Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If Love hits they'll want cap flexibility to hit FA hard and maximize his rookie deal years. Fill positions that are critical to a SB run. WR is not that position. 

If Love hits , especially early, Davante will be a big part of it.  The team is built to win now. The Packers will get a deal done with him that has the structure that they want. 

Davante is in a pretty s***** position I think. With GB being able to tag him, I don’t see a team shelling out huge money to him at 30.

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Just trade everybody who's all butt hurt about whatever **** they're crying about lately. 

Money turns SOME athletes into the biggest *******. I swear if these guys worked a regular job they'd get laughed outta the workplace. 

You went in and asked your boss for a paycut right?   Times are tough for most companies.  It is the least you can do.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

You went in and asked your boss for a paycut right?   Times are tough for most companies.  It is the least you can do.

I personally don't fault any of these guys for getting as much as they can get when their contract comes up. I also don't fault the Packers for understanding they have a cap to adhere to, some other guys coming along that are going to need to get paid and you can't pay everyone. Rodgers has three years left on his deal. He's collected 98.5 million dollars on his contract already. 

I think it's a tough but screwed move on the Packers part to NOT pay Davante more than Hopkins got. It's not the Packers fault Arizona was dumb enough to do it. So it would seem the Packers will be without Adams and Rodgers next year. Rodgers maybe this year too. 

It's life in the modern NFL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Just trade everybody who's all butt hurt about whatever **** they're crying about lately. 

Money turns SOME athletes into the biggest *******. I swear if these guys worked a regular job they'd get laughed outta the workplace. 

Depends what your job is, I guess. I work in tech and you can bet your *** I'm negotiating for the best pay I can get. If my company doesn't want to pay me what I'm worth, I'll go find 100 other companies who will. Davante is doing what any one of us would — and speaking as a manager, so are the Packers.

13 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

If Love hits , especially early, Davante will be a big part of it.  The team is built to win now. The Packers will get a deal done with him that has the structure that they want. 

Davante is in a pretty s***** position I think. With GB being able to tag him, I don’t see a team shelling out huge money to him at 30.

What structure do they want ?

They can't realistically franchise tag Adams and he will know that.   Any contract would need a very small number in 2022 so probably astronomical numbers beyond that. For an ageing receiver with an injury history. Its hard but you have to know when to walk away.

I can see Rodgers, Adams and Z all gone.  You don't want to burden your roster with huge third contracts for declining players. Maybe you do that when you have a super bowl window closing and in win-now mode.  Not saying its a rebuild but you are starting fresh if you go with Love and you aren't in all-in territory.

Jaire will need a mega contract,  Bakh has one. If Love hits he will need a much bigger contract. 

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

They will if Aaron has a change of heart and takes that extension, they won't if he doesn't. That's my belief.

No reason for a rebuilding team to be tied to a 30m WR who's approaching 30.

Smart for the FO to take a wait and see approach. Re-signing Adams is an "all-in" move.

That's exactly it.

If you are all-in then you maybe try and find and way of doing it,  lump 100m of dead money against the 2023 and 2024 caps or something. 

We aren't necessarily going to be a bad team with Love and it might not be a rebuild as such but its a very different situation. A fresh QB isn't the time to burden yourself to huge 3rd contracts for declining guys.

I am stunned that our resident COVID reporter hasn't already let everyone know about the news of Packers LB Ray Wilborn being placed on the COVID-19 list. 

In other news today, the Packers have placed RB Patrick Taylor on the PUP to start training camp again. He was on the PUP all of last seasons training camp. 

The Packers also worked out Safety Brian Cole, but did not sign him today. Cole was a Vikings 7th round pick last year out of Mississippi State.   

37 minutes ago, R T said:

I am stunned that our resident COVID reporter hasn't already let everyone know about the news of Packers LB Ray Wilborn being placed on the COVID-19 list. 

In other news today, the Packers have placed RB Patrick Taylor on the PUP to start training camp again. He was on the PUP all of last seasons training camp. 

The Packers also worked out Safety Brian Cole, but did not sign him today. Cole was a Vikings 7th round pick last year out of Mississippi State.   

Wasn't Taylor's injury from college? IF so, what the heck did he do and is it maybe time to hang it up! If you ain't back in 2 years maybe that is a sign. 

23 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Wasn't Taylor's injury from college? IF so, what the heck did he do and is it maybe time to hang it up! If you ain't back in 2 years maybe that is a sign. 

Or the Pack has finally joined the dark side and is giving fringe guys nod and wink spots on the roster. LB and RB are highly likely to need some depth with the amount hits those positions take. I’m only being 10% serious but with our roster crunch I wouldn’t mind some room for developing linemen and extra TE/FB to get this offense moving.  Things will shake out over the next month but we need to fill plenty of spots with cheap contracts this year with so much tied up in our stars. 

So, who are "your guys" this camp?

Mine are:

Offense:

Patrick Taylor - he reminds me of James Starks.  If he can ever get on the field, I like what he has.

Juwan Winfree/Malik Taylor - I think the better of these two make the roster.  That is over EQ and/or Funchess.  I don't think they are amazing, but I think they play specials and don't get hurt.

Defense:

Jonathan Garvin - if this guy hits, he will be a total steal.

TJ Slayton - how can you not root for a guy that is as big as a house?

Vernon Scott - duh.

This year I think our bottom of the roster guys at DB are pretty good.  We won't keep them all.  I'm pretty interested to see how it shakes out.  I think we will cut a guy that ends up playing somewhere.