Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

I took these snipets from this article....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-rookie-eric-stokes-gets-101206237.html

On MVS...

The most distinguishable sign of encouragement involves the consistency with which the 6-4, 206-pounder has performed during camp.

"We’ve seen a lot of growth of Marquez," LaFleur said. "He did some unbelievable things in that NFC championship game. Now, it’s about building on that performance with the consistency that we’ve seen in camp that makes you excited."

On Jenkins...

"I’ve never been around a guy that can play five different positions," LaFleur said. "He can play anything and has given us so much flexibility on the offensive line. … One of the best guards in the game, but he can play tackle, he can play center and can be one of the best at those positions as well. He’s got rare ability and for his ability to go in a game and play multiple positions, you can’t typically find anybody like that."

On Alexander, Amos and Savage

"LaFleur raved about the growth he has seen in fourth-year cornerback Jaire Alexander and third-year safety Darnell Savage, and praised the leadership of sixth-year safety Adrian Amos."

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Those guys are good to have on speed dial, but not a great idea to have on payroll.

I'm not saying he's making the final 53, but it's worth investing into further development on the PS so that we're prepared for 2022 in the event Adams and MVS leave and we're not happy with the rest of the WR or God forbid someone goes down.

14 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

This may be a clue as to why the Packers, to the surprise of a lot people, took Myers over Creed Humphrey. A big part of playing Center in the NFL happens before the snap.

I've been down on the Myers pick almost solely due to some of his athletic shortcomings. However, nobody can argue against the fact that Myers has a high football IQ, which is almost solely his way to success in the league other than being 6-5 310.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

starting to get a little more excited for this team

maybe Rodgers' master plan was to drum up drama to build team chemistry around. He's brilliant, I've always loved him.

I've remained excited. The regurgitated media line of the Packers being talentless aside from 12 is so stupid and ignorant. its persisted from before gutey remade the roster. This team is talented and deep, aside from a few somewhat obvious positions (IDL, CB depth, and MLB). If gutey solved those those free agency/draft I think GB will be better than 2020.

The worst misconception of all is GB having only 1 weapon at WR/Pass Catcher. It's going to be a strength with this team. And Rodgers doesn't suddenly throw 50 TDs in 2020, there has been some talent there for 2 seasons now. MVS gonna go off and get a nice contract.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

maybe Rodgers' master plan was to drum up drama to build team chemistry around. He's brilliant, I've always loved him.

That right there is pure gold! 

22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I've remained excited. The regurgitated media line of the Packers being talentless aside from 12 is so stupid and ignorant. its persisted from before gutey remade the roster. This team is talented and deep, aside from a few somewhat obvious positions (IDL, CB depth, and MLB). If gutey solved those those free agency/draft I think GB will be better than 2020.

The worst misconception of all is GB having only 1 weapon at WR/Pass Catcher. It's going to be a strength with this team. And Rodgers doesn't suddenly throw 50 TDs in 2020, there has been some talent there for 2 seasons now. MVS gonna go off and get a nice contract.

Get him and Tonyan extended right now. Give them guaranteed money until we can free up some cash next year. Then convert salary to bonus next year. There has to be a creative way to do this without screwing the 2022 cap any further. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I've been down on the Myers pick almost solely due to some of his athletic shortcomings. However, nobody can argue against the fact that Myers has a high football IQ, which is almost solely his way to success in the league other than being 6-5 310.

I loved the Myers pick, although I admit I liked Creed taken with the next pick a tad better.  In the Packers system, I was wrong for sure.  The Packers like most teams like versatile linemen but Myers was drafted for one position and he's playing it.  I believe he will for a very long time.  Bak made a comment stating for a guy of Myers size if you play center he would have thought you're either a bad athlete or you're bad at football (to paraphrase).  Bak said Myers is neither, he has been impressed.

Runyan at the same time claims he's never had any real snaps at OT.  Just inside.  I think they want him to master playing in the booth before they expand his horizons.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I've been exciting about this team all along. Think we are the clear No. 2 favorite in the NFC behind the Bucs and that's mostly because I think the Bucs have an easier schedule, at least on paper. 

I think our offense is going to be dominant again this season. I expect another MVP-type year from 12 and we've added weapons as well. 

My sole concern remains the defense, particularly in three specific areas: (1) Barry, (2) King, to a lesser extent (3) DL. The first is more of an unknown vs. concern as we just don't know what to expect from Barry who has struggled in the past but has a more talented group in Green Bay. Will the defense click under him or not? That will go a long way to determine how good the unit is this season. Second, IMO King is still the biggest risk on this defense. He plays an important position and if he doesn't rebound from last season, we have a problem at a position where you really can't afford to have a problem. I was never in favor in resigning King, and I still think that was the most questionable move of the off-season by Gute. Third, I still don't know whether this DL is good enough with guys like Lowry and Lancaster playing a lot of meaningful snaps, but I'm resting my hopes on Keke making a jump and the scheme being better for Lowry's skill-set. 

Our offense is SB ready. The defense I'm not sure on, but there's a lot of talent to be excited about. Hopefully, Barry can make it all work. 

• Like 1

This defense is going to be as good as Gary and Savage.

Really, it rests on them to become forces this year.  That happens, and it all falls into place.

Without them improving, it's last year all over again.  Which isn't bad, it just isn't elite either.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Really, it rests on them to become forces this year.  That happens, and it all falls into place.

Without them improving, it's last year all over again.  Which isn't bad, it just isn't elite either.

There's so many blue chippers on this defense and potential blue chippers that it SHOULD be pretty easily a top 10 unit. But DL is thin, so sustaining bad breaks there would be very tough. If the universe aligns, this could be a top 3-5 unit, however. If not, middle of pack like last year.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The pass rush will definitely be key. It fell off last year with Preston's down year and also a down year from Clark for 75% of the season while he was dealing with the groin. Even Z wasn't as dominant as 2019 despite good numbers. Need Preston to rebound and Gary to take that jump. Add in a more consistent year from Keke from a pass rush standpoint. That will help our CBs, especially King, but it works the other way as well. We had way too many conversions last year where we had a rusher breaking through only to see the QB hit the WR for 8 yards on 3rd and 6 because King was 12 yards off or Sullivan, etc. Whether that was Pettine's BS scheme or King just being unsure of himself, it sucked. Can't have that weak link on defense or the top QBs will eat it alive regardless of what pressure you send at them. I want to see that more aggressive 2019 version of King this season, and for that matter, Sullivan as well. 

Edited by packfanfb

I think Campbell will be a real key. If his coverage ability (his specialty is covering Tight Ends) allows the Packers to play more nickel or even base, that will help the run defense. It's hard to be a good run defense when you play as much dime defense as the Packers played last year.

https://lombardiave.com/2021/08/13/packers-exchanging-dimes-nickels/

While the nickel becomes by far the league’s most popular defense, Mike Pettine and the Green Bay Packers weren’t interested. They played the least amount of nickel out of any team in the league at just 27 percent.

While the rest of the league was busy running nickel, Mike Pettine’s unit played more dime defense (six DBs) than any other team in football, at a whopping 50 percent. The rest of the NFL only played dime on around 13 percent of snaps, with some teams using it just once or twice all year.

23 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think Campbell will be a real key. If his coverage ability (his specialty is covering Tight Ends) allows the Packers to play more nickel or even base, that will help the run defense. It's hard to be a good run defense when you play as much dime defense as the Packers played last year.

https://lombardiave.com/2021/08/13/packers-exchanging-dimes-nickels/

I agree. Gut tells me the Campbell signing is one folks are going to be lauding later this season and remembering how much they approved of it months ago (rightly or wrongly lol)