2021 NFL Covid Rules

incognito_man

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

COVID has significantly more bad side effects than the vaccine. It's not "the common cold" and the NFL knows it. Hence why they're cracking down so we can watch football.

And the vaccine is not for healthy able bodied people to prevent getting it. It's for the 20-25% of people who for whatever reason *cannot* get vaccinated whether thats long term issues or being immunocompromised, so that they are safe and protected. But I guess nobody cares about the common good of the world around them anymore since we are all suffering from terminal main character disease.

But yes, point blank if everybody who can get one, gets one, and in turn makes COVID far less dangerous and likely to spread if caught, and the NFL wants this to happen because they don't want another lockdown (which will happen if we don't get rates up) because it's bad for business.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

As someone who got the vaccine, I think its wrong to belittle people's personal beliefs, even if those beliefs are based on nothing more than faith.

My hope is that players, regardless if vaccinated or not, practice good hygiene so that they don't get sick and risk their football careers.

Half the league had major outbreaks last year.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You realize myocarditis is easily treatable right? And the myocarditis risk is extremely low. Around 1000 cases in over a hundred million people who have taken it. 1000/162 million is .00006%. That's about double the risk of being eaten by a shark in your lifetime.

No one is forcing vaccination, only enforcing consequences for not taking it.

Myocarditis is easily treated unless it causes a life threatening arrhythmia. Myocarditis is uncommon after both the vaccine and COVID. When you say you either have to get vaccinated or lose your job and millions of dollars...you ARE forcing vaccination.

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

Myocarditis is easily treated unless it causes a life threatening arrhythmia. Myocarditis is uncommon after both the vaccine and COVID. When you say you either have to get vaccinated or lose your job and millions of dollars...you ARE forcing vaccination.

Yes this is called social conditioning and the social contract, this is how society functions.

25 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I love how there's now a throng of people who definitely know what Myocarditis is that just happened to appear from nowhere the minute their latest culture war issue of "vaccines bad" pointed to the obvious fact that stuff has side effects and that doesn't mean it's not broadly safe and fit for human use.

You're 10000x more likely to die or suffer grievous life altering injuries from driving a car, something I'm sure most of you do every single day, than getting 1-2 shots once a year for a few years.

Anyway, if there are strident hardliners who refuse it that's fine, you won't get cut, you can opt out of the season and just not get paid. You signed the CBA, you agreed to these stipulations in the bargaining agreement, don't be mad NOW because you signed it last year in the middle of a raging pandemic and couldn't see this coming.

The risk of dying from a car accident is also infinitely more likely than dying from COVID as an NFL player. 

The risk of death in an average 20-29 year old after getting COVID while unvaccinated is somewhere around 10/100,000 (or 0.01%). And that's for an average individual...in a country filled with obese people. The probability of someone dying in the NFL is a small fraction of that percentage. Meanwhile the risk of dying from COVID for someone who IS vaccinated something like 0.5/100,000 (0.0005%). Almost impossibly low. But also realize that this assume that someone has had COVID...and only a small percentage of NFL players will get COVID during the year...probably something along the lines of 1-3% of players. The likelihood of any NFL player dying from COVID with or without COVID this year is IMPOSSIBLY small. So when you are dealing with odds that poor, I do think that patients should have some level of autonomy. 

Edited by sammymvpknight

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The risk of dying from a car accident is also infinitely more likely than dying from COVID as an NFL player. 

The risk of death in an average 20-29 year old after getting COVID while unvaccinated is somewhere around 10/100,000 (or 0.01%). And that's for an average individual...in a country filled with obese people. The probability of someone dying in the NFL is a small fraction of that percentage. Meanwhile the risk of dying from COVID for someone who IS vaccinated something like 0.5/100,000 (0.0005%). Almost impossibly low. But also realize that this assume that someone has had COVID...and only a small percentage of NFL players will get COVID during the year...probably something along the lines of 1-3% of players. The likelihood of any NFL player dying from COVID with or without COVID this year is IMPOSSIBLY small. So when you are dealing with odds that poor, I do think that patients should have some level of autonomy. 

