Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

56 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Burks stands to benefit the most from the Rambo injury. His ST play may be enough for the Packers to keep him as the No. 5 ILB/primary ST player

True. Unfortunately his on the field presence with the D has been underwhelming.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

True. Unfortunately his on the field presence with the D has been underwhelming.

Yea, personally I think he's a lost cause at LB, but we don't really need him to play defense at this point. If he's a core ST player, that's worth a roster spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I think last year proved just how meaningless the preseason is, at least for your starters. There wasn't any drop off early in regular season play that I noticed despite no preseason last year. Preseason has 2 uses: for the NFL, it's useful to make money, and for teams, it's useful to evaluate the back end of your roster or maybe a positional battle or two. That's it. 

You can only say that if a team with no pre-season plays a team with a pre-season. The missing 10% sharpness from not playing a part in pre-season may not be obvious to a viewer when its the same for both teams.

2 hours ago, Norm said:

He had one yesterday that everyone was talking about where he dove for it too. 

Rodgers can find the ball and go get it pretty much regardless of location.  Biggest thing that separates him from Cobb as a slot in this offense; opens the door to running more of the type of routes that are much more likely to require you to track and adjust.  At this point I gotta imagine Cobb is basically just going to be a crosser/flare out/screen guy, which is fine since this offense makes good use of those.  But Rodgers has a very nice ceiling in this offense running double move stuff off of motion/PA.

• Like 2

Random question of the day - what happened with Isaac Nauta's workout coming out?  By all accounts he's having a nice camp, which again as a vet who's done a regular TC before means a lot less than it seems.  But still; that workout is truly shockingly bad, and dude was a 5-star HS recruit who averaged 13.3 YPC at Georgia.  No way on earth he should have put up numbers that terrible unless he was struggling with an injury or something.  

I'm really curious to see how the TE group shakes out as preseason moves along.  Tonyan's the clear #1, he'll get all the major inline snaps in X1 (01/11/21) personnel, probably also get a fair number of snaps lined up as a receiver/slot to get match-ups.  Deguara's the clear #1 H-back, he'll get the FB/wing/whatever snaps, plus a fair amount of reps in the slot.  Lewis will do Lewis things.  But Sternberger/Dafney/Nauta are all kinda fighting for a look, and it'll be interesting to see how that resolves.  Sternberger needed to put on good weight and by all accounts has, if he shows an improved physicality as a blocker you could have a legit player as a move TE, work him in as the #2 to both starters.  Dafney's role as a poor man's Deguara is clear, but I'm not even sure it's that poor a man; he has legitimate potential being able to win as a route runner against low level coverage guys and he's willing to give 200% as a blocker.  I would have written Nauta off a long time ago just based on his profile, but it seems he's gotten a few chances to run with the 1s which would indicate they like him more than you'd expect.  

Really feels like anyone's game behind those first three, and in this offense you're almost guaranteed to keep four.  If I was a betting man, Sternberger's getting the fourth slot and you try and get Dafney on the PS in case of injury.  But Sternberger is the kind of player coaches don't really bang the table for, and it wouldn't shock me if he just isn't enough of a presence in the blocking game to hold onto that spot.

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Random question of the day - what happened with Isaac Nauta's workout coming out?  By all accounts he's having a nice camp, which again as a vet who's done a regular TC before means a lot less than it seems.  But still; that workout is truly shockingly bad, and dude was a 5-star HS recruit who averaged 13.3 YPC at Georgia.  No way on earth he should have put up numbers that terrible unless he was struggling with an injury or something.  

I'm really curious to see how the TE group shakes out as preseason moves along.  Tonyan's the clear #1, he'll get all the major inline snaps in X1 (01/11/21) personnel, probably also get a fair number of snaps lined up as a receiver/slot to get match-ups.  Deguara's the clear #1 H-back, he'll get the FB/wing/whatever snaps, plus a fair amount of reps in the slot.  Lewis will do Lewis things.  But Sternberger/Dafney/Nauta are all kinda fighting for a look, and it'll be interesting to see how that resolves.  Sternberger needed to put on good weight and by all accounts has, if he shows an improved physicality as a blocker you could have a legit player as a move TE, work him in as the #2 to both starters.  Dafney's role as a poor man's Deguara is clear, but I'm not even sure it's that poor a man; he has legitimate potential being able to win as a route runner against low level coverage guys and he's willing to give 200% as a blocker.  I would have written Nauta off a long time ago just based on his profile, but it seems he's gotten a few chances to run with the 1s which would indicate they like him more than you'd expect.  

Really feels like anyone's game behind those first three, and in this offense you're almost guaranteed to keep four.  If I was a betting man, Sternberger's getting the fourth slot and you try and get Dafney on the PS in case of injury.  But Sternberger is the kind of player coaches don't really bang the table for, and it wouldn't shock me if he just isn't enough of a presence in the blocking game to hold onto that spot.

Sternberger may have “helped” the team with a 2 game suspension to start the year. They will have a bit more flexibility as will the PS rules if a guy like Nauta or Dafney are stashed there. Going to be some interesting decisions trying to go all in this year but acknowledging some pretty large holes could be created for next year and we’d better be developing replacements. 

Edited by Refugee

quick read on Nauta's combine (and pro day):

https://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/article228442204.html

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Georgia-Football-Isaac-Nauta-feeling-a-lot-better-after-pro-day-130316106/

Nauta couldn’t give a reasoning for it. Maybe it was a lack of sleep in Indianapolis. Maybe it was fatigue from the strenuous demands of the combine. Regardless of what it was, a cycle of thoughts instantly ran through the former Georgia tight end’s head: Why did this happen to me on this day?

“I was crushed about it,” said Nauta, who was one of many Georgia players who opted to leave the program after their junior season. “I had worked so hard up until that point. It’s tough when you grind. You’re ready for that moment, but it doesn’t happen like you thought it would.”

That even included teams who could potentially draft Nauta, who grades in many mock drafts as a mid-round selection. A message from scouts was direct: “Your film doesn’t match the time.”

His main gripe, though, was that Nauta knew his capabilities were better than the 4.91 that many people base a performance off of. Nauta’s other combine results included a 28-inch vertical jump, 19 repetitions on bench press, 7.45 seconds on the 3-cone drill and 4.43 seconds on the 20-yard shuttle. He received a prospect grade of 5.50 by the NFL, which translates to a “chance to become an NFL starter.”

[Pro Day] As many eyes re-focused on Nauta and his 40-yard dash time, it was much improved. He was clocked in a range of 4.59 to 4.80 seconds by the time he made his final stride. He came into the event with the hopes of falling between a high 4.6 and a low 4.7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Rodgers can find the ball and go get it pretty much regardless of location.  Biggest thing that separates him from Cobb as a slot in this offense; opens the door to running more of the type of routes that are much more likely to require you to track and adjust.  At this point I gotta imagine Cobb is basically just going to be a crosser/flare out/screen guy, which is fine since this offense makes good use of those.  But Rodgers has a very nice ceiling in this offense running double move stuff off of motion/PA.

I want to see him run the wheel route off of the jet sweep stuff.....

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Yes it has. However, he is athletic as hell. I won't hold my breath, but a new defensive coordinator my be just what the doctor ordered for Burks