Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

1 minute ago, Reaper said:

I’m just curious which of those decisions were wrong? It seems to me that every one of those guys had one good year then dropped off sharply. Cobb’s year in Houston might be a slight outlier based on the teams overall play but really the other guys all seemed to drop off in play. So the team is supposed to keep all of these guys until they want to be done? Is that what’s happening?

IMO Woodson and Hayward were mistakes because they went on and played well for their next teams.

2 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I’m just curious which of those decisions were wrong? It seems to me that every one of those guys had one good year then dropped off sharply. Cobb’s year in Houston might be a slight outlier based on the teams overall play but really the other guys all seemed to drop off in play. So the team is supposed to keep all of these guys until they want to be done? Is that what’s happening?

Seems like a reflection of what Rodgers wants to happen to him instead of those guys still being worthy of the money they got or anything.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Doesnt it seem a bit coincidental that AR's suddenly voicing discontent over player moves (cuts/releases/non-tendering of 3rd contracts.....) from back when - at the point he's finally reached the plateau in his own career that he himself may become a cap casualty?

His age has crept up....his cost has ballooned and he had no guaranteed money in the years remaining in his contract. Since the drafting of Love, his play has improved - good! Credit to him - but I sense his own vulnerability was the genesis of this entire "Its for the people / bad culture" movement.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Under the heading of unknowable intrigue - at least to us fans....
Due to his declining health, was TT still pulling the strings there at the end?

Good question.  I think we agree (along with most Packers fans) that TT hung on way too long as GM.  🙁

13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I've lost it?  That was my best rant yet!

But seriously, why admit you were coerced by Aaron effing Rodgers, and basically tell Cobb you're only here because of your buddy?

Not being a smart a$$ here, but the answer is simple.  Because it is the truth.  Cobb isn't stupid, at all.  He knows what the truth is, saying anything else would have been improper.

And let's remember this about Cobb, he was at the Kentucky Derby with Rodgers.  I'm sure he talked about how terrible that place is right now, and how awful the front office is.  Rodgers used a "get out of jail free card" on his friend.  Admirable on his part, admirable on our part as an organization to get it done.  Not the best business decision.  But this went way beyond business.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gopackgo972 said:

"Yah, you guys are doing it all wrong.  Too rigid and mechanical.  When those weak a$$ corners are playing 7 yards off and terrified of what is coming, like our #20, simply stand up and fling the ball to 'Vante.  Get it out quick, get it out accurate and let our Wr's eat.  While padding stats and moving chains."

"Let's trademark that as a group.  #paddinstatsandmoving chains

36 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Does anyone foresee any cap casualties coming out of this camp? Obviously cap space is at a premium this year, so I'd be curious if there are any camp battles where it would make sense to go with the younger, cheaper play. Immediately I thought of Devin Funchess and Josh Jackson, who would each save maybe $1-1.5M and might no provide much of an upgrade over their replacements.

Not arguing against releasing Funchess or Jackson.

Do disagree about the "savings".  You need to add in the next player's contract to that release number.  That number is about $660,000 per player.

So Funchess saves you about $600k.  Dead cap is $300k.

Jackson saves you about $673,104k.  Dead cap is $657,473.

That being said, I'd cut Redmond right now for that $340,000 savings.  Peanuts, but man, they would taste DELICIOUS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Who was the finance/cap guy under TT?  (That's the issue with Rodgers, in my opinion.)

Far as I know, Ball's handled the cap for some time.

Add on - it was Ball.....cause I remember articles detailing how TT was schooling Ball in personnel moves et al - i.e. - enhancing his portfolio for potentially become a GM.

Edited by Leader