Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

Hearing positive stuff on Rodgers is encouraging.   The ability to make difficult catches is fun, and having quickness isn't something the non-Adams Packers WR have had much of for a while.  Rodgers' reputation is as a smart, professional type of guy.  So I'm hoping that he'll adapt relatively quickly.  

2nd and 3rd round draft picks are really important.  You can get good, capable core players there.  But as we as Packers fans know, you often don't end up with that, particularly with 3rd round picks.  I'm really optimistic that Gute will go 4-4 over these last two drafts, and that Dillon, Myers, Deguara, and Rodgers will all prove to be good core players. 

It's probably always coach-speak.  But in listening to MLF's press conferences, it's fascinating to track how often he talks about "smart player", "really smart player", "very intelligent player", "instinctive player".   I know I know, coach-speak and all that.  But I think it reflects how important football smarts are to coaches, and probably to actual performance.  Seems like Rodgers, Deguara, and Myers all have a chance to qualify favorably in those areas.  Fun to hope for.  

5 hours ago, R T said:

I'm not a person who has 'my guys', but Jack Heflin keeps popping up in tweets from people who are covering TC. It is not easy for IDL to get noticed in TC. Add in a check of the Packers first depth chart and see Heflin is listed as a second teamer, makes me think the Packers like him a little more than he is being talked about. Or it could mean nothing.      

That's good to read.  Some of his scouting report seemed kinda favorable:  strong, low-built, low-pad-level, kinda quick for change-of-direction.  Didn't scout well for pass-rushing, or for running very far.  Short arms.  I wonder if he's got some potential Lancaster-type profile?  Maybe not much of a playmaker candidate, but perhaps a strong trench guy who could be functional in the run game?  

I often love the UDFA prospects, fun stories often.  Not sure how many will make the 53, but with 16 PS spots, plenty of space to keep guys who look interesting.  

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Hearing positive stuff on Rodgers is encouraging.   The ability to make difficult catches is fun, and having quickness isn't something the non-Adams Packers WR have had much of for a while.  Rodgers' reputation is as a smart, professional type of guy.  So I'm hoping that he'll adapt relatively quickly.  

Cobb may be here mostly from the other Rodgers but his relationship with Amari is a big upside to his return. It's gotta be special for the two of them to get to play together and you know Cobb has already taken him under his wing.  I'm hoping to see some chemistry between Amari and Love in the PS too.  Those two could be a deadly connection going fwd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Sounds like he maybe got shook by that bad 40 time and it affected him pretty badly at combine overall

If I'm being real, I'm always surprised it doesn't happen more often.  I realize pro football sort of self selects for people who aren't hugely affected by pressure, but you'd still expect to see people just bomb workouts more often than they do just on nerves.  Nauta looks the part of a very solid athlete especially in his 2018 "tape" (tape here means youtube highlights), he isn't really explosive but he seems to have no real issues moving in space or staying compact and quick through traffic as a ball carrier and there's enough long speed to be dangerous.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Many wrote off Rodgers and declared brohm the heir apparent after we drafted brohm. He sucked.

I hate Brohm more than maybe any human being. I never lost more money gambling on one single player involved in games I bet on. Bet against, he'd win, bet with and he'd choke so ******* hard. Every damn time but I never learned. I about broke things, I might have broke things, when we drafted him

Kinda shows what we probably thought about AR at the time

Edited by Norm

3 hours ago, craig said:

Bob, agree on question about the TE's.  I'm guessing none of the depth guys is an overwhelming waiver prospect.  Think you can keep all three on the 69-man.  Could Nauta be the replacement for Lewis next year, perhaps?  

I'm not sure how they're going to replace Lewis to be honest, and I mean that in the sense that I'm not sure there's even another Lewis in the league right now.  Dude absolutely honed his craft on top of being an absurdly massive human being, and that type of TE is already in short supply with the nature of both the college and pro games.  It's pretty clear that's what Kaufusi is on the roster for, and my guess is they'll PS him if they have the space just to see if he can keep developing that way, but he's a long way away from even being a back-up NFL TE much less an All-Pro caliber blocker.  Most likely scenario is MLF just adjusting their scheme to use way less inline TE blocking and way more moving pockets, misdirection, screens, quick hitters, etc. to take advantage of their growing roster of move TEs.  Try and get your athletes in space with guys like Deguara or Dafney in front of them.

17 minutes ago, Norm said:

It was an obvious "hedge your bet" move after year 3 of Aaron. Plus, Brett was out so we needed another QB. I got the thought process behind the pick. I know after year 2 is different than after year 3 but we'll be in the same situation, potentially, after 2021, with Aaron potentially getting dealt before we lose him for nothing. Wouldn't surprise me if this staff takes that approach again and we invest a relatively high pick on a QB in 22.

51 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It was an obvious "hedge your bet" move after year 3 of Aaron. Plus, Brett was out so we needed another QB. I got the thought process behind the pick. I know after year 2 is different than after year 3 but we'll be in the same situation, potentially, after 2021, with Aaron potentially getting dealt before we lose him for nothing. Wouldn't surprise me if this staff takes that approach again and we invest a relatively high pick on a QB in 22.

Can't disagree with this.  Maybe a veteran option as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm not sure how they're going to replace Lewis to be honest, and I mean that in the sense that I'm not sure there's even another Lewis in the league right now.  Dude absolutely honed his craft on top of being an absurdly massive human being, and that type of TE is already in short supply with the nature of both the college and pro games.  It's pretty clear that's what Kaufusi is on the roster for, and my guess is they'll PS him if they have the space just to see if he can keep developing that way, but he's a long way away from even being a back-up NFL TE much less an All-Pro caliber blocker.  Most likely scenario is MLF just adjusting their scheme to use way less inline TE blocking and way more moving pockets, misdirection, screens, quick hitters, etc. to take advantage of their growing roster of move TEs.  Try and get your athletes in space with guys like Deguara or Dafney in front of them.

Kaufusi is 30 years old, so he won't be along-term project. Either he'll develop soon or not at all. 

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Brohm was a stud in college, too - if he'd come out the year prior he'd have been in the conversation for first overall. 

11 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm not convinced replacing that skillset is going to be that tough. Replacing that skillset to the level at which Lewic plays it will be tough, but there are good blockign TEs at the back end of a couple NFL rosters. The skillset isn't extinct. 

13 hours ago, Norm said:

I hate Brohm more than maybe any human being. I never lost more money gambling on one single player involved in games I bet on. Bet against, he'd win, bet with and he'd choke so ******* hard. Every damn time but I never learned. I about broke things, I might have broke things, when we drafted him

Just to be clear, does this mean you gambled on his college games or were you betting on his preseason games? Cause one of those is the type of truly degenerate behavior I'd be proud of.

• Like 1