Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Packers got away with robbery on the Kelly deal. Looks like they have around $12m in cap space.

May have to dip into the CB market still. King is the early candidate to be the biggest mistake of the off-season if this hammy issue lingers. If Stokes isnt ready and we're dealing with a hobbled King again, we'd have a big hole on an otherwise pretty loaded team.

Maybe I am the eternal optimist, but I think we may have something between Ka'dar, Ento, and Samuels, if not Stokes.  I have given up on Jackson.  I think Jean-Charles primarily plays special teams this season, and is waiting in the wings for next season to take over for Chandon Sullivan.  I like the CB room right now.  I think we are going to end up having to cut a good player or two from that group.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Packers got away with robbery on the Kelly deal. Looks like they have around $12m in cap space.

May have to dip into the CB market still. King is the early candidate to be the biggest mistake of the off-season if this hammy issue lingers. If Stokes isnt ready and we're dealing with a hobbled King again, we'd have a big hole on an otherwise pretty loaded team.

Yep....and while they're at it, try and look for some DL help too. With the 2022 cap being a mess and most signs pointing to this being Rodgers and Davante's last seasons here....Pack gotta go all the way in on making that SB run this year. Unlike some prior seasons where Rodgers was propping up a mostly mediocre team, GB now has arguably a top 5-6 roster in the league right now.

8 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Can somebody give me a summary of how Jordan Love has looked?  Somebody asked Wilde on his show Friday and he punted on answering whether or not there has been progression from last august.  

According to Nagler he's looked solid and in command in the offense. Despite some ups and downs he looks clearly better than last year apparently.

8 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Can somebody give me a summary of how Jordan Love has looked?  Somebody asked Wilde on his show Friday and he punted on answering whether or not there has been progression from last august.  

According to Nagler he's looked solid and in command in the offense. Despite some ups and downs he looks clearly better than last year apparently.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Seriously. The year we went 10-6 with Majik Man after years of ineptitude felt like a SB win lol. 

For myself, the Majik season ranks only behind the Favre SB as my most enjoyable season as a Packers fan.   The Rodgers SB obviously had a better ending, but the season itself was often quite frustrating.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Bigger mistake for GB passing on Badgers in the draft?     

Kevin King over TJ Watt

or

Terrell Buckley over Troy Vincent?

I'm guilty of being a Badgers homer, so the moment of these two picks being announced is a toss up for the most disappointed I've been while following Packers drafts. 

Edited by Mazrimiv

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Bigger mistake for GB passing on Badgers in the draft?     

Kevin King over TJ Watt

or

Terrell Buckley over Troy Vincent?

I'm guilty of being a Badgers homer, so the moment of these two picks being announced is a toss up for the most disappointed I've been while following Packers drafts. 

Tony Mandarich over Barry Sander, Derek Thomas or Deion Sanders..... the next three players drafted.  

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Maybe I am the eternal optimist, but I think we may have something between Ka'dar, Ento, and Samuels, if not Stokes.  I have given up on Jackson.  I think Jean-Charles primarily plays special teams this season, and is waiting in the wings for next season to take over for Chandon Sullivan.  I like the CB room right now.  I think we are going to end up having to cut a good player or two from that group.

Yea I just don't think there's a sure thing in that group as a dependable starter. This is obviously going to be a different year in terms of adding player personnel. We are already "all in" so we might as well use that extra money to go overboard at a few positions. CB is a position where you don't take chances IMO. I'd be okay with King if I felt he wasn't made of paper.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Tony Mandarich over Barry Sander, Derek Thomas or Deion Sanders..... the next three players drafted.  

and none of them were Badgers.

As for Mandrich, the pick was certainly a mistake, but I wasn't disappointed when the pick was made.  He was supposed to be an all-time great, but then the NFL started caring about steroids.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

We are already "all in" so we might as well use that extra money to go overboard at a few positions. CB is a position where you don't take chances IMO. I'd be okay with King if I felt he wasn't made of paper.

Except if we're going all in we need to not only bring in a proven DB on a cheap deal, but we gotta go find our Andre Rison circa 1996 as well and Cobb isn't that guy. We have two reliable WR's in Adams and Lazard, Rodgers as the developmental guy who can contribute immediately, Cobb as the savvy veteran, MVS as a potential deep threat, and then JAG's TBH except for maybe Funchess.

11 hours ago, VonKarman said:

That shouldn't take much. As we've said time and again: last year was probably be the best thing that could've happened to him because he could work in silence and develop behind closed doors without the media being all over his nutz. Now that he probably understands the playbook, we can just wait for live, in-game snaps to discuss his situation further.

12 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Yep....and while they're at it, try and look for some DL help too. With the 2022 cap being a mess and most signs pointing to this being Rodgers and Davante's last seasons here....Pack gotta go all the way in on making that SB run this year. Unlike some prior seasons where Rodgers was propping up a mostly mediocre team, GB now has arguably a top 5-6 roster in the league right now.

yeah, what's up with KeKe's situation? FWIW, Gil Martin's reporting that Slaton has looked REALLY good with the extra reps he's gotten due to KeKe's absence. Honestly, we've got a top-5 roster in the league believe it or not. As unpopular as this take may be, it'll be a sign of things to come if we have a dominant preseason TBH; I think our depth is underrated and the UDFA's we've brought in the last two years along with the other Day 3/UDFA guys from previous years are going to pay dividends.

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Yea I just don't think there's a sure thing in that group as a dependable starter. This is obviously going to be a different year in terms of adding player personnel. 

I want to back to your first point here. I want agree with @ThatJerkDave on this one but while there's no dependable starter, there are a couple serviceable guys that can at least hold down the position until their replacement is secured. I strongly think King will be used quite differently this year in more of a press role TBH. He can be the upside of Gunter as a technician with the speed if he can stay healthy and flip his hips a bit better. That said, that hammy is going to dog him the entire season and if that's the case, look for him to be used for spot duty and not retained after the season. He just seems to be so up-n-down and perhaps Stokes could be the player we hoped King could be. 

I think I would prefer to keep the cap space that GB has and see how the first few weeks of the season go.  See what young players step forward, injuries, etc.   Having a bit more cap space might make a trade before the deadline more possible to take on some higher cap player.   Easier to see who is a seller at that point as well.  

As much as adding a warm body to some of these positions, may be better to seek out some better quality vs street FA types in early/mid August

• Like 2

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Yea I just don't think there's a sure thing in that group as a dependable starter. This is obviously going to be a different year in terms of adding player personnel. We are already "all in" so we might as well use that extra money to go overboard at a few positions. CB is a position where you don't take chances IMO. I'd be okay with King if I felt he wasn't made of paper.

Or Glass!

On 7/31/2021 at 9:10 AM, Isherwood said:

The thing about the "all-in" discourse is that it's always assumed that by pushing your chips in, you automatically win the big one, when that's just not true. Nothing is guaranteed. I've seen more than one prominent packers blogger on twitter say about our tenuous cap situation: "well, I'll take the championship and not care about the fallout next year" - okay, that's great...still gotta win that championship. I'm old enough to remember "the dream team" Eagles. I'm old enough to remember that the Harbaugh Niners were going to be a menace for a decade. The LoB Seahawks were supposed to be more than a fart in the wind. Nothing is guaranteed in this league. 

You can't assume that by going "all-in" you're guaranteed any better than what you got. We're about to see if that's true this coming year, because we're just about as cash strapped as you can be. 

Many times I've seen teams awarded The Offseason Championship, only to end up 8-8 once the games started.