WR Situation

Jdolphins18

We have one of the best and most well rounded Wide Reciever groups in the league. We have speed guys like Grant, Wilson, Waddle, and even Fuller. We have jump/red zone targets in Parker, Williams, and Fuller. Guys who can be used as gadget players as in Malcolm Perry, Wilson, Lynn Bowden Jr., Waddle, and Grant. Possession guys like Hurns, Parker, and Perry. Not to mention we just re signed Isaiah Ford and this isn’t even including the TE group that is deep with talent as well. Fuller will be out the first 4 games due to suspension will leave the starting lineup most likely looking something like Preston Williams, Parker, and Waddle, if Williams looks really good in those first 4 games and continues to shine in the couple weeks after and Fuller looks good when he comes back from suspension, does anyone else think there’s a chance Parker gets traded at the deadline for a mid round pick? It would clear up a good chunk of cap space and probably net a decent 3rd-5th round pick. I know Williams has had injury issues the last two years but if he can stay healthy and if Parker has a down year or gets hurt, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets traded at the deadline or after the season. I guess I’m just trying to think of scenarios that haven’t been considered much but that could become reality. I know it’s a long shot that Parker is the odd man out but with Williams being on a rookie contract for the next 2 years as well as Waddle, Bowden Jr. and Perry(the last two of which I would love to see get some playing time), I also feel like Williams can do everything that Parker can do and maybe even better. Parker was supposed to be the jump ball guy and he’s been ok at that but Williams is a lot better and is taller. There will most likely be a big change to the receiver group next offseason being that Wilson’s contract will be up I believe, Grant needs a break out season if he even makes it pass training camp and the preseason, and who knows if we re sign Fuller. Lmk what you guys think about the group, one things for sure we have so much talent at that position and it’s gonna be fun to watch how they use certain players for certain packages and plays.

Edited by Jdolphins18

My concern with WRs hasn't been talent (aside from Grant in the receiving game). It is availability. I don't think any WR on the roster has ever put a full season together. I agree if Parker is injured again I think they cut ties with him. There is a ton of potential there though.

Assuming we go with 6 Wrs I am hoping, Waddle, Fuller, Perry, Parker, Wilson (better hands than Grant), Bowden or Ford. With some the others getting a shot at the practice squad to be activated when/if needed. 

I really want to see what Tua can do with these weapons provided they are on the field. I don't care what the talking heads say, what stood out to me last year, watching every game, was accuracy. He was hesitant sure but I expect growth this year. Full training camp, all the first team reps, an improved Oline, I am optimistic. 

I don’t think Parker gets flipped but will probably be released at the end of this season. I think Grant, Wilson, and Williams are most likely to get traded.

If we’re running multiple TE sets a majority of the time, there’s no reason to be stacked at the WR position. Maybe we carry an extra (4) TEs and one less WR (5) this season. We signed TE/FB Cethan Carter to a decent deal before we even drafted along. Smythe might be released but he’s cheap. 

Edited by Tetsujin

9 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

My concern with WRs hasn't been talent (aside from Grant in the receiving game). It is availability. I don't think any WR on the roster has ever put a full season together. I agree if Parker is injured again I think they cut ties with him. There is a ton of potential there though.

Assuming we go with 6 Wrs I am hoping, Waddle, Fuller, Perry, Parker, Wilson (better hands than Grant), Bowden or Ford. With some the others getting a shot at the practice squad to be activated when/if needed. 

I really want to see what Tua can do with these weapons provided they are on the field. I don't care what the talking heads say, what stood out to me last year, watching every game, was accuracy. He was hesitant sure but I expect growth this year. Full training camp, all the first team reps, an improved Oline, I am optimistic. 

So you think Williams gets cut/traded before the season starts? I really think we should keep him, he has so much potential and with Fuller being out the first 4 games it would be good to keep a good jump ball/red zone target on the boundary. Also I can already see us releasing or stashing Williams on the PS and the patriots pick him up and he turns into a star.

Edited by Jdolphins18

9 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I don’t think Parker gets flipped but will probably be released at the end of this season. I think Grant, Wilson, and Williams are most likely to get traded.

