Red Zone woes

titans0021

Now that we're at the bye week, it gives us some time to reflect on the team. And when reflecting on the team, the first thing I think about is the drastic downward trend of our red zone offense from last year to this year.

Where are we going wrong?

Does the blame fall on the players, Robiskie, even split?

How can it be fixed?

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I will say that I have some hope that the return of Corey Davis might allow us to spread things out more.

I'm hoping so, as well. That said, given our love for doing the oppposite of what makes sense, I wouldn't be surprised if Corey isn't a focal point of many gameplans because of "match ups" or some excuse like that.

carson wentz threw as many touchdown passes last night as mariota has this season lol

there is no way you can convince me our offensive coaching isn't squandering all of our talent. and i don't see any reason to believe it'll get fixed.

Its definitely a combo of a few factors. There's some play call/design issues (Delanie end around, etc)... There's some lack of execution (Mariota missing guys, Henry not being able to punch it from the 1 with no defensive penetration, etc)... But I think the biggest factor have been the injuries.

People are downplaying that a bit but when you're missing your top 5 pick most of the season thus far, when your top back has been hobbled by a hammy all year, when your all-world TE is dealing with various injuries, and when your QB, the catalyst of it all, is severely limited for more than half the games played so far... There's going to be problems executing... Especially in the condensed red zone. 

We have the same coaches, have seemingly improved the weapons... I'm extremely confident that once all those pieces are back to full strength (or close... And especially Mariota), our red zone O will rebound.

I blame mostly the play calling. Most of the play calls are just obvious calls. Mularkey was really good at coming up with the late TE releases we use to run with Stevens and Fasano we havnt seen any of those. Decker has a big frame and his few targets in the red zone are back of the end zone shots. Mon and last week we kept trying to force it to Delanie in the back of the end zone and I’m not talking about the goal line pass to Delanie that’s on Mariota for not completing that play. We just have no creativity and we are limiting the plays to the back of the end zone there’s a whole 10 yards their. I pointed out the Titans have been running that quick pitch play on their own end of the field to get yards and Sunday Night the Pats ran it in the red zone and scored. Now if the Titans attempt it in the red zone now it probably doesn’t work but now you should be atleast running fakes with it down there. I just feel like they are calling the plays scared. They call the TE end arounds no problem 3 times a game but certain plays that worked last year we don’t even see again I’m not saying call them every week but you should be able to go back to certain plays and try them again. 

With all that said though the players deserve some blame as well. Mariotas decision making hasn’t been the best I feel like some of the guys he’s attempting to throw to are never open and in the red zone it’s been mostly targets to Walker and Decker which are the 2 players teams are watching out for. Jonnu Smith is able to create mismatches and we don’t target him any where near the red zone the closest was the TD he scored vs Seattle. Matthews last year was reliable in the red zone he had a spectacular catch vs Miami and a real nice TD on a curl route vs Cle last year but he hasn’t been targeted in the red zone too much. Mariota had a TD run vs Seattle in the Red Zone and Decker was called for holding so I understand the players are at fault too but I just think the play calling could be better

It is definitely a combination of issues. Some of the play calls have been real head scratchers but when the right play gets called, like it did against Cleveland this week, and Mariota or the other players just flat out fail to execute it correctly. I think @ragevsuall17nailed it with injuries being the biggest culprit so far. The injuries have had us using packages and players we may not always use in those situations, and the execution hasn't been there with those players. There isn't just one solution to this problem, it's going to take the coaches to maybe get a little more creative but the players have to execute better, plain and simple.

I've resigned myself to the fact we won't be making any coaching changes until the end of the season. Then I could see Mularkey trying to save his job by bringing in new blood for the position of OC. 

Right now, between injuries to our QB, RB, WRs, and questionable playcalling, it's hard to get a grasp on what we actually are or aren't. 

57 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I've resigned myself to the fact we won't be making any coaching changes until the end of the season. Then I could see Mularkey trying to save his job by bringing in new blood for the position of OC. 

Right now, between injuries to our QB, RB, WRs, and questionable playcalling, it's hard to get a grasp on what we actually are or aren't. 

I wouldn't hold my breath... Going to be hard to attract any real talent to a lame duck coaching staff... (That could be true of FAs as well, tbh).

Michaels promoting from QB coach is about the only change I expect, and even that's no guaantee. Its going to be all or nothing this coming offseason/season.

35 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath... Going to be hard to attract any real talent to a lame duck coaching staff... (That could be true of FAs as well, tbh).

Michaels promoting from QB coach is about the only change I expect, and even that's no guaantee. Its going to be all or nothing this coming offseason/season.

Bring in Chip Kelly as the OC and HC-in-waiting! The Madden fans would love it. 

44 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Bring in Chip Kelly as the OC and HC-in-waiting! The Madden fans would love it. 

I can honestly say, I wouldn't hate that. As long as he has no control of what players we bring in, he might be a dope play caller.

Our running game is bad this year. The stats may indicate it's good because of a few plays in the second half of a couple games, but 80% of the time we are not running the ball effectively. Play action isn't working as well, we're seeing 3rd and longer in the red zone, and Mariota hasn't been as good as he has in the past. 

Posted elsewhere, but feel like it fits in here.

I do wonder about just how much this hurts us, particularly in the red zone. You're basically in an area of the field where everything is all bunched up and actively condensing it even more with the formations. I know it's something we've done in the past, but I feel like we're spreading things out in the red zone far less than last year.

Archived