Brett on Brett (NO Hundley Breakdown)

skibrett15

Following is all the Hundley plays from NO game with my notes below.  Here's all of them on IMGUR if you want: https://imgur.com/gallery/6GAzl

Hundley's first pass, PA rollout, 1st - 10 incomplete:

B6Zbt2K.gif

Good coverage, nothing to do.

Hundley takes a shot on a 3rd-7 free play... incomplete, then Jones finishes the drive off himself with 2 more runs.

2nd Drive, 1st-10 Jones runs 6 yards, Zone Read play with Cobb end around action. 

8BpHtH7.gif

Good read on the DE here to hand it off.  Cobb stresses 53 and 40 enough to make a nice lane for Jones.

To be honest, I'm not sure why cobb and Jones would be headed in the same direction on this play design.  If jones lines up to the right of Hundley, he hands off to Jones running left against the grain of Cobb.  Then if he keeps it, he has Cobb as a pitch option.  Not in this case with Jones lined up left, who starts right and cuts back (wisely) left in to the big space.

3rd -1 Adams drop (lattimore closing hard).

a8VbeyN.gif

To me, this is a tough catch in traffic and a bit of a hospital ball.  Still need to make the catch and fight for a 1st down.  This was a huge killer.  Hundley does a token fake which slows this down a bit, but Adams needs to come up with this ball.

Next possession: 2nd and 5 Montgomery on the zone read:

Z6aHJJ2.gif

This is the wrong read, Hundley has about 15 yards of open space if he pulls it and Marty is gonna wall off the safety.  This could have been a 50 yard run for hundley with a half decent block from Jordy.

1st-10 9 yard completion to Montgomery:

Qzb79X2.gif

Easy read from empty, DB is playing off in cover 3 look.  He has same look to Adams on bottom.  Good play.

Next play, Jones' most impressive run, gain of 5.  

83vdkiL.gif

This is a Hundley thread but I couldn't resist.  Jones makes 4 dudes look awful on this play, has no blocking, still picks up the first down plus extra.  Breaks 20's leg, heart, and soul on the play.

1-10 incomplete to Jordy on PA

PtoReQb.gif

Jordy is open, Hundley hesitates and then Lattimore comes out of absolutely nowhere (started covering adams but passes him off and makes incredible read on play) to almost intercept.  Decent "catchable" ball if not for Lattimore.  If he turns it loose on time this is a TD with a good throw.

Next play, 2-10 cobb 14 yards:

vflu5t7.gif

This is the one dimension that Monty brings that Jones doesn't have yet.  A vertical route out of backfield.  This is straight plagiarism of Kareem Hunt vs NE in week 1.  Throw goes to Cobb but Monty is open for a 30 yard gain too since Marty draws about 3 guys here while getting in the way of guys who are supposed to follow cobb.  Looks like Hundley is reading Klein here, who is not really in position to cover monty... but since he's not at all covering cobb the throw is designed for Cobb.

Next play, 1st-10 Marty 12 yards

jGR3JwR.gif

Good pitch and catch, good ball location for a safe throw, nice job by marty to seal off the defender.  Easy buckets.

3-4 Hundley scramble TD

ocO3vvw.gif

You've seen this plenty.  Good pick up by Jones.

1-10 inc to Nelson

HNoxLy6.gif

Throw is there, timing is way off.

3-3 Hundley scramble 22 yards

5xrMwGX.gif

Call here is a flat pass/screen to cobb, but Hundley moves off that read.  Adams is isolated and gets a brief look before he pulls it down and makes a play.

1-15 Inc Jones

EfHev3T.gif

Failed Screen.  If he held it a bit longer it actually was there, but Jones looks like he's gonna be tackled and there's a LOT of traffic so hundley throws it in the dirt.

2 plays later, 3-14 incomplete:

JdYv9fb.gif

Max protect, 3 man route (really 2 man because he rolls right immediately) and it just isn't there vs a 4 man rush.  This is Rodgers play, not a Hundley play IMO. Requires good chemistry with those receivers heading toward sideline, and a perfect crisp throw.  Rather try to pop a run than do this on 3rd and 14.

1-10, jones for 2 yards:

rLEkqqX.gif

Flat screen.  Marty's guy blitzes and that's the only place this play beats that defensive call.  But Saints get frisky with their TOs!

2-8 Jones 4 yard reception

pdPjpW2.gif

Marty frees up between LBs and it's good protection, but Hundley isn't willing to pull the trigger to Marty (good), Cobb (better), or Jordy (best) in front of their safeties or between the LBs.  They are all open but he comes off Jordy to look at Adams (not the look vs this defense) and when he comes back to the left it's way too late.  Those 3 routes work together to beat this coverage, and Hundley just doesn't get that on this play.  It's still a positive gain to Jones, but that's squandered pass protection IMO.

3-4 Allison 14 yards

AEmZp3Q.gif

Perfect execution and playcall vs this coverage, kind of the opposite of the last play. Hundley knows where to go and waits on the opening.  LBs have no chance covering both crossers and the seas part for Allison who makes the right read along with Hundley to sit down in the middle.  Good throw from muddied pocket.  Now CALL TIMEOUT.

