Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

7 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Change of direction is a biggie remember one of the knocks was he was somewhat stiff perhaps it’s nit as big of a deal  as it was made at draft time or he has been working on flexibility.

Stokes apparently took a beating today, but that will happen when you are facing the #12/#17 combo.  It's good for him to go up against the best.

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I guess I'm confused about what's so wrong with the equation. The equation is one of the most successful franchises in the NFL.

As far as having heard things, I've heard whispers as well, but to me it mostly comes off as people being mad that the adult in the room won't let them play with lit firecrackers. See: Rodgers, Aaron for the most recent example.

There is nothing wrong with the equation.  Not disputing that one bit.  I am saying that in this particular situation (GB front office), there is a scenario where we continue to do the right financial things, while also listening to Rodgers and possibly treating some veterans better on their way out.  I also feel like if Rodgers is here long term, it would be a waste not to use him to recruit guys in free agency.  And if he wasn't already doing that on his own, well, then that is totally on him. 

The things I've heard aren't exactly whispers.  And no "fanspeak".   Also....heard these things second hand.  Though not third or fourth hand.

1 hour ago, R T said:

I'm surprised by your thought process here. Ball doesn't operate in a vacuum. 

I don't know that he does or does not.

Board>Murphy>Ball=Gute=MLF

Board>TT>Ball>Mac

That is kind of how I see the organization.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

And I'm sure when it comes to re-signing guys and pursuing free agents, the 3 under Murphy come together to discuss what can be done, what can't be done and what is possible to do.

It is just an interesting org flowchart.  Unless I'm wrong about it, freely admit that I could be.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know that he does or does not.

Board>Murphy>Ball=Gute=MLF

Board>TT>Ball>Mac

That is kind of how I see the organization.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

And I'm sure when it comes to re-signing guys and pursuing free agents, the 3 under Murphy come together to discuss what can be done, what can't be done and what is possible to do.

It is just an interesting org flowchart.  Unless I'm wrong about it, freely admit that I could be.

Correct. When a move is made it is a joint decision, there is no rogue activities by anyone. Ball is negotiating and doing contracts under the joint understanding of all in this 4 headed group.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

While also listening to Rodgers and possibly treating some veterans better on their way out.

Like giving them the gold watch on the way out the door as opposed when they come back for Oldtimers Day :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Like giving them the gold watch on the way out the door as opposed when they come back for Oldtimers Day :)

If by gold watch, you mean at least a phone call letting them know that they can't make an offer without insulting the player, then yes.

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

There is nothing wrong with the equation.  Not disputing that one bit.  I am saying that in this particular situation (GB front office), there is a scenario where we continue to do the right financial things, while also listening to Rodgers and possibly treating some veterans better on their way out.  I also feel like if Rodgers is here long term, it would be a waste not to use him to recruit guys in free agency.  And if he wasn't already doing that on his own, well, then that is totally on him. 

GB had a price they were willing to go to on those FA that ended up leaving or being released.  

Nelson: supposedly Rodgers is irritated that it was a "low ball offer"

Lang/Hyde/Woodson:  supposedly Rodgers is irritated there was no offer

seems like a no win situation for the FO unless they pay more than what they feel is the right thing to do

Regarding the recruiting other FA:  with what excess disposable cap space is this supposed to happen with?

Hey XYZ FA, come to GB so our FO can low ball you with an offer since we are cap tight....but you can play with me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If by gold watch, you mean at least a phone call letting them know that they can't make an offer without insulting the player, then yes.

I was told by someone recently that there is "wisdom in silence"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah you're setting this up as a no-win for GB...

If we feel we value a guy at 33% of his expected league value should they offer that? Or just let him walk and tell his agent we won't be making an offer (knowing his market value is way higher than we'd go)?

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I was joking, I love Jaire and his confidence. 

Man, I hope and freakin' WISH that his confidence and swagger would rub off on that entire defense.

Understated thing here from earlier.  Someone mentioned the Amos presser.  How he didn't really care about the Rodgers thing.  Got me thinking....

Amos never had a QB prior to coming to GB.  His teams won with defense.  I hope that our defense takes that mentality this year.  Put the game on them, play with confidence, play with passion and try to win the game themselves.

We would be deadly if our defense took on this kind of personality.

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB had a price they were willing to go to on those FA that ended up leaving or being released.  

Nelson: supposedly Rodgers is irritated that it was a "low ball offer"

Lang/Hyde/Woodson:  supposedly Rodgers is irritated there was no offer

seems like a no win situation for the FO unless they pay more than what they feel is the right thing to do

Regarding the recruiting other FA:  with what excess disposable cap space is this supposed to happen with?

Hey XYZ FA, come to GB so our FO can low ball you with an offer since we are cap tight....but you can play with me

If Rodgers hasn't been spewing that line early and often in free agency throughout the years, that's his fault.

Same breath..... tough to find much fault with an organization who prides itself on taking care of it's own concerning second contracts.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah you're setting this up as a no-win for GB...

If we feel we value a guy at 33% of his expected league value should they offer that? Or just let him walk and tell his agent we won't be making an offer (knowing his market value is way higher than we'd go)?

Yes it is a no win.  But a meeting or phone call telling the player that they were appreciated and that an offer cannot be made that wouldn't be insulting may be what is considered "friendlier" by our QB.

Didn't both Bulaga and Lindsley say they never even heard from the Packers upon free agency?  I honestly cannot remember.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yes it is a no win.  But a meeting or phone call telling the player that they were appreciated and that an offer cannot be made that wouldn't be insulting may be what is considered "friendlier" by our QB.

Didn't both Bulaga and Lindsley say they never even heard from the Packers upon free agency?  I honestly cannot remember.

I always felt like the "I never heard from them" thing isn't really the whole truth.

• Like 2