Texas / OU talking to SEC?

Texansfan713

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  I think we'd see a watered down version of the Big 12 end up merging with another conference (possibly the AAC) to create a super team.  I could see the Big 10 sifting through the remains of the Big 12, but the only programs I could see interest them is Kansas and Iowa State.  And I'd assume that Kansas would stake their program alongside with Kansas State. 

I have to imagine the B1G would make a bigger play than taking the Big 12 scraps. Obviously the expense could be prohibitive, but I think they try and either raid the PAC-12 or agree to some sort of merger. They can’t let the SEC add to marquee programs and just add scraps in response. 

11 minutes ago, winitall said:

I have to imagine the B1G would make a bigger play than taking the Big 12 scraps. Obviously the expense could be prohibitive, but I think they try and either raid the PAC-12 or agree to some sort of merger. They can’t let the SEC add to marquee programs and just add scraps in response. 

If you try to make that move, then you go for a home run and try to add USC and Oregon and become a national conference.

23 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If you try to make that move, then you go for a home run and try to add USC and Oregon and become a national conference.

Yep. A true East/West conference, and you poach Baylor, Oklahoma State, a few of those PAC teams to incorporate basketball and football into the mix, hope it works out in baseball as well, and you become a national conference capitalizing on NIL.

• Like 1

Does Oklahoma not like making the playoffs or something? 😂

Anyways, realignment 2.0 incoming!

The Big12 is probably dying. 

If it were up to me:

OU/TX- SEC

Iowa St/OkSt- Big10

Kansas/KSt/TCU/TTech could be a bit screwed. Maybe the Pac12 or ACC come knocking, but they'd be geographical outcasts. I'd say the MW or AAC, but some of their teams could be poached soon anyway (looking at you Cincy). 

Or heck, maybe the Big12 tries to save face and extends that invite to Cincy and tries to convince BYU, Memphis, and maybe Houston or SMU to join? Honestly, without OU and Texas, the Big12 would need something like that to survive and not fall beneath the AAC anyway. 

Only clear thing is that they're losing the numbers and quality games bad at this point. 

11 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Let’s get this bread B1G

West Division: Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Iowa
East Division: Ohio St., Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, Illinois, Indiana

No love for Herm and ASU? lol

1 hour ago, winitall said:

The Big10 would only need to pad numbers to keep a relative pace though. Iowa St and Oklahoma St wouldn't necessarily be scraps. 

Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn St, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa St*, Ok St*, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, and Michigan State

matches up pretty evenly with

Alabama, OU, Texas, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Missouri, TAMU. 

Gotta remember, adding Texas and Oklahoma will come at the expense of someone. Naturally, someone is going to drop down a peg. 

The Big10 adding Iowa St might encroach a bit, but Ok St actually gets them a bigger recruiting foothold. Whichever teams might drop down a peg under the newcomers aren't likely to be consistent names- Indiana and Iowa or Minnesota maybe? 

I could be wrong, but I always felt the top of the Big10 was fairly on par with the SEC's most years, if not deeper. The SEC is catching up with the bame brands, but the Big10 already had enough of those to just need some good teams to round out the conference to keep pace. 

Of course, this requires the Big10 to go after those two teams in the first place, so I agree with you there.

6 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

As a Maryland fan/alum i hope WVU goes to B1G so that can become a big rivalry again. They’ll prolly go ACC though

yeah i think acc is a good fir for them. 

im going to LOL at baylor, and tech if they end up in the same conference as Houston. curious to see what the 2 Kansas schools do.  How is Iowa St's academics?  Would the BIG take them to pair with Iowa? 

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The Big10 would only need to pad numbers to keep a relative pace though. Iowa St and Oklahoma St wouldn't necessarily be scraps. 

Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn St, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa St*, Ok St*, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, and Michigan State

matches up pretty evenly with

Alabama, OU, Texas, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Missouri, TAMU. 

Gotta remember, adding Texas and Oklahoma will come at the expense of someone. Naturally, someone is going to drop down a peg. 

The Big10 adding Iowa St might encroach a bit, but Ok St actually gets them a bigger recruiting foothold. Whichever teams might drop down a peg under the newcomers aren't likely to be consistent names- Indiana and Iowa or Minnesota maybe? 

I could be wrong, but I always felt the top of the Big10 was fairly on par with the SEC's most years, if not deeper. The SEC is catching up with the bame brands, but the Big10 already had enough of those to just need some good teams to round out the conference to keep pace. 

Of course, this requires the Big10 to go after those two teams in the first place, so I agree with you there.

I think there’s a major disconnect in terms of which attributes we are talking about. You’re talking football ability, I’m talking about revenue generation. Adding Oklahoma and Texas, the SEC will have like 9 of the top 12 revenue generating programs. The B1G needs to add marque schools to combat that, and Iowa State and Ok State aren’t that. They aren’t making a dent in that regard. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

As a Maryland fan/alum i hope WVU goes to B1G so that can become a big rivalry again. They’ll prolly go ACC though

I wouldn't hate that.  I doubt the B1G would take us, though.  I would love the ACC.  That's where I wanted to go last reshuffling, but they didn't have interest.  Big XII has been miserable.  Not having rivals really sucks a lot of what makes college athletics special.  I hope one of them snatches WVU, regardless of what OU-Texas end up doing.  

19 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I wouldn't hate that.  I doubt the B1G would take us, though.  I would love the ACC.  That's where I wanted to go last reshuffling, but they didn't have interest.  Big XII has been miserable.  Not having rivals really sucks a lot of what makes college athletics special.  I hope one of them snatches WVU, regardless of what OU-Texas end up doing.  

as a Pitt fan I WANT WVU in the ACC. We need a real rival again. Cuse/VT/Miami don't really scratch that for me. WVU does

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1