Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

Peter Bukowski -   The Packers’ RPO game features more pre-snap ID and playing to numbers rather than reading a conflict defender post-snap where you often get the slant in behind the LB. But their play-action w/ an inbreaker concept follows the same idea of throwing to where the LB vacates.

Aaron Nagler -   Sweet throw from Love to EQ on an Out to the far hash. Some mustard on that one. Equanimeous St. Brown has had a really nice start to camp. If he keeps this up when the pads come on, he’s going to make things really interesting when it comes to deciding the WR group.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler -   Another day of no one being able to get around Elgton Jenkins. He’s legit been on “set it and forget it” in pass pro at left tackle.

///

Maybe he winds up being the best "pre-Bak" LT we can field.

We’ve been drafting so many interior lineman the last few years, maybe we move him to RT full time when bak is back.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 15412 said:

It's really going to be a tough WR cut this year....

Agreed.  Kind of.  I think we are going to cut some NFL talent.  I also think that we will have some on the PS if we want to.  I think Malik Taylor and Juwan Winfree will make it to the PS.  But we may have to give up EQ or Funchess as well.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Agreed.  Kind of.  I think we are going to cut some NFL talent.  I also think that we will have some on the PS if we want to.  I think Malik Taylor and Juwan Winfree will make it to the PS.  But we may have to give up EQ or Funchess as well.

Yeah at this point I'd be on the phone trying to trade EQ or Funchess to a team in need of WR depth

WRs group (after cutdown). Adams, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, MVS.

I don't think they keep a 6th WR and here's why.

LaFleur likes the TE and H back position.
He likes a solid and varied run game, so he likes RBs.
He has a lot of o linemen fighting for a position on this team, so they are a candidate for an extra player.

What that says to me is no 6th WR (who would/should see most action on ST). Candidates for ST players probably don't include ESB and Funchess, who might otherwise be 6th WR choices. Other players like Winfree (who looked good early on in camp) seem likely to find a spot on the practice squad. Other than him, Malik Taylor was the most used WR on special teams last year, so if the Packers DID go 6 on WR, Malik could be the best fit - he had 181 ST snaps in 2020 (the next most was Shepherd at 45 and ESB at 41 - MVS had 0).

This ties into the point made by @pgwingman   If you can get something for ESB or Funchess, take it.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

WRs group (after cutdown). Adams, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, MVS.

I don't think they keep a 6th WR and here's why.

LaFleur likes the TE and H back position.
He likes a solid and varied run game, so he likes RBs.
He has a lot of o linemen fighting for a position on this team, so they are a candidate for an extra player.

What that says to me is no 6th WR (who would see most action on ST). Candidates for ST players probably don't include ESB and Funchess, who might otherwise be 6th WR choices. Other players like Winfree (who looked good early on in camp) seem likely to find a spot on the practice squad. Other than him, Malik Taylor was the most used WR on special teams last year, so if the Packers DID go 6 on WR, Malik could be the best fit - he had 181 ST snaps in 2020 (the next most was Shepherd at 45 and ESB at 41 - MVS had 0).

This is sound logic except, Adams and Cobb have been missing games the last few seasons. I think a 6th WR makes sense for that reason and also, you are going to lose 2 of the following next off season: Adam, Cobb, MVS. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This is sound logic except, Adams and Cobb have been missing games the last few seasons. I think a 6th WR makes sense for that reason and also, you are going to lose 2 of the following next off season: Adam, Cobb, MVS. 

I guess this is where Malik Taylor might come in..................unless your injured guy is taking a lot of snaps on offense, in which case ESB or Funchess might stick around - at least until the injured guy was healthy again.

To expand on that, I'm saying that if the injured guy was Cobb or Rodgers (who can play a similar position) or MVS, Malik looks worth keeping. If the injured guy was Adams or Lazard, then Funchess or ESB could be a more atrractive option.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive