Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Minus the arm though.  I am watching him right now, and he didn't have that absolute cannon like Favre, Elway, Cutler had.  By no means was he weak, probably an average NFL arm.  

So hard to tell from that video quality but that was a rare arm too. He has some similar idiosyncrasies for sure

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I still maintain Majkowski could've been a very good QB if he hadn't wrecked his shoulder. 

I was just arguing against QB wins being a stat, but I think it's fair to point out that he was 19-18-1 as a starter from 87-90; Alan Risher went 2-1 in the strike games, and everyone else they trotted out went 4-18. 

I totally agree. I remember Majik leading us to a huge upset win at Candlestick that season.  It was 1 of only 2 losses by SF that season on their way to winning the SB. He didn’t exactly put up big stats but he still got it done. It was the biggest GB win of my life at that point (I think I was a FR in HS *yikes* lol).  It was so exciting to finally have a legit squad!

Edited by thrILL!
Majik 🪄

36 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I totally agree. I remember Majik leading us to a huge upset win at Candlestick that season.  It was 1 of only 2 losses by SF that season on their way to winning the SB. He didn’t exactly put up big stats but he still got it done. It was the biggest GB win of my life at that point (I think I was a FR in HS *yikes* lol).  It was so exciting to finally have a legit squad!

Old *** ****

Lol

I feel old here sometimes, or just online in general, so thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Minus the arm though.  I am watching him right now, and he didn't have that absolute cannon like Favre, Elway, Cutler had.  By no means was he weak, probably an average NFL arm.  

Once someone compared him to Staubach, which I bristled over, but hes in the Staubach/Young/Tarkenton mold, physically - good arm, athletic, excellent mobility/threat to run. 

Obviously he wasnt the caliber of those 3 but that's the tangibles. Intangibles, he did have some of that Favre/McMahon swagger.

7 hours ago, Norm said:

Highlights, just highlights look a little Favreian

This is a good analogy and as @ThatJerkDavesaid he didn't have a cannon of an arm. 

He gave Green Bay football fans a glimmer of hope. Plus he beat the Bears in '89 on a replay and Ditka made them put an asterisk in the records because he was so pissed off. The Bears thought Majik was over the LOS on the winning TD toss. It was close but they got the call right. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

This is a good analogy and as @ThatJerkDavesaid he didn't have a cannon of an arm. 

He gave Green Bay football fans a glimmer of hope. Plus he beat the Bears in '89 on a replay and Ditka made them put an asterisk in the records because he was so pissed off. The Bears thought Majik was over the LOS on the winning TD toss. It was close but they got the call right. 

That was a satisfying moment in the Packers Bears rivalry. We were down for so long that win felt like the top of the world after the Bears dominance of the 80’s. I was in middle school at the time and a casual fan at best but remember watching that game with family, who were some of the most fatalistic fans after enduring the prior decades, and the legitimate  excitement for the Pack was great for me as a young fan. 

12 hours ago, Norm said:

One of the biggest issues is the narrative has been that we never even get close to all in and that just makes fans want it even more. There's some "logic" to it. But you're absolutely right. It's still really tough and still takes some good luck. One of my favorite fanisms is like oh of we won 1SB we could be bad for five years and I wouldn't care. Now they really believe that, I think they do. But they're just ******* wrong. They'll just keep wanting another one and expecting more after the success. It's human nature. 

Also losing late in the NFCC sucks but at least you feel in it for a long time often. I know it's not the end goal obviously but I'm the moments before that loss, it's a lot more intense than watching some rebuild that can only win 8 games.

Here's to hoping it works, but it won't make anyone feel any better if we don't do it, but that's what they like to pretend. The whole "at least we tried" fallacy.

What drives me nuts is that if we did go all in and missed, those same fans would blame the FO for "wasting Rodgers prime" with the bad signings made to go all in.

That being said, I support going all in at the end of a franchise QBs career since you are usually not in a position to have the next franchise QB lined up. Ironically, this doesn't apply to either Favre or Rodgers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Lots of fond memories of Majik.

BUT...he spent most of his time trying to dig us out of the hole he dug himself (TD-Int ratio).  He led us to victory over the Cards that left us with the Tony Mandarich pick.  He was mediocre at best and unfortunately that was better than usual at the time.

I was fortunate enough to be at his last start in GB when he got injured and Favre took over. Watching the pregame warm ups....his arm looked pathetic next to Favre's.  He could never have made that TD throw to Kittrick Taylor to win the game.  It was also TBucks debut and another rookie from Cincinnati returned a punt for a TD (Carl Pickens).

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

That was a satisfying moment in the Packers Bears rivalry. We were down for so long that win felt like the top of the world after the Bears dominance of the 80’s. I was in middle school at the time and a casual fan at best but remember watching that game with family, who were some of the most fatalistic fans after enduring the prior decades, and the legitimate  excitement for the Pack was great for me as a young fan. 

Personally, I prefer the second 89 game where Keith freakin' Woodside ran all over the Bears in a 40-28 GB win. 

Keith Woodside was terrible, which makes it all the sweeter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

I was fortunate enough to be at his last start in GB when he got injured and Favre took over. Watching the pregame warm ups....his arm looked pathetic next to Favre's.  He could never have made that TD throw to Kittrick Taylor to win the game.  It was also TBucks debut and another rookie from Cincinnati returned a punt for a TD (Carl Pickens).

I was at his first start a few years before that.  It was at County Stadium back when the Packers played half their home games there.  It was pouring rain the entire game but nobody cared.  The place went crazy when Brian Noble picked off Elway in OT only for everyone to groan after Ken Davis fumbled the ball the next time. Then everyone erupted in cheer when Denver’s kicker missed the game-winning FG. How any kicker could even try one in that torrential rain was wild. The game ended in a tie which was poetic. lol

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-09-21-sp-5946-story.html

• Like 1