Packers Training Camp 2021 Thread

packfanfb

Now that it's cutdown time again, can someone walk me through the practice squad rules again? 

Specifically, what does it mean when someone says we "stashed" a player on the PS? I know PS players are free agents who can be signed to any teams 53 man roster, so what rights does the team hold to their own practice squad?

27 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Now that it's cutdown time again, can someone walk me through the practice squad rules again? 

Specifically, what does it mean when someone says we "stashed" a player on the PS? I know PS players are free agents who can be signed to any teams 53 man roster, so what rights does the team hold to their own practice squad?

If youre on a teams PS youre still being paid and practicing with the team opposed to a street FA. There was some level of protection last year i assume will carry this year. I few players can be protected from week to week like a waiver period where they cant be poached.

4 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Can't get to PS without first being waived from the 53-man roster.  So anybody we want to stash on PS, another team could pick him up.  

This year, like last, PS is 16 guys.  Of the 90-man roster we had, 53 make roster; 16 PS; a handful get IR'd; not that many will go unemployed.

Like last year, two guys from PS can be activated per week.  But you can only do that with a guy a certain number of times.  

I believe on a given week, you can have 4 PS guys who are protected from being signed away by other teams.  Not sure how, but I believe that's limited.  Like, you can't do that to the same guy for 17 weeks straight....

A PS guy can be signed away by a different team to their 53-man squad.  

I don't believe a guy who cleared waivers and agrees to a PS deal can be involuntarily claimed to a different team's 53-man roster.  If Dallas calls a guy and says they'd like to add him to their 53, that player could call Gute and say, "Dallas is making me an offer, and I'll probably take it.  But, would you consider bumping my pay to stay on PS here?  I might actually consider that, if so...."  There is some precedent for a guy declining a roster-spot elsewhere to stay on a PS.

As that note reflects, I don't believe there is a fixed salary-scale for PS.  Some guys can get paid better than others, for whatever reason.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, craig said:

Can't get to PS without first being waived from the 53-man roster.  So anybody we want to stash on PS, another team could pick him up.  

This year, like last, PS is 16 guys.  Of the 90-man roster we had, 53 make roster; 16 PS; a handful get IR'd; not that many will go unemployed.

Like last year, two guys from PS can be activated per week.  But you can only do that with a guy a certain number of times.  

I believe on a given week, you can have 4 PS guys who are protected from being signed away by other teams.  Not sure how, but I believe that's limited.  Like, you can't do that to the same guy for 17 weeks straight....

A PS guy can be signed away by a different team to their 53-man squad.  

I don't believe a guy who cleared waivers and agrees to a PS deal can be involuntarily claimed to a different team's 53-man roster.  If Dallas calls a guy and says they'd like to add him to their 53, that player could call Gute and say, "Dallas is making me an offer, and I'll probably take it.  But, would you consider bumping my pay to stay on PS here?  I might actually consider that, if so...."  There is some precedent for a guy declining a roster-spot elsewhere to stay on a PS.

As that note reflects, I don't believe there is a fixed salary-scale for PS.  Some guys can get paid better than others, for whatever reason.  

I see now. I didn't know a team could protect a PS player. That makes sense, otherwise why would a team care about who's on their PS if they can just be poached by any team in need.