The "2020" Summer Olympic Games

THE DUKE

5 hours ago, mse326 said:

Maybe Adam Peatty too

Dude has totally redefined how to use your upper body in breast. This is Phelps forcing all of swimming to step their underwaters up - in 5 years everyone is going to be swimming the high tempo, upper body, short kick style. 

Hopefully that means more overlap between ideal body type for breast versus the other 3.

18 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

3x3 is fun. kelsey plum is hooping 

3x3 BBall is more entertaining that anything i've seen from the NBA in years.  The NBA also needs to be called like the international game is being called.  So much more contact is allowed and not so many cheap fouls and players acting to get foul calls.

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel about Biles taking herself out. I think mental health does need to be talked about more and treated more seriously. I think it needs to be treated like any physical injury. And some times that means you can play while treating it, and other times it means taking off to heal. Only she knows so I can't really criticize her decision and I do hope she is ok. And there certainly is a ton of focus and pressure on her. But if you are going to put a goat on your leotard and do a ton of commercials there is a bad taste in bowing out of olympic team finals because of what the pressure is doing to her mental health.

• Like 1

i dont mind it at all, she wants to sweep all the individual medals, cant risk an injury in a team competition before all those. Thats why most top pro tennis players dont play doubles. Most athletes pick and choose their spots.

Edited by ifeelasleep

9 hours ago, mse326 said:

Not sure how I feel about Biles taking herself out. I think mental health does need to be talked about more and treated more seriously. I think it needs to be treated like any physical injury. And some times that means you can play while treating it, and other times it means taking off to heal. Only she knows so I can't really criticize her decision and I do hope she is ok. And there certainly is a ton of focus and pressure on her. But if you are going to put a goat on your leotard and do a ton of commercials there is a bad taste in bowing out of olympic team finals because of what the pressure is doing to her mental health.

That is where the dissonance comes in for me. If you're going to talk ****, you best be ready to back it up.  Obviously I want her to be ok, but having that mental toughness is also part of competition.  I'm not mad or anything, but it's noteworthy and a legitimate topic of discussion in my opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

That is where the dissonance comes in for me. If you're going to talk ****, you best be ready to back it up.  Obviously I want her to be ok, but having that mental toughness is also part of competition.  I'm not mad or anything, but it's noteworthy and a legitimate topic of discussion in my opinion.

This isn't a "mental toughness" thing that's of the norm and I don't get what's so hard for people to understand about this. You need to be all the way in when you do what she does because even being off a little in your head can cause serious serious injury. That floor is unforgiving and that momentum hitting the ground can seriously hurt your body.

32 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

This isn't a "mental toughness" thing that's of the norm and I don't get what's so hard for people to understand about this. You need to be all the way in when you do what she does because even being off a little in your head can cause serious serious injury. That floor is unforgiving and that momentum hitting the ground can seriously hurt your body.

How is this less true for any of the other athletes competing?

1 minute ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Look at the height, momentum, and rotation on her jumps, now add a hard wood floor and I think you'll know the answer.

And every athlete she competes against in her events are jumping on pillows?

27 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

And every athlete she competes against in her events are jumping on pillows?

If any athlete she was competing again had the same concerns I would tell them to do the same thing as Biles so I don't know what you're getting at here?

14 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

If any athlete she was competing again had the same concerns I would tell them to do the same thing as Biles so I don't know what you're getting at here?

I'm trying to get at how this isn't to do with mental toughness.