Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

Ryan Wood -   The Jordan Love and Reggie Begelton connection still going. Love hits Begelton on a deep out, leads him in stride away from good coverage from Vernon Scott. A fan in the stands shouts, “Nice throw, Jordan.” So the bleacher section is happy.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, squire12 said:

You can probably find a decent athlete at a D3 school playing OT that could be a Lewis type TE blocker.  Trim them down so they have a bit more mobility for the passing game

I think that's actually a really good idea and trimming them down may not be that much of a stretch given that few DIII OT's are 290 and heavier, though we've seen Baltimore convert Patrick Ricard into a FB at 311. I took a look at the 2019 Whitewater roster for crates and giggles and only one OL was the prototypical 6-6 320. Most of the rest of them that were 6-3 and taller were 290 though there was a freshman that had the prototypical blocking TE size at 6-4 260. I think the only issue you'd really run into taking that route is finding someone that has the athleticism and balance to run the kind of limited route tree that Lewis executes. 

On the other hand, one could argue that Bronson Kaufusi is being groomed to take over Lewis' role in the short-term after this year. Not up to speed on his PS eligibility, but if we could stash him on the PS we could be very well prepared to slide him into that role once Lewis retires after this year....though that is an assumption that he retires given that he's said he doesn't feel as if he's slowing down.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Brohm

Louisville was 10-1, and won the Orange Bowl his Junior season.  Then the wheels fell off and they were 6-6 in his Senior season.  I think that in any single season of his high school career he eclipsed my high school's entire passing statistics all 4 years I was there.

Brohm is a classic case of coming out of college too late and other collegiate players HAD to have taken notice as to what happened to Brohm. Granted, Brohm would have been a bust either way, but he probably would've gotten a longer leash had he been drafted to be a franchise QB, rather than a back-up plan or an investment.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -     A name to watch during the preseason? Innis Gaines. Gaines has had a nice camp so far and is a versatile defender with box experience from his time at TCU & was very good against the run—2 musts in Barry’s defense. They don’t call him ‘Thump’ for nothing.

He's the Coy Cronk of the DBs: plays extremely well in college, gets hurt, falls off the radar for a couple of years, rehabs himself back and the Packers give him a legit shot in TC. 

The more I think of it and go back to college resumes, the more I really like a lot of these obscure UDFA signings we've made over that past 16 months. I don't believe we have to gut the team after the season as is given other players that have nicely developed, but if we can hit on at least 3 of these guys our road becomes a lot smoother after the year.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -     A name to watch during the preseason? Innis Gaines. Gaines has had a nice camp so far and is a versatile defender with box experience from his time at TCU & was very good against the run—2 musts in Barry’s defense. They don’t call him ‘Thump’ for nothing.

Do I change my avatar picture now or when they finalize the roster cuts@incognito_man

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood -   The Jordan Love and Reggie Begelton connection still going. Love hits Begelton on a deep out, leads him in stride away from good coverage from Vernon Scott. A fan in the stands shouts, “Nice throw, Jordan.” So the bleacher section is happy.

Packers should keep Begelton to ensure Love is happy.

• Like 9

Just now, Reaper said:

Packers should keep Begelton to ensure Love is happy.

I think they're going to continue to develop him TBH. He's not exactly a burner, he's not exactly physical, but he has a high football IQ and he runs his routes with precision.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

You can probably find a decent athlete at a D3 school playing OT that could be a Lewis type TE blocker.  Trim them down so they have a bit more mobility for the passing game

So, you are saying all we have to do is teach Yosh Nijman how to catch?  Cuz I'm down with that.

I think you guys are missing the boat a little bit on Lewis. That dude was still a damn good natural athlete even after the wheels had fallen off. 

Your standard college OT transfer type isn't going to have the seasoning, mindset, first step, leaping ability, or technique that makes a guy like Lewis. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think you guys are missing the boat a little bit on Lewis. That dude was still a damn good natural athlete even after the wheels had fallen off. 

Your standard college OT transfer type isn't going to have the seasoning, mindset, first step, leaping ability, or technique that makes a guy like Lewis. 

You are spoiling the fun, I wanted to watch and see just how far the insanity would go. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

SO you're saying bring back Bruce Campbell?