Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

This defense is going to be as good as Gary and Savage.

Really, it rests on them to become forces this year.  That happens, and it all falls into place.

Without them improving, it's last year all over again.  Which isn't bad, it just isn't elite either.

It also depends on the coach. I don't think Pettine could have gotten us to top 10. We shall see on Barry. 

I think Smith-Smith-Gary are really central to how good the defense might be.  There's the assumption that Gary is going to be really good.  But Z's been hurt; Preston wasn't anything special last year; Gary is injured now and was off-and-on last year too.  

Those guys working together might be a relentless force that is creating consistent pressure, and is also just fine in the run game.  Or they might variably injured and nothing special.   Or they might be a group that gets some pressure and numbers against weak lines, but gets managed pretty well by good o-lines.  

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We were 17th on defense (DVOA) last year.

This. If we are talking about points/yards we should do it in a per drive basis. We tend to have long drives and therefore our opponents attack less times during a game. Totals are going to show a false picture.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Didnt we end up #9 last year (?) or was that only in some categories and not overall?

Depends which measuring stick. I do think we are stacked on defense and as someone else pointed out, thin on D-line so need to stay healthy, but staying healthy is a theme for 31 other teams too. 

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

9th in yards overall. 13th in points. 25th in turnovers. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

Shhh, doesn't fit the narrative building going on right now. 

This is the old adage, "lairs figure and figures lie!" 

The only narrative is we have the talent to be a top 10 defense. With Pettine we way underperformed. 

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Depends which measuring stick. I do think we are stacked on defense and as someone else pointed out, thin on D-line so need to stay healthy, but staying healthy is a theme for 31 other teams too. 

Let's hope Gutekunst is looking at possible DL options at cutdown and via trade during the season.   GB has some cap space and picks, so making a move this year feels like the right thing to strongly consider

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Let's hope Gutekunst is looking at possible DL options at cutdown and via trade during the season.   GB has some cap space and picks, so making a move this year feels like the right thing to strongly consider

One of the good things about Rodgers making a stink this off-season is that ol' Gute might just be looking to make a splash yet before the season kicks off.  

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

One of the good things about Rodgers making a stink this off-season is that ol' Gute might just be looking to make a splash yet before the season kicks off.  

You would think with a smaller cap this year a few vets may be cut as business decisions. Perhaps a few more than usual. There might be a decent situational guy available after cuts. I'm not sure how many years a vet has to have in before they are not subject to waivers but we might find us some help after cutdown.

I do like the idea of 2 weeks after third preseason game until week 1. Gives a team a bit more time for any waiver claims to acclimate to the new team before first game. 

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Have we ruled anybody out because of injury tomorrow? I'm not counting on the stud vets to play tomorrow. Anybody else we shouldn't expect to see? 

I think both EQ and Winfree have been hurt. Funchess has been up and down with injury. 

• Like 1