Texas / OU talking to SEC?

Texansfan713

7 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

And? Probably a reason why neither I nor others have tried to tout ECU as relevent in well over a decade.

Meanwhile, with Houston... well, we know some folks run their mouth without backing it up.

cant be talking about me then. 

There are two factors that could result in Oklahoma State, rather than Texas, joining the SEC alongside OU.

1. Texas A&M does not want the Longhorns in the conference

2. Oklahoma politicians want to keep OU and OKST together, even if in a different conference from the Big 12.

It would be easier to keep OU-Texas running as a non-conference game than Bedlam, because OU-Texas is a huge part of the Texas State Fair festivities - and the fair's organizers will demand the game keep going, even if it means postponing other scheduled OOC games to future seasons (or in some cases, canceling them outright).

With the departure of the Oklahoma schools to the SEC, the Big 12 can become a superconference by adding 8 schools all at once, schools which have huge desires to be in the P5.

These schools could be Boise State, BYU, Houston, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple, and UCF.

Boise State has the chance to be the only P5 school with a non-green playing surface in football. And I'm pretty sure many in the SMU and TCU camps would want that game to be a conference rivalry again - which could lead to it being played on Black Friday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, the day after the traditional Thanksgiving game for the Cowboys.

8 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I wonder which conferences are going to pick up the scraps. I think a Texas school - not named Baylor, and Oklahoma St. would be good for the PAC-12

Big 10 would make some moves to get to 16 teams if SEC goes to 16. 

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

There are two factors that could result in Oklahoma State, rather than Texas, joining the SEC alongside OU.

1. Texas A&M does not want the Longhorns in the conference

2. Oklahoma politicians want to keep OU and OKST together, even if in a different conference from the Big 12.

It would be easier to keep OU-Texas running as a non-conference game than Bedlam, because OU-Texas is a huge part of the Texas State Fair festivities - and the fair's organizers will demand the game keep going, even if it means postponing other scheduled OOC games to future seasons (or in some cases, canceling them outright).

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

With the departure of the Oklahoma schools to the SEC, the Big 12 can become a superconference by adding 8 schools all at once, schools which have huge desires to be in the P5.

These schools could be Boise State, BYU, Houston, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple, and UCF.

Boise State has the chance to be the only P5 school with a non-green playing surface in football. And I'm pretty sure many in the SMU and TCU camps would want that game to be a conference rivalry again - which could lead to it being played on Black Friday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, the day after the traditional Thanksgiving game for the Cowboys.

I won't say this can't happen, but it almost definitely probably won't happen.

23 hours ago, romo2bryant said:

I wonder if this has a trickle effect on Notre Dame officially joining the ACC.

Always got a kick at the inevitable occurrence of a school in Northern Indiana joining the Atlantic Coast Conference.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Big 10 would make some moves to get to 16 teams if SEC goes to 16. 

Under past leadership I’d agree. Kevin Warren is captain of a rutterless ship though. He’s been behind the curve since taking over and I wouldn’t put it past him to continue dropping the ball. 

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I won't say this can't happen, but it almost definitely probably won't happen.

Agreed.  I think we'd see a watered down version of the Big 12 end up merging with another conference (possibly the AAC) to create a super team.  I could see the Big 10 sifting through the remains of the Big 12, but the only programs I could see interest them is Kansas and Iowa State.  And I'd assume that Kansas would stake their program alongside with Kansas State. 

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Under past leadership I’d agree. Kevin Warren is captain of a rutterless ship though. He’s been behind the curve since taking over and I wouldn’t put it past him to continue dropping the ball. 

He could start by correcting the name of the conference to match the number of universities in it lol. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  I think we'd see a watered down version of the Big 12 end up merging with another conference (possibly the AAC) to create a super team.  I could see the Big 10 sifting through the remains of the Big 12, but the only programs I could see interest them is Kansas and Iowa State.  And I'd assume that Kansas would stake their program alongside with Kansas State. 

It'd be a good Basketball pickup, but football? Eh. that'd be disappointing. OkSU not on the table due to academics... or geography?