not the best OL, but it's serviceable. A lot of improvement should be found simply on James Campen instead of Mike Devlin, OL Coaching was an utter disaster if you really watched the OL play. Former NT Seth Payne and former QB Clint Stoerner watched a ton of Texans film last season, and neither could really decipher what the schemes were trying to accomplish. 

It's not good, it's incredibly overpaid in terms of assets (multiple FRPs and SRPs) but it's very possible it turns out to be a strength on a team lacking strength anywhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Lolwut

That was the narrative spun all offseason, about how gbhad screwed themselves and were not going to be able to get the most out of Rodgers unless they went and spent 10mn on AJ Green and a first round pass catcher to boot. 

Of course, anyone paying the vaguest bit of attention would have known that lazard and mvs while no superstars were really good system fits and proved as much. And that Aaron Jones was maybe the most underrated back in the league (at least prior to 2019)who had been criminally underutilized by Mike McCarthy. And that Jamaal Williams was a very solid, rounded backup option but that at least one of them would have to go and so ajdillon made sense as a pick in a team that likes to run it. 

Tonyan was a good surprise - I had just about given up on him - but while few of us imagined it going just as well as it did, it was clear that there was a system in place and the guys to fit into it. 

Basically what I am saying is all of GBs skill positions were underrated as hell going into last year, even Davante Adams who was largely seen as a fringe top 10 guy. When they stated producing, people were quick to forget how wrong they had been in their evaluation and you'd swear GB were highly touted on offense going into the year. And within weeks of the season ending, it had reverted back to "GB need a first round pass catcher because outside of Davante Adams they really have nothing there." Hence my comment about the 2nd last week in September. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Basically what I am saying is all of GBs skill positions were underrated as hell

Oh ok. I agree. 

I sort of disagree that narrative existed by itself, however. I think there are plenty of people who recognize Rodgers has an amazing supporting cast.

2 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

League's best LT Leagues Best LG Leagues Best C Average RG Above Average RT=16th? oof.

The Chiefs are #7 not #16, though Humphrey still has to prove it. ;)

I might give you best for Bakhtiari, but you are a long way from best at the other two "best" positions. Given that Corey Linsley left, the IOL uncertainty is likely why GB did not get their usual place in the top 10. By December, they should be thinking best in the division again, though don't sleep in Detroit. Decker, Ragnow, and Sewell are a good place to start.

The one that surprised me was #29 Miami. i did not expect the 'Phins to be good, but not that low. 

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

The Chiefs are #7 not #16, though Humphrey still has to prove it. ;)

I might give you best for Bakhtiari, but you are a long way from best at the other two "best" positions. Given that Corey Linsley left, the IOL uncertainty is likely why GB did not get their usual place in the top 10. By December, they should be thinking best in the division again, though don't sleep in Detroit. Decker, Ragnow, and Sewell are a good place to start.

The one that surprised me was #29 Miami. i did not expect the 'Phins to be good, but not that low. 

J

Elgton Jenkins is a monster at LG. If you haven't heard about him by now that's on you. Linsley is gone yes but I wouldn't have wanted any other center last year and Bakh is Bakh. That left side was as good as anyone's make no mistake about it.

14 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Elgton Jenkins is a monster at LG. If you haven't heard about him by now that's on you. Linsley is gone yes but I wouldn't have wanted any other center last year and Bakh is Bakh. That left side was as good as anyone's make no mistake about it.

Except for Cleveland, I'd agree with "as good as", but Wills/Bitonio/Tretter are clearly better. I am not sure GB is as good as Indy's Castonzo/Smith/Kelly even though Costonzo has had trouble staying on the field, but it's close enough to discuss. As noted earlier, the Chief's newly assembled Orlando Brown Jr/Joe Thuney/Creed Humphrey left-side is at least comparable to the Packers.

Bakhtiari is very good, but he's not Joe Thomas, which makes it fitting that Jedrick Wills might be the one passing him. Jenkins could be very good at LG, which is one reason why I think GB may have a top 10 OL this year. However, he is still unproven and C is ???? 

J

1 hour ago, Rodjahs12 said:

This isnt about  last year though, who is your center this year. And did you seriously just call Jenkins better than Nelson?