1-10 DPI on Bennett 25 yards

zGcr5Iy.gif

Good pickup by Jones (weird line call in this situation, 52 really confuses Bak and Linsley)  Decent throw to tall receiver whose defender's back is turned.  Lucky to get that call IMO.

1-20 following RRodgers OPI, incomplete, thrown away and/or misses Jones high.

aCex31O.gif

Strange playcall of 4 verticals when we need some buffer for a better FG oppty and have a timeout left.  Saints are not expecting that, but Hundley gets skittish and comes off the middle of the field reads to Cobb.

2nd half

2-6 Nelson 13 yards:

n0XdIhd.gif

Scramble drill play, good first instinct to step up (and nice RT skills by RIP),  good extension of play when the middle pressure comes, and good throw to nelson.

.1-10 Fumble

7jt6rzH.gif

Bak loses on an inside move but seems to be expecting help from McCray who just punishes the DT instead of playing smart fooball, hundley in process of stepping up... pressure is too soon to react to, but at least mccray is doing so little he can find the fumble..

2-18 incomplete to cobb

C0LiYc7.gif

This is a very risky throw.  Hundley overconfident here after escaping the pocket.

3-18 Adams 8 yards

iOE2jeZ.gif

Very VERY interesting play.  Basically 2 screens called.  Marty, Allison and Jordy are all looking to block expecting the ball to come out.  Adams crosses field quickly which should and does draw people away from the RB screen to the right.  This was a big play if Hundley goes to Jones with a wall of blockers in front of him.  Looked like it was a preset read though.

2-8 Hundley rush 8 yards on Zone Read:

QPtoEzB.gif

Hundley reads it ok here.  LB disrupts play slightly  and adjusts quickly but Brett is fast enough to elude and outrun him to sideline.  Rodgers is faster than DEs, but Hundley is faster than LBs.

2-9 Cobb 1 yard reception:

voj2wZf.gif

Cobb in offset I form, against a very light box.  What is the point of this modified run swing thingy?  Why not just have rip lead block and run the freaking ball. 6 blockers and 6 in the box!!!!  This is my least favorite play design by far.

Following a penalty, 1-10, incomplete (thrown away)

c2x4wKt.gif

They turn Kendricks loose on this one, but Hundley doesn't pull the trigger.  This is a huge non-throw and mistake by Hundley, and a play that needs to be made. The play design worked, Kendricks is obviously the first read on the rollout, followed by Monty.  Hundley isn't running the offense here.

3rd-10 Incomplete to Adams

KbSbsr1.gif

Prayer shot to adams, but the throw is out of bounds.  Safe throw, but a little too safe.  Packers do take lead on FG.

3-9 Marty 5 yards

93FbmlA.gif

Not much Hundley can do with this down and distance and predictable throwing situation backed up in his own 11 yard line.  Throw is against a 6 man blitz at the last possible second.  Good Defense. 

If you notice the trend here it's that Hundley succeeded on 1st and 2nd and medium, and once on 3rd and short.  Mac didn't set him up to succeed very well in that regard.  Too many 1st down runs in 2nd half once NO made adjustment to more run defense and single high safety.

Final desperation drive:

1-10 Adams 4 yards

aU2uMEa.gif

Saints are no longer respecting the outside sideline routes, going cover 3 and trying to clog the middle.

2-6 incomplete to Jordy (tipped)

OfJFogh.gif

He's open with room in front for about 10 yards.  A what-if type moment.  Not that we're winning the game down 2 scores without a miracle, but Hundley looks a lot better if this is completed and it's a longer drive.

3-6 Game ending INT:

pHrOK8h.gif

Not a chance.

Reflection of McCarthy if you ask me.  He had a week to prepare him and make a gameplan suited towards him and he had ONE creative play that actually seemed to work (the pass to Cobb).  For being so highly touted as a QB guru and an offensive genius, McCarthy really didn't do too well with Hundley SO FAR.  Maybe Flynn was a better backup (with serious limitations granted) than we thought. 

Nice write up and thanks for pulling this all together

From the failed pass to Devante Adams on 3rd and 1:

"To me, this is a tough catch in traffic and a bit of a hospital ball.  Still need to make the catch and fight for a 1st down.  This was a huge killer.  Hundley does a token fake which slows this down a bit, but Adams needs to come up with this ball. "

When you watch the play, you can see its a run /pass option. Watch Bulaga and others fire off the ball in run blocking. Its a poor decision by Hundley and a lousy pass too. Its also great defense by Lattimore. But that should have been a handoff, not a pass.

From the 2nd and 5 zone read:

"This is the wrong read, Hundley has about 15 yards of open space if he pulls it and Marty is gonna wall off the safety.  This could have been a 50 yard run for hundley with a half decent block from Jordy. "

While its true that there is a large opening, many question the wisdom of running your back-up QB so early in the game. **** happens.