If we’re running multiple TE sets a majority of the time, there’s no reason to be stacked at the WR position. Maybe we carry an extra (4) TEs and one less WR (5) this season. We signed TE/FB Cethan Carter to a decent deal before we even drafted along. Smythe might be released but he’s cheap. 

I would rather get rid of Wilson than Williams. Wilson has been injured and sat out all of last year due to COVID so he could be rusty and Waddle is basically gonna be out deep threat/over the middle guy who can also be used for reverses and other gadget plays, also we have Perry who can do just about everything Wilson can do. So that’s two player who can do everything Wilson can do but don’t have an injury history and both are cheaper.

1 hour ago, Jdolphins18 said:

I would rather get rid of Wilson than Williams. 

Williams has real trade value, IMO.(I want both traded if possible.)

He’s a bit mistake-prone and is unreliable, health-wise. I was excited for him after his rookie season but I think he should get flipped if we can get a 5th.

With all the multi-TE sets, how much PT is there for our WR4 and WR5. I’m excited for LBJ, though. He looks like he could be a stud with more development.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, Jdolphins18 said:

So you think Williams gets cut/traded before the season starts? I really think we should keep him, he has so much potential and with Fuller being out the first 4 games it would be good to keep a good jump ball/red zone target on the boundary. Also I can already see us releasing or stashing Williams on the PS and the patriots pick him up and he turns into a star.

Sorry mistyped Perry meaning Williams, I hope they give Williams another season.  

On 7/22/2021 at 10:03 AM, Phinsesq said:

My concern with WRs hasn't been talent (aside from Grant in the receiving game). It is availability. I don't think any WR on the roster has ever put a full season together.

That's exactly the issue, begin the season with talented WR's then end then season with practice squad guys starting at WR. Hope this trend stops. 

On 7/27/2021 at 12:36 PM, Tetsujin said:

Preston Williams is in midseason form- he’s injured. He’s now on the PUP list.

He is still recovering from the foot injury he suffered from last season.  Believe it or not, Bang for Buck, Williams has been a really productive player despite his availability issues.  I predict he stays on the roster for the season. 

• 4 weeks later...

Think they'll try to find a trade for Grant or Williams before the end of camp rather than losing them for nothing. Trading grant would save us a little over $4M in cap space

Waddle

Parker

Fuller

Wilson

Grant

Williams

Hollins

Perry (PS)

Merritt

McClain

Locksley

Trade Grant, cut McClain and Locksley and stash Perry on the PS imo. I think Merritt will be scooped up if he's placed on PS. I like what I've seen from him

37 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Grant is KR/PR not WR there's a difference and this guy can't leave. Don't need him running out routes, need him busting out 30-yard (or more) special teams returns. 

This coaching staff and management keep hammering they want versatile players, players who can play multiple roles on the team. If all Grant does is return kicks we shouldn't have given him the contract we did. He got that contract cause management hoped he could develop as an everyday receiver, which he has proven he can't be. We have suitable replacements for him as returners who are going to be much cheaper. Igbinoghene, Perry, Holland, Wilson all players who have returned kicks or we can get someone for less than $1M that can strictly return kicks. He is definitely not irreplaceable or untouchable and he would probably give us a better return than Preston Williams if we were to trade them.

BTW Grant averaged 21.5 yds/kickoff return and 11.4 yds/punt return which ranked 35th for kick returners (with 6 or more returns) and 7th for punt returners (with 10 or more returns). Two kickoff returns of 20+ yds and three punt returns of 20+ yds. He's replaceable.

Grant mostly returned punts last year on ST so here's how much the best punt returners were paid last year:

Gunner Oszlewski - $675,000 - 17.3yds/punt

Diontae Spencer - $675,000 - 15.8yds/punt

Jamal Agnew - $825,000 - 12.7yds/punt

His cap hit is only going to increase in the next three years. With how much talent we have at WR we can definitely afford to cut bait now. To me when its all said and done it'll come down to moving out either him or Williams. I still see some potential in Williams, we know what Grant is by now.

Grant restructures his deal, saves us some $$ this year and voids his last two years. We probably shopped him but there weren't any takers so it was either he restructured or was going to be cut. 

Hopefully Merritt doesn't get scooped up. Feel like he could be the first one to be recalled from PS if he makes it there. We have a fragile WR corps so injury early is pretty much a given