They have full autonomy. They can choose to be selfish and risk the consequences in or out of the NFL. No one is forcing a vaccine. However, the league is implementing potential consequences for the choice. The choice is still their's to make!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

No one is saying if you don’t get you lose your job that’s to simplistic of a few on the other end of the argument. Proof of that… If Pat Mahomes says “nah” to the vaccine the Chiefs aren’t cutting him in any scenario. But all places of work have the right to weight the value you being against the liability you are to that business whether it be a busboy or CEO they can and should cut you if your liability out weights your value. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

They have full autonomy. They can choose to be selfish and risk the consequences in or out of the NFL. No one is forcing a vaccine. However, the league is implementing potential consequences for the choice. The choice is still their's to make!

When an employee says for someone to put something into their body that is very unlikely to help them...or they lose millions and potentially their job...that's unethical. The vaccine is NOT a benign intervention. I'm 100% in support of people getting vaccinated, it is very likely more likely to help than harm for most people...but this is a huge patient autonomy concern. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Nobody is being forced, they have autonomy, they can literally opt out and face 0 consequences other than not getting paid for this year. And if they don't get it, and then a viral spread happens in the locker room which literally happened in almost every single locker room in the sport last year, they risk losing those games and a ton of money and missing the playoffs. They're being incentivized, that's the social contract, that's how society works. 

And also, flatly, the vaccine is not *for* healthy young people who aren't as likely to face adverse effects, its so those healthy young people who could contract and incubate it have a much lower rate of infectious spread and so, as I said above, people who cannot get the shot because they're immunocompromised or at risk, aren't also at risk of contracting it through their daily lives through unvaccinated individuals being incubators and spreaders, which we saw happen all last year and continue to see happen.

• Like 4

Just now, sammymvpknight said:

When an employee says for someone to put something into their body that is very unlikely to help them...or they lose millions and potentially their job...that's unethical. The vaccine is NOT a benign intervention. I'm 100% in support of people getting vaccinated, it is very likely more likely to help than harm for most people...but this is a huge patient autonomy concern. 

You know places require you to have your TDaP before being employed or starting your education right? I had to get boosters when I joined the Marines.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

As someone who got the vaccine, I think its wrong to belittle people's personal beliefs, even if those beliefs are based on nothing more than faith.

My hope is that players, regardless if vaccinated or not, practice good hygiene so that they don't get sick and risk their football careers.

I can't quantify faith.

We can, however, quantify the risk factors with and without the vaccine.

It boggles my mind how belittled math and science is in the 21st century.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Nobody is being forced, they have autonomy, they can literally opt out and face 0 consequences other than not getting paid for this year. And if they don't get it, and then a viral spread happens in the locker room which literally happened in almost every single locker room in the sport last year, they risk losing those games and a ton of money and missing the playoffs. They're being incentivized, that's the social contract, that's how society works. 

And also, flatly, the vaccine is not *for* healthy young people who aren't as likely to face adverse effects, its so those healthy young people who could contract and incubate it have a much lower rate of infectious spread and so, as I said above, people who cannot get the shot because they're immunocompromised or at risk, aren't also at risk of contracting it through their daily lives through unvaccinated individuals being incubators and spreaders, which we saw happen all last year and continue to see happen.

It's also not unheard of for businesses to mandate an employee take or do something. Be it taking a vaccine, abstaining from certain substances, etc., etc. 

When I worked in health care, we had to take the flu vaccine every year. It wasn't so much to help us, but our immunocompromised patients. 

• Like 2

Just now, twslhs20 said:

I can't quantify faith.

We can, however, quantify the risk factors with and without the vaccine.

It boggles my mind how belittled math and science is in the 21st century.

Well, when you value education less than other areas of our society...it shows.

• Like 2