Seattle waits until Q4 before they let Wilson keep the ball - after the defense is tired and you have some film of the how they are playing it. With Rodgers out and Callahan the only option on the bench, I can't ding the Packers or Hundley for not going with the keeper here. Situational football

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"To me, this is a tough catch in traffic and a bit of a hospital ball.  Still need to make the catch and fight for a 1st down.  This was a huge killer.  Hundley does a token fake which slows this down a bit, but Adams needs to come up with this ball. "

When you watch the play, you can see its a run /pass option. Watch Bulaga and others fire off the ball in run blocking. Its a poor decision by Hundley and a lousy pass too. Its also great defense by Lattimore. But that should have been a handoff, not a pass.

"This is the wrong read, Hundley has about 15 yards of open space if he pulls it and Marty is gonna wall off the safety.  This could have been a 50 yard run for hundley with a half decent block from Jordy. "

While its true that there is a large opening, many question the wisdom of running your back-up QB so early in the game. **** happens.

Seattle waits until Q4 before they let Wilson keep the ball - after the defense is tired and you have some film of the how they are playing it. With Rodgers out and Callahan the only option on the bench, I can't ding the Packers or Hundley for not going with the keeper here. Situational football

With A. Jones running so well and a mobile QB I'm surprised Mac decided to try a pass on that failed pass on 3rd and a foot to Adams.

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Thanks, appreciate it.

Good call, it is a RPO.  I also think it's the correct read given where Lattimore lines up, the play called, etc.  Adams needs to simply catch it and fall forward and it's a 1st down.  Look at the run... that play was getting STUFFED by 8 in the box.  I think the throw is fine, but it's a bit late.  I mean, it hits Adams between the numbers in the hands... and he should be expecting the ball.  Either he isn't, or he's skittish and feels the footsteps.  Either way... this play is our "#1 receiver" Davante Adams' to make, and he didn't make it.  Hundley could have helped a bit, but this is still on Adams for me.

I don't think there is any restriction on Hundley running the ball in this game.  I don't think he is supposed to take a lot of contact, but I don't think we should be limiting his best ability as an offensive football player.  Watching Hundley consistently outrun LBs in this game is very encouraging.  I'm not that worried about Hundley getting injured going forward since he's not much better than replacement level.  Right now he needs to use his entire skill set to move the ball, and this is the wrong read.  Based on his body language, I think Hundley knows it.  Again, I think this was probably a 30 yard run, and quite possibly a 50 yard or longer run for Hundley based on Bennett and ordy accounting for the closest defenders quite easily..

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm not that worried about Hundley getting injured going forward since he's not much better than replacement level. 

But we haven't got a replacement level QB available - you're risking the entire season by putting him in harms way. Its tough to play that way, but sometimes its prudent. I agree that the run is definitely there and that its one of Hundley's better skills, but I also appreciate the risk/reward equation is tilted toward risk avoidance at this exact moment in time.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Reflection of McCarthy if you ask me.  He had a week to prepare him and make a gameplan suited towards him and he had ONE creative play that actually seemed to work (the pass to Cobb).  For being so highly touted as a QB guru and an offensive genius, McCarthy really didn't do too well with Hundley SO FAR.  Maybe Flynn was a better backup (with serious limitations granted) than we thought. 

Reflection of McCarthy?  He put him in position to succeed,  he's had three years in the system to understand the reads, he looked like a deer in headlights at times.  There were open receivers and he didn't see them or get the ball out on time.  That is more inexperience than preparation.  I put it on Aaron Rodgers for getting injured.  About as valid as blaming McCarthy for Hundley's happy feet?  

I say it is too early to declare Hundley is crap.  Even tho he's been with us for 3 years practice and preseason isn't the same as regular season action.  I suspect the game is still too fast for him.  During his first couple of seasons when Rodgers had to go in he didn't look all that wonderful either.  Brett will get better with time.   Did anybody here really think he was going to look like a seasoned pro last Sunday?

On 10/24/2017 at 1:19 AM, skibrett15 said:

1-10 inc to Nelson

The correct read on that one was to Martellus Bennett.  You'll notice that as soon as he gets to the top of his route, he'll get a step on I believe Klein and that should be one where you lead him a little and it's a relatively uncontested catch.  If you look at Hundley's helmet, it appears glued to Jordy from the get-go.  This one frustrated me.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:32 PM, eyecatcher said:

Reflection of McCarthy?  He put him in position to succeed,  he's had three years in the system to understand the reads, he looked like a deer in headlights at times.  There were open receivers and he didn't see them or get the ball out on time.  That is more inexperience than preparation.  I put it on Aaron Rodgers for getting injured.  About as valid as blaming McCarthy for Hundley's happy feet?  

Where are these open receivers? The game plan sucked, the receivers didn't get open and the line wasnt great. It was a total failure from coaches down through players.

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Where are these open receivers? The game plan sucked, the receivers didn't get open and the line wasnt great. It was a total failure from coaches down through players.

The 2nd half was certainly a failure, but the Packers scored on their opening drive and held a 14-7 lead at half time.

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I saw a few open receivers missed such as Jordy on the back shoulder (good separation) and Kendricks on the play action boot (30+ yard gain).

I also saw a few guys open on the dump down to Jones for 4 yards.

Still, with only 25 passing attempts plus scrambles (and those were nice individual plays by Hundley) there wasn't a ton of opportunity, and some of that is on the defense

Archived