Texas / OU talking to SEC?

Texansfan713

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:
On 7/31/2021 at 1:55 AM, thrILL! said:

I wish the SEC would jettison all the dead weight and then invite all the blueblood programs plus a few schools that are current powerhouses like Clemson. Just make the ultimate conference and everybody else can have leftovers lol. 

I feel like we're moving to new alliances between the remaining four major conferences.  I'd imagine the Big 10 and Pac-12 will come to some sort of alliance in a few years, and the ACC will try and do the same with the SEC.

Between these 2 I'd almost prefer the former, even if it'd kill my program. 

The 500 kids/year who are good enough for the NFL that drive the blue bloods can get their own league with the money they deserve, while the rest of CFB can get out from under their shadow. That's the way this has been trending naturally already, and NIL may shake things up a little bit, but really the schools who have handled it best in the early going are the powerhouses, so probably not.

Go get USC/Oregon out of the PAC 12, Clemson/FSU/Miami out of the ACC, OSU/Michigan/PSU for 24, then invite ND and tell Vanderbilt you've got some furs for them out in the back (tbh the B1G would take them). That's pretty much all the money in CFB nationwide, so even if some of those programs are down now, with a super conference it probably doesn't last.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The 500 kids/year who are good enough for the NFL that drive the blue bloods can get their own league with the money they deserve, while the rest of CFB can get out from under their shadow. That's the way this has been trending naturally already, and NIL may shake things up a little bit, but really the schools who have handled it best in the early going are the powerhouses, so probably not.

Go get USC/Oregon out of the PAC 12, Clemson/FSU/Miami out of the ACC, OSU/Michigan/PSU for 24, then invite ND and tell Vanderbilt you've got some furs for them out in the back (tbh the B1G would take them). That's pretty much all the money in CFB nationwide, so even if some of those programs are down now, with a super conference it probably doesn't last.

IMO, the B1G has too much history to allow that to happen, and they’re just appropriately stubborn enough (and have a major tv deal with Fox/FS1 and partnership with that network) where they’d sooner capitalize by expanding a true East/West with the PAC, all while poaching premier academic institutions and capitalizing on an all encompassing national brand in every sport. They’d then just name it the “B1G Conference”. Just my thoughts.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

if the sec were kicking out a founding member for notre dame, wisconsin would definitely have a spot over south carolina, arky, and mizzou

I think we're all missing the trolling opportunities here:

2021: The Big XII reverses course, allows opposing players to use "horns down"

2022-2025: The SEC openly encourages opposing players to use "horns down", bans Texas players from using "hook 'em horns"

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

93% acceptance rate for a B1G school. What a joke. Well at least we have competition for the dumbest B1G school now besides Nebraska.

"Oh but they have an amazing basketball program" - they're knee deep in sanctions with a HC who's going down and the entire CBB environment is going to change radically over the next decade. Paying full price for a leftover "blue blood"  in a rapidly changing sport is stupid when you can't ever kick schools out is insane. 

What an awful, stupid *** decision.

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

they're knee deep in sanctions with a HC who's going down and the entire CBB environment is going to change radically over the next decade.

Ehhhh

Tattoo gate made Ohio State not look appealing either during that time. OSU’s team was also looked at as being “old school slow and couldn’t compete with SEC speed that was taking over.” Tressel got fired and we were about to get nailed with sanctions.

Blue bloods are blue bloods for a reason. Perfect example in basketball is UCLA. Everybody thought they were dead as a program, but dang near made it to the national championship game this year.

You’re right about the acceptance rate.

Edited by candyman93

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Blue bloods are blue bloods for a reason. Perfect example in basketball is UCLA. Everybody thought they were dead as a program, but dang near made it to the national championship game this year.

Kansas has nothing appealing to its basketball status except history. UCLA is in LA, with all of the marketing opportunities. Lawrence is the middle of nowhere, and there's going to be far less money there. Kansas also gets the leftover part of the Big 12 media deals, so it's not even like they have a ton of money coming in naturally. It's all going to be reliant on boosters or shoe company fraud. And one of those is going away.

Then you have the fact that they bring literally zero to the table from a football standpoint or an academic standpoint. Kansas as a state isn't ever gonna invest in education either, so there's no capacity for improvement there.

Just a complete waste. May as well let in a G-league basketball team.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:13 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

93% acceptance rate for a B1G school. What a joke. Well at least we have competition for the dumbest B1G school now besides Nebraska.

It's college sports. Who cares about academics? L-O-L.